Help with SIP provider

Anthony5

I have installed Rocketdial on my Android smartphone, which obviously is smarter than me, and in the dial screen settings I find the following.

Configure SIP Suffix :

Set SIP provider here used for SIP(VOIP) call, it will add the string as suffix when dial the number.

When I click on it can enter an email address that is supposed to end on @sipprovider.com

I have skype installed on my phone and have a premium subscription with Skype, in which I paid for a monthly contract where I can make x minutes of calls to my home country.

I assume that with this option I can make Skype calls through the Rocketdial app. Right ?

If this is correct, can someone please explain how I go from here.

From SKYPE website

Skype cannot connect directly using the SIP protocol. If you are a business user you might want to take a look at "Skype Connect" which allows to connect to your PBX: Skype Connect for Business

//Edited: Skype SIP for Business

So if I understand correctly, this function is of no use to me, as my purpose is to only make outgoing calls to my home country.

To do that I will need to continue using the Skype app?

Or find a VoIP/SIP service hosted in your country that offers free or low cost calling options.

Skype isn't the 'only' service out there.

I searched, but unfortunately there is none that gives me 120 minutes/month of calls to landlines and mobiles for 2.89Euro.

Skype removed sip compatability many years ago. If you want skype use skype app.

That skype package is low cost but also low volume. 2c per minute is achievable without a fixed package on many sip providers, assuming you call landlines more than mobile.

These days landlines are far and between, so will definitely call much more mobiles than landlines. I'm open for suggestions for another sip provider, as I hear that the Skype app uses quite some resources, but price is priority of course.

I don't use it for business, but just to stay in conatct with parents and friends.

Edited by Anthony5

Voipfone and sipgate have used, both cheaper on landlines but likely more on mobiles.

Sure everyone has a mobile but most in europe have a landline so can balance it too. If you want cheap get them on skype, line or viber since they already have internet on their mobile so can talk free.

On my Android device when I dial a number the dialler asks me if I want to use the phone or Skype or my SIP account. I can also make this a permanent choice and avoid the question altogether, or pre-select a service to use on a per-contact basis from the contact list.

I dont understand why the OP's Android phone isnt asking him this rather than asking for his SIP account details.

Voipfone and sipgate have used, both cheaper on landlines but likely more on mobiles.

Sure everyone has a mobile but most in europe have a landline so can balance it too. If you want cheap get them on skype, line or viber since they already have internet on their mobile so can talk free.

30 years ago everyone in Europe had a landline, from the latest generation I don't know a single one that has a landline, though they all have a mobile, some smart phones others not so smart phones.

If everyone had Skype and Line and Viber and all the other voip apps installed on a single phone it would indeed be easy and cheap, unfortunately most have one or the other installed and many have none installed since regular people don't frequently call abroad.

if you have a voip app on your phone, try sip2sip. sip2sip.info

It is a free sip account. You can find details on Google. But it is a very basic voip.

You cannot use with Skype, but it might prove ok as an emergency alternative.

Probably it is me who is too dumb, but I have been reading up on SIP, and still not exactly understand what SIP is.

My understanding is that if I install spi2sip on my device, I can call for free people who have also sip2sip installed on their device, but not any others. Is that correct?

My point actually is that I want to use my premium subscription with Skype, or any other voip provider with economic rates to my country, through my regular dialer Rocketdial.

@KittenKong, I know the standard Android dialer has this function, but with the Android Kitkat version they replaced the dialer with one that doesn't require swipe anymore to make a call, and which in my and obviously many other android users an inconvenience. Therefor I installed Rocketdial which still has the swipe function, and thereby prevent many outgoing call made by mistake.

What's your home country - may be useful when recommending a decent SIP provider.

If you're thinking of using one overseas, be warned that jitter and latency will be a problem -ex SIP engineer here.

If you want to do it on the cheap, there are many providers who will give you a free DID number for incoming calls.

What's your home country - may be useful when recommending a decent SIP provider.

If you're thinking of using one overseas, be warned that jitter and latency will be a problem -ex SIP engineer here.

If you want to do it on the cheap, there are many providers who will give you a free DID number for incoming calls.

Can you list a few?

sent from my slimkat 1+ using tapatalk

Not yet convinced? Try out VoipTiger now

Register now and receive €0,15 in FREE call credit! Good for about 10 minutes depending on your destination. You can test VoipTiger for free, without any additional charges or commitment.

Do you have any personal experience with any of the VOIP providers I mentioned?

By the way VoipTiger was the last of the 3 providers I would choose, as it took almost 5 minutes to get their website loaded, which I hope isn't hosted on the same servers as their VOIP service.

Edited by Anthony5

Register now and receive €0,15 in FREE call credit! Good for about 10 minutes depending on your destination. You can test VoipTiger for free, without any additional charges or commitment.

Woohoo! €0.15!!! How much of that goldmine do you get if I click on that link?

Anthony5 - no, i've used sipgate, gradwell and voipfone. The later i used from Thailand for one of my research projects - I did experience some latency/jitter, but i think this was happening when i was passing the calls to a mobile device (not voip/sip).

Dharmabm - it's enough to test - whats the issue ? (or you can sign up and just dial 0800/freephone numbers)..

• Like 1

He gets none at all: it is not an affiliate link.

The text and link are copied directly from the VoipTiger website.

By the way VoipTiger was the last of the 3 providers I would choose, as it took almost 5 minutes to get their website loaded, which I hope isn't hosted on the same servers as their VOIP service.

The site is certainly a bit slow but still only a few seconds for me (3BB in Pattaya). Pinging their sip server gave a good result though.

Their prices are low, at least the ones I checked.

He gets none at all: it is not an affiliate link.

The text and link are copied directly from the VoipTiger website.

i know, i was just trying to be funny (AKA being a dick)

I use voipbuster. They allow sip access and even provide the connection details. Easy to top up by credit card or in some countries by direct bank payments. No idea how it compares to Skype but if you do not like Skype you can give it a try. There are probably a lot of other sip providers out there. But I like voipbuster. Qualitiy is good and a call from the Netherlands to a Thai mobile number costs 1.4 euro cents a minute. Only annoyance is the automatic disconnect after 1 hour on the phone.

• Like 1

From Thailand,It is better not to engage with service providers from EU. You will face latency issue.

No way you can use any sip client to register skype to make calls.

What is the destination country ?

Destination country would be The Netherlands.

So you think it's a better idea to use Asian VOIP services?

There is no need for incomong calls.

Although I am quite a techie (having made my living off of tech knowledge for quite some time) I still get confused about sip options. As I understand it there are 2 distinct situations

1-wanting a local number in your home country that can be forwarded to your Thai number that friends, family and business associates can use to call you, and

2-having a local Thai number that you can call your home country as if it were a local number.

First of all, am I correct in this assumption? Second, is there any service that can provide both without breaking the bank?

I've been a bit of an ass in this thread so far, but the info provided has been very helpful. Please forgive my previous indiscretions and help us all understand the issue more fully.

Edited by dharmabm