Pattaya to spend 60 million baht on 4 Beach Road drainage pipes

Rimmer

Pattaya to spend 60 million baht on 4 Beach Road drainage pipes

n6flood-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya will take 60 million baht of the money earmarked for rebuilding Pattaya Beach to solve shoreline flooding problems by installing up to four new drainage pipes.

At a Nov. 10 meeting, Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay confirmed the city will implement a variation of the suggestions made a week earlier by Thanawat Jarupongsakul of the Chulalongkorn University Department of Geology, which has been the consultant to the city on the Pattaya Beach refill project.

Thanawat said a 1.25-kilometer pipe, two meters wide, was needed running from the sea at Soi 6/1, the current site of four ineffective pumps. A 200-meter-long pipe should be installed at the Dusit Curve to connect with the existing drainage network, and a 47-meter connecting pipe at Walking Street, the site of another pump, he said.

Thanawat’s original estimate on installation of the pipes was 190 million baht.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-to-spend-60-million-baht-on-4-beach-road-drainage-pipes-42960#sthash.PZ6bVsyZ.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-11-21 footer_n.gif

Thanawat Jarupongsakul of the Chulalongkorn University Department of Geology

Thanawat’s original estimate on installation of the pipes was 190 million baht.

I am just asking why the educator at the Chulalongkorn University Department of Geology is also giving the quotes for the cost of the project? When do you bring in the actual contractors for cost estimates? The ones not tainted by graft & corruption?

A step in the right direction, but no time specified when construction will start. When this happens we will be lucky if one lane on beach road remains open until it is finished. A good move to help with the erosion because so much sand is washed out to sea with the water during flooding.

post-72597-0-07544200-1416593240_thumb.j

I think just cutting slots on the pavement to release flood water equally, and rebuild the beach using Sandsavers would be a far more effective and cheaper option, as the sand is replaced just move the further and further out to sea

I remember the days when low tide used to show 50 meters of sand banks, eventually we could get it back just using moveable concrete blocks

post-66911-0-90139700-1416632255_thumb.g

Edited by wobblyjohn

I think just cutting slots on the pavement to release flood water equally, and rebuild the beach using Sandsavers would be a far more effective and cheaper option, as the sand is replaced just move the further and further out to sea

I remember the days when low tide used to show 50 meters of sand banks, eventually we could get it back just using moveable concrete blocks

the new path was designed to release the flood water equally, and maybe it would have worked, but the umbrella people decided to flood the road instead by sandbagging it and no one could be bothered preventing them