Why aren't sports cars sold at dealers in Thailand?

Sabaisabai1

Just curious.....manufacturers like Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chev and so on only seem to put their regular, mass market cars and trucks for sale in Thailand. I've never seen dealers sell the Ford Mustang, Toyota Supra, Chev Corvette and so on.

Not sure why as Thais certainly have money for Benz and BMWs, not to mention Porsches and so on. I've seen the importer on Rama 9 selling Camaros but not at Chevy dealers. Is there just no demand for the more average sports cars or is there another reason?

• Like 1

I could imagine the horror of driving a low slung sports car around the area where I live. Even though all the roads are sealed there are still plenty of pot holes and slopes that would see the end of the suspension. So unless you are only going to take it on a freeway, it's just not going to be a practical car to drive in Thailand.

• Like 1

I could imagine the horror of driving a low slung sports car around the area where I live. Even though all the roads are sealed there are still plenty of pot holes and slopes that would see the end of the suspension. So unless you are only going to take it on a freeway, it's just not going to be a practical car to drive in Thailand.

Plenty of sports cars round these parts. It just seems that the locals prefer them to be German or Italian.

They aren't made here and the dealer would personally have to import it in hope of a customer at around 3.5 times the UK/ wherever price. It's the same with models such as Volvo, you order before it is imported by the dealer from Malaysia which get the reduced Asean import taxes around 100% all in.

There are several independent high end importers especially in Bangkok plus of course the dealers in Parago- Maseratis, Lamborghini, Porsche, Lotus, Rolls etc. Don't know if any are official dealers or independent.

• Like 2

Plenty of sports cars round these parts. It just seems that the locals prefer them to be German or Italian.

What "parts" are you talking about?

The parts where I live.

• Like 2

Just thought it seemed a bit nosey. Bangkok, if you must know.

Can we get back to talking about cars now?

Nosey? I didn't ask for your street address did I? I just wanted to know an area that had roads good enough for sports cars.

• Like 2

Is it even possible for Ford or Chevrolet to sell LHD vehicles from their showrooms here ?

They both make RHD versions of their sports models these days.

I know both Ford and GM are planning a RHD version of their respective "sports" cars but I did not know that had actually happened yet, Thanks for the update.

Edited by Don Mega

Following Clarksons lead eh? whistling.giftongue.png

But in answer to the Op's question, as far as most American sports cars goes this market is just not worth the hassle when they can make sales in places like China and have much less hassle for a much larger market and profit margin so it's left more to the grey market importers to deal with. GM was one of the first manufacturers to produce in China just behind VW. FYI that's also the reason even VW and some others pulled out of this market some years ago and are just now slowly making a way back.

Replace slopes with ramps, I'd hate to be accused of making a racial slur.

• Like 2

And now for the real answer.. :P

Any car with > 3.0L engine, or > 220 HP gets 111.1% excise tax vs 13-30% for most mainstream cars.. As a result, the mainstream brands don't bother, because at the resulting prices, people expect a prestige nameplate - not Ford, Chev etc.

Basically that's the same answer but just more direct and an additional part but not necessarily the ONLY reason. That's what I was eluding to with describing the "hassle" of selling there, pretty sure Arthur was intimating the same thing..

But in answer to the Op's question, as far as most American sports cars goes this market is just not worth the hassle when they can make sales in places like China and have much less hassle for a much larger market and profit margin so it's left more to the grey market importers to deal with. GM was one of the first manufacturers to produce in China just behind VW. FYI that's also the reason even VW and some others pulled out of this market some years ago and are just now slowly making a way back.

I get it, just a light hearted post, you are speaking of speed bumps I take it?

I agree, there are plenty of roads capable of accommodating sports cars, especially in Bangkok. A factory sports car is not usually lowered so low as to make it unusable on common streets, obviously in the high dollar brackets there are exceptions but even those are sold and bought in Thailand.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Basically that's the same answer but just more direct and an additional part but not necessarily the ONLY reason. That's what I was eluding to with describing the "hassle" of selling there, pretty sure Arthur was intimating the same thing..

There's simply no business case to stock parts, train staff, do marketing etc for a USD $150K+ Chev that no-one wants to buy ;)

I get it, just a light hearted post, you are speaking of speed bumps I take it?

I agree, there are plenty of roads capable of accommodating sports cars, especially in Bangkok. A factory sports car is not usually lowered so low as to make it unusable on common streets, obviously in the high dollar brackets there are exceptions but even those are sold and bought in Thailand.

Speed humps, ramps into driveways etc. All designed to at least rip off the spoiler or mufflers.

Well it's not 150k in the real world so that's my point exactly. Not "no one" but like so many other sports cars, "few" can "afford" to buy, I'd wager there'd be a better market for cars like the Vette were it able to be competitive in price without nonsensical taxes to line the pockets of the corrupt elite in power versus ANY other Euro car in it's class given price versus package and performance.. If there wasn't it'd be strictly about market intelligence and not about product.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have been coming to Thailand since 1999 and lived here in Bangkok the past 3 years. Since I have a 1970 Corvette Stingray stored back in the USA I have always been on the lookout for them here. I know there are some but I had never seen one myself until 2 weeks ago. My Girlfriend and I were driving to a National Park and we were about 70 Kilometers north of Bangkok when out of the blue I seen what appeared to be a 2014 Corvette. Being in heavy traffic and because it turned off the highway I didn't get a real good look at it. I am sure it cost the owner a pretty penny to ship it here, I kind of doubt that he could get one through a dealership here but again I am not sure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

American 'sports' models don't seem to be widely sold in Europe, either. I don't think they're especially popular outside the US. Toyota stopped making the Supra ten years ago.

Toyota makes GT86

Thought about bringing my Lexus sports car when I shipped.....wasn't aware of the HP/displacement limitations - what kept me from bringing it was the roads around CM and the lack of knowledge/service/parts support - it was LHD so probably not good on the one lanes....especially with my driving style.....xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

Tried bringing one of my 4x4's - hope whoever ended up seeing it and wanting it is enjoying it....after a 720,000B I abandoned the chase rather than ship back to the states and have 3 vehicles back there in storage (one driver).....

Edited by pgrahmm

Parts is parts...

The parts where I live.

The world hates a smart arse.