Mother elephant dies from attack by deadly giant hornets: Lampang

webfact

Mother elephant dies from attack by deadly giant hornets

LAMPANG: -- A 22-year-old elephant died and her two-year-old baby escaped but injured when they were attacked by hundreds of the deadly giant hornets.

The elephant, Pang Mai, was rushed to the elephant hospital of the Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation in Harng Chat district of Lampang Thursday night with her two-year-old male baby from Chiang Mai after they were attacked by hundreds of the yellow and orange band deadly giant hornets.

However it took time before the elephant camp employees could take them onto truck to the hospital because the mother tried to protect her baby from people going near.

The mother elephant was attacked by the giant hornets on her face, stomach and eyes. She groaned in pains as veterinarians tried to inject pain killer to relieve her pains.

The elephant also had tears streaming down both eyes while she was being treated as her baby feeding on her milks by the side.

Camp employees said the mother elephant was chained to a tree with her baby by the side.

They were unaware that there was a big nest of the deadly hornets on the tree.

The giant hornets then attacked the elephant which could not escape because she was chained. But her baby elephant managed to run away but received slight injuries after being stung by some hornets.

But despite efforts to save her life, the mother succumbed to death from the powerful venomous stings in her body this morning.

Her baby still clang by her mother’s dead body trying to feed on her milks.

A veterinarian of the hospital it was the first case in Thailand that elephant was killed by the deadly hornets.

However he said attack by this kind of hornet was fatal and could cause death even an animal or human being were stung by five hornets.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mother-elephant-dies-attack-deadly-giant-hornets

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-21

I had two of those buzzing around me a few weeks ago. I hate em... Didn't realize they could kill.

I'm not sure one can kill, but many can. I think when they start to sting they release a sent that drives the fellow hornet crazy, that's why they all start stinging. It's horrendous.

Not sure what purpose they serve in the world.

The poor elephant had no chance, no way to escape, no way to protect or sheild herself or protect her baby. What an aweful death.

• Like 1

I had two of those buzzing around me a few weeks ago. I hate em... Didn't realize they could kill.

I'm not sure one can kill, but many can. I think when they start to sting they release a sent that drives the fellow hornet crazy, that's why they all start stinging. It's horrendous.

The poor elephant had no chance, no way to escape, no way to protect or sheild herself or protect her baby. What an aweful death.

You may only need 5 stings:

"However he said attack by this kind of hornet was fatal and could cause death even an animal or human being were stung by five hornets."

If these are the same type as the ones I saw in a NatGeo documentary, they are truly fearsome. It showed an attack by 30 of them , I believe , on a nest of bees. They killed in a ratio of 1 to a thousand, over a period of several hours, they decimated a nest containing 30,000 bees. They killed everything except the youngsters, which they carried away, presumably to be eaten later.

"However he said attack by this kind of hornet was fatal and could cause death even an animal or human being were stung by five hornets."

Yes, I was thinking one would only sting once, but that's not the case and probably being stung by 5 would be the same as 55.

It's un bareable thought. I'm sure none of the handlers had intent for this but these animals shouldn't be chained to things, they should be either wild or in sanctuaries. :(

• Like 1

Jesus.

I was not aware of this particular hazard.

A couple of years ago I got stung by one of these nasty hornets in my garden. I was unaware that they had made a nest in a large ball bush and I caught the end of a ladder that ai was carrying on the bush and a couple of them came after me. the sting was incredibly painful and lasted for a few days. I thought that I had got over it, but about 5 days later my ankle was virtually paralysed and this lasted for about 7 weeks. The doctor that I saw said that the venom somehow remains in your system and that it is reputed that if you get stung more than 3 times in you life by these nasty hornets then it can kill you, particularly if you have a weak immune system, so the young and old are very vulnerable. A few weeks after I got stung I remember reading about two local Thai's who were attempting to 'smoking out' a hornets nest in a tree (they were after the grubs) and they dislodged the nest and the hornets attacked them. One of the men died within 15 minutes and the other was in intensive care for a very long time and took some 9 months to recover.

We VERY VERY careful of these hornets they are lethal, as is proved by the very sad death of the mother elephant. Just imagine, that there sting can penetrate the hide of an elephant, so our skin is easy peasy for them.

I don't like killing things unnecessarily, but I had no compunction in setting fire to this particular nest, which I did after sunset when all the hornets had returned.

"Fatalities from envenomation are primarily related to anaphylactic shock or cardiac arrest. There are, however, multiple cases where patients will die as a result of multiple organ failure. Most of these cases were related to a relatively large number of stings. Furthermore, those who died of multiple organ failure exhibited signs of skin hemorrhaging and necrosis although presentation of hemorrhaging and necrosis is rare. There are two possible reasons for skin hemorrhaging and necrosis. One possibility is that the toxicity of the venom for that particular set of stings was particularly potent. The other condition would suggest an individual’s inability to effectively neutralize the venom. In either case, these stings lead to multiple organ injury. While not everyone presented with lesions or necrosis, there was a strong correlation between the number of stings and the severity of injury. Those who died, on average, were stung 59 times (with a standard deviation of 12) while those who survived suffered 28 stings (with a standard deviation"///// from the wiki.,fyi

• Like 1

I was stung on my elbow, the elbow really swelled up and the whole arm itched for several days. Be careful when you are outdoors enjoying a beer, I had a friend who was stung in the throat by one of these nasty insects. He accidently swallowed the hornet along with his beer. (wasps and hornets love beer) His throat swelled and he would have died of asphixiation if not being immediatley rushed to the hospital. But, i am surprised that an animal as large as an elephant would die from the stings (it must have been a huge swarm).

If these are the same type as the ones I saw in a NatGeo documentary, they are truly fearsome. It showed an attack by 30 of them , I believe , on a nest of bees. They killed in a ratio of 1 to a thousand, over a period of several hours, they decimated a nest containing 30,000 bees. They killed everything except the youngsters, which they carried away, presumably to be eaten later.

The doc is on another giant bee killing to smaller bees. Hornets are diff. It's better to check your house every now and then. I have remove a few in the past when the nest is about a few inches long.

"Fatalities from envenomation are primarily related to anaphylactic shock or cardiac arrest. There are, however, multiple cases where patients will die as a result of multiple organ failure. Most of these cases were related to a relatively large number of stings. Furthermore, those who died of multiple organ failure exhibited signs of skin hemorrhaging and necrosis although presentation of hemorrhaging and necrosis is rare. There are two possible reasons for skin hemorrhaging and necrosis. One possibility is that the toxicity of the venom for that particular set of stings was particularly potent. The other condition would suggest an individuals inability to effectively neutralize the venom. In either case, these stings lead to multiple organ injury. While not everyone presented with lesions or necrosis, there was a strong correlation between the number of stings and the severity of injury. Those who died, on average, were stung 59 times (with a standard deviation of 12) while those who survived suffered 28 stings (with a standard deviation"///// from the wiki.,fyi

THANKYOU Sir. Very interesting.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just one will do if you have an allergy. I work in the forests out here and locals regularly warm me off various wasp/hornet type insects, there is more than one that is potentially very dangerous. The indigenous people I work with are terrified of some of these, there's a very small type that I have seen several times living in nests in the ground and they are apparently really nasty.

• Like 2

Jesus.

I was not aware of this particular hazard.

A couple of years ago I got stung by one of these nasty hornets in my garden. I was unaware that they had made a nest in a large ball bush and I caught the end of a ladder that ai was carrying on the bush and a couple of them came after me. the sting was incredibly painful and lasted for a few days. I thought that I had got over it, but about 5 days later my ankle was virtually paralysed and this lasted for about 7 weeks. The doctor that I saw said that the venom somehow remains in your system and that it is reputed that if you get stung more than 3 times in you life by these nasty hornets then it can kill you, particularly if you have a weak immune system, so the young and old are very vulnerable. A few weeks after I got stung I remember reading about two local Thai's who were attempting to 'smoking out' a hornets nest in a tree (they were after the grubs) and they dislodged the nest and the hornets attacked them. One of the men died within 15 minutes and the other was in intensive care for a very long time and took some 9 months to recover.

We VERY VERY careful of these hornets they are lethal, as is proved by the very sad death of the mother elephant. Just imagine, that there sting can penetrate the hide of an elephant, so our skin is easy peasy for them.

I don't like killing things unnecessarily, but I had no compunction in setting fire to this particular nest, which I did after sunset when all the hornets had returned.

This isn't very scientific, but it absolutely works for me as an instant first-aid method for bee & wasp stings.

Get a cigarette or cigar immediately and chew it into a poultice and put it on the sting. It draws the venom out and the pain stops almost immediately.

Only effective if done in the first few minutes after a sting though & I've never tried it on these big Asian buggers.

My old uncle used to chew tobacco & slapped some wet tobacco on a sting I got once when I was a kid and I've been a believer in it ever since.

I got stung by a normal hornet in my neck! It gave me a buzz of fluttering lightheadedness but stung for few hours. Imagine what a few of those stings can do!