Lost Wallet

bhatmasterson

Anyone ever lost a wallet containing cash, credit card, debit card and various forms of ID and had it returned?

Went to an ATM this morning and withdrew 5000 bt. Dropped the wallet probably getting into my car. Is there any point in reporting to police? All cards will be canceled shortly.

I'm waiting for a feel good story to happen for me similar to so many I've read on TV. My business cards have my name and phone number. It's been 2 hours no phone call.

Lost mine twice once in a tuck tuck and it was returned in an hour. Another time in a Subway. The clerk went all the way through it 20,000 baht three credit cards drivers license and a card where I live. they called the condo and described me I got the call and went back and collected it. Both times not a baht missing or any thing else. Had to force 300 baht reward on them.

I sincerely hope you experience the good fortune I have. Perhaps it would be a good idea to notify the police. Also it might have or is taking a while for some one to see it.

• Like 1

Earlier this year I dropped my wallet in Sansai. Came home an hour later and the telephone rang. An unfriendly guy said he recycled plastic, etc. and had found my wallet in front of a temple. I turned the phone over to my g/f. She was very polite and thankful and tried to arrange to meet him and collect the wallet and give him a reward. In my wallet was about 8,500 Baht, all my credit cards, etc. He refused to meet. He said he would return the wallet by post on Monday. This was a Saturday late afternoon. The g/f said we had no cash and my ATM cards were in there. He said "too bad" and he will drop it in the post on Monday. He went on to say that he "had lost more than 8,500 gambling many times and it was not much money." The g/f asked what that meant and he was quite clear "the cash is now mine and I will return everything else, no need to cancel the credit cards, I won't try and use them." He hung up the phone. On Tuesday the postman came with a EMS package. Inside was all the contents of my wallet photos, credit cards, etc. But he kept all the cash and the wallet itself - paid about 2500 for it at Central.

I did cancel all of my cards immediately however...

Anyone ever lost a wallet containing cash, credit card, debit card and various forms of ID and had it returned?

Have you been back to where you might possibly have lost the wallet and had a look about?

In my case I discovered the wallet was missing about 20 minutes after I had dropped it. I followed the same route I had taken on foot -this time in the car with the g/f looking out one side and my kid looking out the other side while I drove about 1 km/hr. It was too late and the wallet had already been picked up.

But yes...good idea of course. You never know...

I left my wallet on one of the counters in Bangkok Bank KSK about 4 years ago.

It only had about 2,000 baht in cash, two debit cards and some other bits and pieces, including a name and address card.

I wen't back to the bank about 30 minutes later, but it had gone, no-one there had seen it.

I just cancelled the cards there and then and wrote off the money, hoping maybe it would be returned.

Never did see it again. sad.png

My phone fell off my belt while in DTAC office a few years ago. It was the old office in the old city, with carpets. I noticed a dull thud on the floor, but it didn't register until at the counter when they wanted to change my sim card. There was only one person waiting with me, but he'd disappeared by the time I realized the phone wasn't there. No one answered the phone when dtac called my phone. Not everyone is so honest here. Have to be lucky. It wasn't an expensive phone, but lots of info, pics on it....

I dont think its a Thailand thing, in every country you got people that will keep it and people that will return it

I actually lost my Oakley Sunglasses 3 days ago, I actually just thought I misplaced them in my room

and was too lazy to look for them, then the other night the cashier at Rimping said to me in Thai if I lost my

sunglasses the other night and I said i just might have, sure enough they had my sunglasses behind the desk

seems i just left them at the counter and paid for my food ... very nice to see

I've left stuff behind here and about 90% of the time if I go back to where I left it, I found that a Thai person working in the area saw me leaving it and is keeping it safe until I return.

The most serious was when Hubby and I were vacationing in Nong Khai and riding bicycles around the area. We stopped at the little mall anchored by the Tesco Lotus, did our shopping and in getting ourselves organized to get back on the bikes we left our backpack on the ground next to the bikes. Didn't realize it until we were a couple miles away and I stopped to ask Hubby to get the map out of the backpack. "What backpack? I thought you had it" We raced back to the Tesco Lotus because that backpack contained our passports, a large sum of cash, airline tickets and our camera. It was still on the ground where we left it, with the security guard from the exit of the carpark watching it like a hawk. Interestingly, he hadn't picked it up, but was still watching it, nonetheless. I don't think he had touched it. I wonder what he would have done if someone besides us had tried to take it.

Edited by NancyL

I discovered the wallet missing about an hour later after having a haircut. I went back to where I thought I lost it, ATM connected to a 7/11. No one had any information.

However, I am now happy to report that at 5:30 pm the wallet has been returned contents intact. A very nice lady who sell soy milk found it on the street where my barber is. She can't read English so it took her a while to contact me. She has received about 3 weeks wages. I didn't even look in the wallet before handing over the reward because I was so thrilled that some did the right thing.

I am now a believer! The good far outweighs the bad around these parts.

Nice one.

I once lost my reading glasses here; could remember when i last had them.

Even went to Mae Sai and bought a few just in case.

Then a month or two later in a restaurant wr ordered and the boy brought back my glasses.

They even remembered it was me sitting at that table two month prior.

How that brings a smile against my normal negative view of employees here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I dont think its a Thailand thing, in every country you got people that will keep it and people that will return it

I actually lost my Oakley Sunglasses 3 days ago, I actually just thought I misplaced them in my room

and was too lazy to look for them, then the other night the cashier at Rimping said to me in Thai if I lost my

sunglasses the other night and I said i just might have, sure enough they had my sunglasses behind the desk

seems i just left them at the counter and paid for my food ... very nice to see

Simply amazing how honest the Thais can be when you experience it. To often I think people are trying to paint all Thais like the scam artists. Yes it does happen all over the world but here it seems to me that for the most part Thais are honest in their own way. They may give you false information to cover up they don't know but when it comes to merchandize I find them to be very honest.

Before any one mentions the double pricing it is how they make there living the same way you did get as much as you can. This to can be found all over the world. Here also it is accepted to dicker with them on the price. That is for merchandize Government institutions are different and they are not the people.

• Like 1

I left my wallet on one of the counters in Bangkok Bank KSK about 4 years ago.

It only had about 2,000 baht in cash, two debit cards and some other bits and pieces, including a name and address card.

I wen't back to the bank about 30 minutes later, but it had gone, no-one there had seen it.

I just cancelled the cards there and then and wrote off the money, hoping maybe it would be returned.

Never did see it again. sad.png

I stupidly left my wallet on the desk of a bank officer while I was signing some papers. 20 min after I left the bank. I realised what I had done and returned. The wallet wasn't there so I explained to the bank officer what had happened.

She took me into the manager's office and, very fortunately he said no problem, we can watch the video footage. They immediately ran the tape and you could clearly see a guy sitting in the chair where I was sitting before suspiciously looking around before he took my wallet and quickly put it in his pocket.

Fortunately, they could identify this person on the videotape from his recent transaction at the bank. They rang him up on his mobile and told him to bring the wallet back which he did. 15 min later.

• Like 2

My wife had her handbag stolen from a motorway service station, it had been left on a bench outside the shop.

A month later it was returned by EMS to one of her friends in BK.

Of course our camera, jewelery and money were not in it, but our passports and bank cards were.

A bittersweet experience, we never expected to see that handbag again, thing was that we were traveling back from Hong Kong where I had brought the bag for her as a birthday present.

I used to swim at the pool at Centara Duangtawan, which could be popular with guests from the Middle eastern countries at certain times of the years. They often let their kids run wild in the pool area, unsupervised, even throwing rocks from the landscaping into the pool. The Thai staff was often too mild and polite to do much of anything.

Once, I got out of the pool to find my glasses missing. I had left them next to my towel on a poolside table. A herd of Middle eastern kids had been horsing around near my table. The hotel staff mounted a detailed search of the area and, at my insistence, went to the rooms of that family (four wives and their kids) to make inquiries. All that did was get their father upset, with me standing in the hallway wrapped in a towel, half blind because I had no glasses.

Well, nothing to do but accept the glasses as being lost and return home to where I had an old pair of glasses, fortunately. That helped since it takes a week for Vision Center to make a new pair for me since I wear bifocals.

About the time I got the new glasses from Vision Center, I came into swim at Centara and the staff handed me my lost pair of glasses. No one could seem to provide any information about how they'd turned up. Had they been located in the landscaping around the pool? Had that Middle Eastern family turned them in? Had the housekeeping staff found them in their rooms? I'll never know. Incidentally, no one -- not the hotel management and certainly not that family with the pack of kids ever offered to compensate me for the lost glasses. Instead everyone acted like it was my fault for leaving them on the table next to my towel.

• Like 1

I used to swim at the pool at Centara Duangtawan, not the hotel management and certainly not that family with the pack of kids ever offered to compensate me for the lost glasses. Instead everyone acted like it was my fault for leaving them on the table next to my towel.

in most hotels they have a notice board, somewhere,releiving them of any compensating of lost valuables etc etc around the poolside

the street smart swimmers, using pools , always heed the following

cover any valuables etc etc

out of sight,...out of mind....u know

its a top of a morning to allsmile.png

Last year i lost mine or maybe being pickpocket at Pratunam Bangkok.....credit cards, ATM cards and cash about 30000 baht....made report at police station was told could be the vietnamese syndicate..

immediately informed my banks....few days later and few weeks later banks called if I had just just my cards for purchases in Europe couple of times..of course not as cards had been cancelled...was told cards being used on-line....

If such loss happens, first of all is to cancelled all cards.....

• Like 1

I think we can assume that some people return things and some don't.

Same as anywhere else, unless someone has some scientific study material on this.

Agreed I how ever believe your chances of getting them returned are better if not in an area frequented by scam artists.

I think we can assume that some people return things and some don't.

Same as anywhere else, unless someone has some scientific study material on this.

Agreed I how ever believe your chances of getting them returned are better if not in an area frequented by scam artists.

Oh for sure, no scam artists in Chiang Mai.

Left my wallet on the counter at a food stall when there was a moslem food fair at the building next to Airport plaza. At least, I am pretty sure that's where I left it. Finished eating, and on my way out, noticed it was missing. Went back and asked about it, and though friendly enough, they had not seen the wallet, though the woman walked me to the logistics people and asked them to ask for it on the public speaker system. I was just "pretty sure" I had left it there, so assumed I was wrong, she being so helpful and all. Not bad looking either. Perhaps I had dropped it on the floor while eating instead.

Got the wallet back in the mail a week later, sans the money. Included a handwritten and signed note saying I had indeed left it at the counter, and "so sorry", but she had "very little money and my [contribution] was a big help", or something to that nature. I thought that's alright then, as I of course have "very much money".

Left my wallet on the counter at a food stall when there was a moslem food fair at the building next to Airport plaza. At least, I am pretty sure that's where I left it. Finished eating, and on my way out, noticed it was missing. Went back and asked about it, and though friendly enough, they had not seen the wallet, though the woman walked me to the logistics people and asked them to ask for it on the public speaker system. I was just "pretty sure" I had left it there, so assumed I was wrong, she being so helpful and all. Not bad looking either. Perhaps I had dropped it on the floor while eating instead.

Got the wallet back in the mail a week later, sans the money. Included a handwritten and signed note saying I had indeed left it at the counter, and "so sorry", but she had "very little money and my [contribution] was a big help", or something to that nature. I thought that's alright then, as I of course have "very much money".

Sounds similar to my experience posted above. To be honest I was happy to get my driving licenses back, my health insurance cards, photos of my kid, etc. It would have been a pain in the ass, I believe, replacing my driving licenses.

I have to admit I was sweating bullets during that one hour's time as I had transferred a large sum of cash into my Kasikorn account only the day before and my debit card was in the wallet. Fortunately I was able to get a Kasikorn rep in Bangkok on the telephone immediately and he was very sharp and stopped my card immediately, double-checked it, etc. In the end the guy never attempted to use any of my cards but I cancelled each and every one of them which took about 90 minutes and a few Baht placing calls to Thailand, Europe, and the USA. Better safe than sorry.

I left mine on the counter at a 711 , three hours later I find it missing go back and they had it on the shelf behind the register . Happy that I did not have to cancel all my credit cards I gave them a nice reward ..

probably all on the tape in the camera

• 4 years later...

in the mid 80's I was absolutely smashed in Soi Cowboy at 4 AM....I was so smashed that I didn't even know I had been there.........I spent a couple of days visiting the places I remembered I had been and asking about my wallet.........anyhow 2 days later when I wandered into into a bar in soi cowboy, I was greeted with "Sir, Sir, you left your wallet on the bar".......everything including the cash was still there....the cash was somewhat down but I had been partying so I figure it was all good so I emptied both my old and new wallets in that bar that night! I was in bangkok for another week or so and that bar was where I spent most my drinking time (although I did quite ever do a bender like the first one), felt they deserved it.
To cut a long story short, I was a young 22 year old who had already had a great affection for Thailand.....this absolutely nailed it. I knew I loved Thailand. "Long live the King" I said, and I was, and am, so grateful that he did.

On 11/24/2014 at 8:42 AM, NancyL said:

I used to swim at the pool at Centara Duangtawan, which could be popular with guests from the Middle eastern countries at certain times of the years. They often let their kids run wild in the pool area, unsupervised, even throwing rocks from the landscaping into the pool. The Thai staff was often too mild and polite to do much of anything.

Once, I got out of the pool to find my glasses missing. I had left them next to my towel on a poolside table. A herd of Middle eastern kids had been horsing around near my table. The hotel staff mounted a detailed search of the area and, at my insistence, went to the rooms of that family (four wives and their kids) to make inquiries. All that did was get their father upset, with me standing in the hallway wrapped in a towel, half blind because I had no glasses.

Well, nothing to do but accept the glasses as being lost and return home to where I had an old pair of glasses, fortunately. That helped since it takes a week for Vision Center to make a new pair for me since I wear bifocals.

About the time I got the new glasses from Vision Center, I came into swim at Centara and the staff handed me my lost pair of glasses. No one could seem to provide any information about how they'd turned up. Had they been located in the landscaping around the pool? Had that Middle Eastern family turned them in? Had the housekeeping staff found them in their rooms? I'll never know. Incidentally, no one -- not the hotel management and certainly not that family with the pack of kids ever offered to compensate me for the lost glasses. Instead everyone acted like it was my fault for leaving them on the table next to my towel.

Typical American instantly blaming others especially from the Middle East.