DUI check lastnight

FireMedic

I went through my first DUI check point last night. I pulled up and rolled down the window. The cop was nice enough and told me to blow into the machine. I gave it a go and he looked at it for a while and started to shake it around......like to get it going or something. Then he started talking too fast and I couldn't understand. I looked at the gf in the car and asked what was going on. She said blow again. As I turned from her to him, he had placed the machine in my car next to my face, so the part you blow into my lips! So that was about the nasty thing I could think of at the time. Every germ in Bangkok from people blowing onto that thing just went into my mouth. I blew again and he let me go.

So after having the exposure equivalent to making out with every taxi driver in Bangkok, I hope I'll make it another week without dying.

Only once in 26 years have I been stopped for a DUI check (and even then PC Plod could not operate the breathe machine). But I suppose the BIBs don't want to disrupt their personal revenue flow or risk upsetting a little big man. Also only ever heard of two people being busted in all that time.

This one that you don't touch is "level one" course analyzer, It only has two or three lights. If you turn up red they take out the one with disposable mouth sets and digital display.

Coarse not "course". I wanted to add that it errs on the sensitive side. One can lit it full red but have a mere 0.02%. Limit is 0.05%.

Before anyone jumps on me the like the last time I mentioned the law - I do not advocate drunk and/or illegal driving.

I got stopped about 4 yrs ago. The cop told me to blow into the machine, which looked like a yellow microphone. He held it about 20cm's from my mouth, and I blew. I showed him my license and he let me go.

Same here. He just shoved in my face. I had no idea what it was, so I asked him he wanted me to sing. He said blow. I did and went on my merry way.

I don't get that, but OK

my Thai girl had a new car, and she drove better than I could have in that mess

and we sailed through check points, everywhere, never stopped, never searched, never hassled,

this incudes the military checkpoints in the north

we avoided DUI checkpoints with taxi's on nights that was necessary

taxi's cost nearly nothing in Thailand, to an American

I don't get that, but OK

my Thai girl had a new car, and she drove better than I could have in that mess

and we sailed through check points, everywhere, never stopped, never searched, never hassled,

this incudes the military checkpoints in the north

we avoided DUI checkpoints with taxi's on nights that was necessary

taxi's cost nearly nothing in Thailand, to an American

I didn't realise that taxis charged Americans less than other people.

Another perk wink.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

why anyone with a white face drives anything in Thaihand makes no sense to me

let the girls drive if they are Thai

What an utterly ridiculous and ignorant thing to say.

I've been driving here for 19 years and have been stopped at plenty of checkpoints in that time and nearly always waved through (although I have been breath tested two or three times - no problem).

I know several Thais who have been busted for drink driving including one guy I work with who got arrested last night, spent the night in a holding cell and is up in court next week.

Again, an utterly ridiculous and ignorant comment.

• Like 1