PM approves 100 million baht budget for improvement of waterways in Isaan

webfact

PM approves 100 million baht budget for improvement of waterways in Isaan

KHON KAEN, 20 Novemnber 2014 (NNT)-Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has approved a budget of 100 million baht proposed for the improvement of water supply in the northeastern region.

General Prayut said during his visit to the region that the government was determined to achieve the sustainability of water management nationwide, and that the government's efforts were not for political gains.

The Prime Minister also attended a meeting with 20 provincial governors, during which they were told to assure supplies of water for consumption, agricultural zoning and flood prevention in their respective provinces.

The budget of 40 million baht has been given a green light to restore water sources in Kranuan district, Khon Kaen province, in order to ensure sufficient supplies of water for consumption for residents year round.

In Kalasin, General Prayut was briefed on the water management and drought crisis mitigating plans. Another 100 million baht budget was approved for the repair of the Lampao Dam irrigation system.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-20 footer_n.gif

As far as I can see from the river system in the North East (Nissan) the water drains back towards the Mekong and drank down that river system.

It is good news that the Govt will spend 100 Million Baht on the waterways in this area but really its the North that needs more control of water.

The North or Chiang Mia way is where a lot of water comes from that drains down through the Bangkok area.

• Like 2

As far as I can see from the river system in the North East (Nissan) the water drains back towards the Mekong and drank down that river system.

It is good news that the Govt will spend 100 Million Baht on the waterways in this area but really its the North that needs more control of water.

The North or Chiang Mia way is where a lot of water comes from that drains down through the Bangkok area.

There is more to Thailand than Bangkok - Isaan does have flood problems as well.

• Like 1

Yes you are correct.

However because of the higher elevation as far as I can see it drains away quite quickly.

Where I live Google Earth puts it at 800 metres above sea level and the only flooding is a few streets when the rain is extra heavy or continued and then after an hour or so the water is all gone.

Please excuse my typo errors in first post above.

Yes you are correct.

However because of the higher elevation as far as I can see it drains away quite quickly.

Where I live Google Earth puts it at 800 metres above sea level and the only flooding is a few streets when the rain is extra heavy or continued and then after an hour or so the water is all gone.

Please excuse my typo errors in first post above.

A lot of that is very flat plateau.

I get what you are saying though and am frustrated with how Thailand seems to lurch from feast to famine wrt water resources.

Yes i too am frustrated with the lurch from feat to famine that occurs here.

Mind you though I don't see anyone with out enough food to live on like some (other) third word countries.

There is a definite need to manage the water in a better way.

Regards

• Like 1