Be Extra Careful If Renting Apartment/condo At

Peter_Patong

I just want to advise everybody to be EXTRA CAREFUL if renting apartment/condo at Sukhumvit Park Condominiums at Sukhumvit Soi 10. The persons who run the place are not truthful and will take every chance to deceive and manipulate with informations.

It’s a long story…..

Anyway they refuse to pay back my deposit after my one year contract (1 july 2005- 30 June 2006). I have paid every rent accordingly to the lease agreement except one month that was 3 days late and therefore I hade to pay 1000bt per day in penalty.

According to the lease agreement the deposit should be returned to me within one month… They have not clamed any compensation for any damages, just tells me to wait, nothing else….

Is there a way to put some pressure on them? Will I gain anything extra by suing them or only get the lawyer richer wink.gif ??

I need some advice....

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same recently from my old landlady. Took her nearly 2 months to pay up. Try to pin them down on a date - not necessarily specific, but perhaps "end of next week" or soemthing. Then phone up at the end of the week and ask where your promised cash is - try to make them feel guilty for not fulfilling their promise.

If this doesn't seem to be working, try going round there. A firm but calm face to face confrontation (but not an aggressive one) is often very productive.

I had the same recently from my old landlady. Took her nearly 2 months to pay up. Try to pin them down on a date - not necessarily specific, but perhaps "end of next week" or soemthing. Then phone up at the end of the week and ask where your promised cash is - try to make them feel guilty for not fulfilling their promise.

If this doesn't seem to be working, try going round there. A firm but calm face to face confrontation (but not an aggressive one) is often very productive.

Prompt these things to be mentioned in the contract before signing, dates receipts and such. The landlady that we had was very careful with contracts. when they are written they become legal. She wanted everything to be correct, did not want to fool me. It could be that I had a large company behind me. Dont look for an apartment yourself, if you are employed let the locals deal with it.

Good luck. Did an estate agent find it for you?

I went to the tourist police when my deposit was refused.

I think that block and the one opposite are struggling. Lots of units are for sale and have been for a long time. Too many new, better units in the area and they are still trying to get top dollar (baht).

Sorry to hear about your all-too-familiar trouble with your former landlord over the return of your rent deposit. Take your Rental Agreement to the appropriate district R/T Police station and tell them you want to file both a civil and criminal complaint against the offending landlord, resident manager, and owneroperator of the building. Furnish the R/T police with the responsible individuals phone number and any other contact details that might be relevent. Bring a Thai speaker, your lunch, and be prepared to "tough (sit) it out".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT mention the one late payment; you've already suffered the penalty for that and all it does is to confuse the issue, your deposit.

Good luck

Sorry to hear about your all-too-familiar trouble with your former landlord over the return of your rent deposit. Take your Rental Agreement to the appropriate district R/T Police station and tell them you want to file both a civil and criminal complaint against the offending landlord, resident manager, and owneroperator of the building. Furnish the R/T police with the responsible individuals phone number and any other contact details that might be relevent. Bring a Thai speaker, your lunch, and be prepared to "tough (sit) it out".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT mention the one late payment; you've already suffered the penalty for that and all it does is to confuse the issue, your deposit.

Good luck

Thanks, I was promised a transfer of the money this week and then they said i will have the money on friday. But no money was transferred as i checked the bank state today Saturday. Should I bring a lawyer with me to the police starion?? People tell me that the police will not do anything but file the papers.

Can any recommend a DECENT and DEVOTED THAI lawyer from a SMALL law firm (1-5 people)??? The big firms tends to be unmotivated, they forget who you are, negligent with your papers, they suddenly quit there jobs, neglects to notify when things happens, and so on….and so on….

Edited by Peter_Patong

I just want to advise everybody to be EXTRA CAREFUL if renting apartment/condo at Sukhumvit Park Condominiums at Sukhumvit Soi 10. The persons who run the place are not truthful and will take every chance to deceive and manipulate with informations.

It’s a long story…..

Anyway they refuse to pay back my deposit after my one year contract (1 july 2005- 30 June 2006). I have paid every rent accordingly to the lease agreement except one month that was 3 days late and therefore I hade to pay 1000bt per day in penalty.

According to the lease agreement the deposit should be returned to me within one month… They have not clamed any compensation for any damages, just tells me to wait, nothing else….

Is there a way to put some pressure on them? Will I gain anything extra by suing them or only get the lawyer richer wink.gif ??

I need some advice....

never pay your last months rent

deposits are 2 months and besides that if you dont pay the last month's rent, the landlord will put a padlock on your Apt with all your belongings inside when you're not home. bad advice.

Or turn off the electricity, disconnect phone line, etc.. bad advice indeed.