Amazon levying import duties on CDs ?

Just placed an order for the new Springsteen boxed set and this was the breakdown:

Order Summary
Items: AUD 90.48 Shipping & handling: AUD 21.69 Total before tax: AUD 112.17 Estimated tax to be collected: AUD 0.00 Import Fees Deposit AUD 53.96 Order total: AUD 166.13

I expect that the majority of the 'Import Fees Deposit' will be refunded to my debit card - the last time I ordered CDs from Amazon (roughly 4 months ago) I dont recall paying any import duty but when I put the purchase into the online duty calculator as a 'boxed set' it tells me I'll have to pay 500+ baht in import duties - hopefully this is simply because a boxed set contains more than the audio CDs : I could live without the add-ons but they arent selling the remasters separately. C'est la vie.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

While I'm on the subject of Amazon, I think any online e-tailer with a condition like this on their download service isn't up to scratch. I dont particularly want mp3 copies of my music - I can get lossless downloads for the same money or less - but I dont like being excluded from an online service simply because of the grid square I happen to live in. The devious will always find ways around these conditions but we shouldnt have to bend the law just to get access to a few files - this is Amazon, not the NSA.

1. AutoRip is available only to customers with billing addresses in the United States who have a U.S. bank-issued credit card associated with their Amazon.com account.

The reason for the restrictions on US customers is that is the only way that Amazon can satisfy the copyright holders since non US residents would not be subject to US laws regarding copying and reselling content

As far as the first post, it is up to you whether or not you "pre" pay the expected customs fees. If you don't get hit with customs your "deposit" will be refunded if you do get charged then Amazon will pay it for you using your money. As many have reported here sometimes Thai Customs gets you, sometimes it doesn't

I don't use Amazon but this sounds like a system eBay have just brought in called the Global Shipping Program

It's nothing but a con and I would advise you to look for a seller who does not use this system when and if you buy again

I don't think it's con. I think they simply collect enough fees to cover the worst case scenario and refund what they don't have to pay. When I ordered a £500 camera from UK I got all the extra fees refunded a few days after it arrived.

If there are import fees to pay, what company is going to pay them for you?

Amazon have great service including an excellent refund policy. I'd much rather use them than another company. I've always had great service from them.

Perhaps you can explain why you think it's a con? If it is I'd like some real information and not just someone saying it's a con with nothing to back up their statement.

While I'm on the subject of Amazon, I think any online e-tailer with a condition like this on their download service isn't up to scratch. I dont particularly want mp3 copies of my music - I can get lossless downloads for the same money or less - but I dont like being excluded from an online service simply because of the grid square I happen to live in. The devious will always find ways around these conditions but we shouldnt have to bend the law just to get access to a few files - this is Amazon, not the NSA.

1. AutoRip is available only to customers with billing addresses in the United States who have a U.S. bank-issued credit card associated with their Amazon.com account.

These things always start in the USA and work their way to most other countries eventually. It's too do with the record company agreements, not Amazon. I'm sure Amazon would love to offer this to everyone, as it's good for their business.