ThaiPeople and Soy Milk?

David48

What's the go with Thai people and soi Soy Milk?

Personally I reckon it tastes ... bah.gif

But it's widely consumed here.

When the Farm workers are fed ... the drinks on offer are usually a small Red Bull, a cold milk coffee or a small carton of Soy Milk.

Is it a Lactose thing? Hence a genetic issue? Gut Bacteria issue? ... I'm not medically knowledgeable.

Any theories?

While we are talking milk ... the milk the School gives out ... is it really milk?

Tried some one day and it was quite sweet and seem to have a Vanilla flavour?

• Like 2

Any thoughts on the School Milk (as per the OP)?

Excellent long-term planning! smile.png

I think, this might be UHT milk in some places. The issue of lactose intolerance could be less relevant with these kind of "milk" drinks for some reason.

Apparently, there is a theory (not sure if it is a fact) that lactose intolerance in adults is the default condition and we in the West just managed to build a higher level tolerance to dairy due to high consumption since birth.

There is quite a bit of substantial evidence for this. This is often used as one of the arguments by people concerned about animal welfare.

Apparently, there is a theory (not sure if it is a fact) that lactose intolerance in adults is the default condition and we in the West just managed to build a higher level tolerance to dairy due to high consumption since birth.

There is quite a bit of substantial evidence for this. This is often used as one of the arguments by people concerned about animal welfare.

Mate ... I learnt a new word on the Weekend.

Vegequarian ... a Vegetarian who eats fish and the like.

That's a new one for me too!:blink: What's a pescatarian then?
  • Like 1

Still dairy milk has become more and more popular in Thailand. Just look at Meiji milk , they produce all sorts of fresh cowmilk. So I think Thais are getting used to it. Walk into any 7 eleven and you'll find a big selection.

Edited by balo

Lactose intolerance from cow milk is because we aren't baby cows.

Milk is for baby animals thats all. Thats why human babies don't have a problem with mums milk.

Soy milk grows man boobs Ive heard.

• Like 2

No, that's a vegetarian who eats horses. One that eats fish is called a pi$$caterian, because they take the pi$$. ;)

Soy-milk (as soy beans) has high-protein content, and other beneficial nutritional factors.

Thailand, today, is a net importer of soy beans, primarily from Brazil; even though soy beans have been domesticated, bred, and used for food, in Asia since (estimates vary) two to five thousand years ago. I know a Thai man involved in soy import here; I asked him why Thailand was a net importer, and his answer was that it was a strictly economic outcome of the general less-than-ideal soil-composition for soy in Thailand, and the fact the farmer can make more money growing other crops in that soil.

Soy beans came to both the US and South America in the 19th. century; today over 70% of world production is in the US, and Brazil.

There is no scientific evidence that soy-milk is inherently dangerous for: infant nursing, general use; little (and highly debated) scientific evidence that soy-milk has any significant effect on hormone levels. As with many other foods, some people may be allergic to soy products.

However, if you look at the sugar content of the popular made-in-country UHT soy-milk sold here, you'll find it high (the lowest percentage in the LactaSoy brand is 3.5%), and fresh soy, sold on the street here, is usually highly sweetened with a cane-sugar (nam oi gon) solution. You can, of course, buy it unsweetened, or ask for very little sweetening.

~o:37;

• Like 1

I thought that meant Vegetarian that was allowed to eat horse meat.

your assumption is right.lactose intolerance they don't have the enzyme to digest milk...actually as most humans we (farang) just got used to it...

I think it's only westerners who have been exposed to cow's milk for millennia.

It also applies to many countries in regard to alcohol.

They have many flavours I stopped using all dairy products after I read some tested results as to what dairy products can do to your body and I must say after 2 months I do feel better in General. 99% of the milk here is made from imported powder! they do not have herds of dairy cattle here.

I get the original soy milk, nice in my tea, nice with my corn flakes and nice as a cold drink.

All the kids love it.

Lactose intolerance from cow milk is because we aren't baby cows.

Milk is for baby animals thats all. Thats why human babies don't have a problem with mums milk.

Soy milk grows man boobs Ive heard.

Mothers milk tongue.png

Large plump breasts with it on tap 7 / 11 yum yum giggle.gif

I believe the correct term is a pescetarian.