Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Went to Pattaya yesterday so the niece and sister in law could renew their Thai passports. We got there about 10 am and they were called in just before 3.30. The system has some pros and cons.

No appointment system available. (Con)

Must be done in person. (Con)

No countersignature issues, they take the photo. (Pro)

They also take fingerprints. (Pro or Con?)

No same day service. (Con)

About a week to get passport by post. (Pro)

Cost is 1040 Baht (Pro)

Lasts for 5 years, or less in certain circumstances. (Con)

No time addition for early renewal. (Con)

Between the 2, my vote would be with the UK, purely on the 10 year validity.

I disagree.

The simplicity, and cost, of the Thai system would be worth accepting he 5 year validity.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe no surprise:-

"Thank you for your e-mail the complaints department are very busy at this time and will respond to you directly once they have investigated your complaint"

Regards
Mr Alpin
Customer Contact Centre
Operations
Swyddog Cyswllt Cwsmeriaid
Gweithrediadau

Her Majesty's Passport Office

i'm due to got to Trendy in a week of so to put in my application...

can someone please advise about the "proof of address" - will something like an electric bill or my driving licence suffice, or will i need to go to immigration to get "proof of residency letter" ??

Thanks

can someone please advise about the "proof of address" - will something like an electric bill or my driving licence suffice, or will i need to go to immigration to get "proof of residency letter" ??

Thanks

You won't need a Residency Certificate.

I wasn't aware that an address was displayed on a Thai driving licence. If the electric bill is in your name that should be OK.

I used a UK bank statement and a letter from HMRC.

Thanks

I wasn't aware that an address was displayed on a Thai driving licence. If the electric bill is in your name that should be OK.

yes its on the back, but of course its in thai, other than you house numbers (which are obviously numbers)............

I used a UK P60 tax certificate with my Thai address on, but also had a colour photo copy front and back of my Thai 5 year licence. The lady checking my docs wanted to see the original licence and then stamped the photo copies as ok.

Your Thai address is on the back of your licence thats how the BIB know where you are from when you get stopped and have to produce the thing.

• Like 1

Thanks

yes its on the back, but of course its in thai, other than you house numbers (which are obviously numbers)............

Thanks. I hadn't realised.

Unfortunately, I have moved twice since I got my licence almost 5 years ago. It also has my passport number on - an old passport.

Off topic, but is there any requirement to get a new DL if your address - or passport - changes ?

Thanks

I used my electric bill, but had to get it translated. If you go that way get the translation done in advance. I got it done at Trendy on the day and it was 700 baht, would have been 300 baht if I went back 2 days later.

Thanks

Thanks. I hadn't realised.

Unfortunately, I have moved twice since I got my licence almost 5 years ago. It also has my passport number on - an old passport.

Off topic, but is there any requirement to get a new DL if your address - or passport - changes ?

I changed my Thai DL ( motorbike and car) so the number matched my new passport. Just get a letter from your IO. The driver licencing centre kicked up a bit of a fuss in Surin when I tried to explain the logic, because they had never done it before and in true beaurocratic style were scared of doing something without the big bosses say so. In the end it proved to be a very simple thing to do and just needed a new photo to be taken there.

I have heard of some problems regarding Insurance claims if the DL and PP numbers don't match, so better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Thanks

Here the proof of name address information you get from HMPO for the Group 2 region:

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• non-British uncancelled passport

• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• driving licence

• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

• immigration documents.

I wrote to HMPO explaining that the above list could be difficult and got this as part of my reply:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Hopefully if you live here in Thailand, you will be able to hit at least one of these marks

• Like 1

Thanks

Here the proof of name address information you get from HMPO for the Group 2 region:

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• non-British uncancelled passport

• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• driving licence

• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

• immigration documents.

I wrote to HMPO explaining that the above list could be difficult and got this as part of my reply:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Hopefully if you live here in Thailand, you will be able to hit at least one of these marks

thank you, very helpful.......

Has anyone experienced their passports never arriving in Thailand?

Much preferred the pick up at the consulate days.

What do you mean, in the old days they used to EMS your replacement passport straight to your home address?

Obviously there are many overseas UK Citizens still waiting (and waiting and waiting) for an overseas replacement passport.

However to date the worst delay reported on this thread is eighteen weeks; I genuinely hope that no greater delay is ever reported, however with this disaster created by the UK Government, anything is possible.

To repeat for the record: Paul 'No problem here' Pugh for the chop with no golden parachute, just a P45.

• Like 2

Farce,

Cant even get an appointment for renewal for 6 weeks, add this to the 6 weeks turn around and the minimum of 6 months left on a passport, you have to plan 9 months in advance?

Good to see they have streamlined the system

• Like 2

I sent mine off on the 1st of August, still waiting! I had to wait 4 weeks before getting an appointment at Trendy.

I have just had to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) from the British Embassy as I need to travel for my work, but its a pain in the ----! Cos you then have to go to Immigration to move the stamp on to the new ETD, plus get a visa for the country you are visiting (in my case Malaysia). My company wants me to travel to the UAE in September, but cannot on an ETD, so screwed!

The real issue I have is that my Thai visa will run out on the 9th of September, so even though I started the process at the start of July, giving two months to sort out, I may still end up an overstay! I think I will need to get a second ETD, then try and get a 1 month extension on it for my non-B, then prey that the replacement turns up in that time. I have made the phone calls and sent the emails, but getting no where

I sent mine off on the 1st of August, still waiting! I had to wait 4 weeks before getting an appointment at Trendy.

I have just had to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) from the British Embassy as I need to travel for my work, but its a pain in the ----! Cos you then have to go to Immigration to move the stamp on to the new ETD, plus get a visa for the country you are visiting (in my case Malaysia). My company wants me to travel to the UAE in September, but cannot on an ETD, so screwed!

The real issue I have is that my Thai visa will run out on the 9th of September, so even though I started the process at the start of July, giving two months to sort out, I may still end up an overstay! I think I will need to get a second ETD, then try and get a 1 month extension on it for my non-B, then prey that the replacement turns up in that time. I have made the phone calls and sent the emails, but getting no where

I don't believe that there was any necessity to have your stamps 'moved'.

You have no chance of having the new passport back for 9th September. What visa do you have ?

Just an aside. Quite amusing...but not for the poor woman involved.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-28818664

Not only did HMPO log the stolen passport against the wrong person, but it also seems to have taken them 3 years and 3 months to do this!

The way things are going in Liverpool, this will probably turn out to be the standard waiting period for new passports before too long!!

Edited by OJAS

I don't believe that there was any necessity to have your stamps 'moved'.

You have no chance of having the new passport back for 9th September. What visa do you have ?

The Malaysian Embassy told me that I had to have my Thai Non-B visa in the ETD, in order for them to issue a visa for my trip. When the British embassy issued the ETD they cut the old passport corners off, so no chance to use it.

• Like 1

well i sent my pasport off via trendy building on 29th may,received at Liverpool HMPO 2nd June, it is now 12 weeks later and still not got it back despite 18 phone calls to bangor call centre and 10 e-mails, told it is in the examination stagw,whatever that is total <deleted> waste of time,

well i sent my pasport off via trendy building on 29th may,received at Liverpool HMPO 2nd June, it is now 12 weeks later and still not got it back despite 18 phone calls to bangor call centre and 10 e-mails, told it is in the examination stagw,whatever that is total waste of time,

What???

Do you have the contact numbers for Bangor and Liverpool. Just in case..

*touches wood**

well i sent my pasport off via trendy building on 29th may,received at Liverpool HMPO 2nd June, it is now 12 weeks later and still not got it back despite 18 phone calls to bangor call centre and 10 e-mails, told it is in the examination stagw,whatever that is total waste of time,

What???

Do you have the contact numbers for Bangor and Liverpool. Just in case..

*touches wood**