SCAMMED! Again - 3rd Time. Just Trying To Import !

I live half Maui, Hawaii -- Half Bangkok with Thai Wife.

I own businesses in Hawaii. I am trying to import Thai-made products.

We find dress and jean company -- Angela Fashion -- this time we do our homework. We've been scammed twice for over $500USD. This time we thoroughly inspect this business. I place order for 30 sample dresses -- send $257USD via Paypal.

SCAMMED.

They are gone. No longer exist. Location was "temporary".

Never receive the product.

Is Thailand Just One Big SCAM?

(this is serious to me. I want Thai-made products to sell here on Maui. I have Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. ready to buy!)

khob khun khrap, BigJules.

I let my Thai Wife, do the "due diligence" as I don't arrive until Dec. 2nd.

I thought it would be good experience for her.

My plan was to purchase just a few items, and then I come and meet them, etc.

She went. Met them. Was told their "warehouse" was in Koh Samui. Yea. Ridiculous Red Flag.

Your points are ALL valid and well appreciated.

I think I'll just go to Platinum Fashion Mall -- we'll buy what we want, and I'll bring 3 suitcases full back with me in January and I'll personally ship the remainder of our purchases.

SIDE NOTE: I have 2 friends here on Maui that import from Thailand and have been scammed badly. Each one flies to BKK or Chiang Mai, makes purchases, brings some back, ships the rest. They told me I'd get "scammed" and I have been. Three times now. (the other two times ....were, of course .... electronics related. I am stupid. Yes.)

Your mates were not lying to you.

The Samui factory was indeed a red flag.

Like I said try and go direct to the manufacturer if possible obviously better prices, and a more reliable service.

Pratunam market is a good option if your only buying small quantities.

Good luck in your new venture.

I have heard of a 'Angela fashion' - do they sell summer dresses with large flower prints? If it is, there is a shop on the corner of Indra square (pratunam market) that sell the same stuff. They have their own factory and can make to order. They are legit and i have used them for many years.

this happens all over especially in china. also includes getting things that are lower quality or different things altogether.

you have to go on business trips and tour the factory and meet other executives there and look at the product, not just place orders sight unseen. you need solid contacts or you just fall through the cracks, nobody cares.

your usually wiring funds as well so the money is gone.

• Like 1

You said you used Paypal? how did you send the money? was it paying an invoice he sent you or did you do the payment as a gift?

If you sent money as a gift then your not covered but if it was paid in response to an invoice then you may be covered under the Paypals Buyer Protection.

Speak to them, it's worth an ask.

• Like 1

Without being funny, when you are over next time, use some of your time to get a reputable shipping agent. Get your wife to source some of them out.

Yes, it will be more expensive and perhaps take longer for it to be delivered, but you will have a better chance of actually getting it.

Come to think of it, actually receiving something instead of nothing would make it cheaper I guess??

Don't take shortcuts with exports from here............................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

khob khun khrap.

I really appreciate the suggestions and comments.

* Agree. Little more due diligence.

* Wanted wife to do it, but she's a bit new to business concepts.

* After 30 years in technology sales, I've got to "re-learn" that not all places act professionally. I was an executive at Dell Computer and tend to think everyone is above board.

* My mistake, but not much money.

* Used Paypal invoice. I send wife money through Paypal. The very best low fees and she can put it in her book bank.

I think we'll just go and look and buy what we want. Bring it back with us. Find a good shipping company.

You Kind Folks Have Been Awesome!!!

(only a few took a shot at me.)

• Like 1

She went. Met them. Was told their "warehouse" was in Koh Samui. Yea. Ridiculous Red Flag.

I think I'll just go to Platinum Fashion Mall -- we'll buy what we want, and I'll bring 3 suitcases full back with me in January and I'll personally ship the remainder of our purchases.

SIDE NOTE: I have 2 friends here on Maui that import from Thailand and have been scammed badly. Each one flies to BKK or Chiang Mai, makes purchases, brings some back, ships the rest. They told me I'd get "scammed" and I have been. Three times now. (the other two times ....were, of course .... electronics related. I am stupid. Yes.)

So she did not see factory and warehouse, or?

Make a dispute at Paypal, you may get the money back.

khob khun khrap.

* After 30 years in technology sales, I've got to "re-learn" that not all places act professionally. I was an executive at Dell Computer and tend to think everyone is above board.

* Used Paypal invoice. I send wife money through Paypal. The very best low fees and she can put it in her book bank.

I think we'll just go and look and buy what we want. Bring it back with us. Find a good shipping company.

There is some huge wholesale market for clothes in Bangkok. Wife bought there something once and told me you need to go there very early morning (3AM?).

Can't recall the name.....but maybe someone knows........I am in technology and always avoided buying clothes.

khob khun khrap.

There is some huge wholesale market for clothes in Bangkok. Wife bought there something once and told me you need to go there very early morning (3AM?).

Can't recall the name.....but maybe someone knows........I am in technology and always avoided buying clothes.

Bobai market (not sure spelling)

Fool me once..shame on you..

Fool me twice, shame on me..

Three times? somebody needs to protect your money and credit cards from you!

Walmart???? You have no social conscience do you??

Maybe it is karma keeping you down.

Thank you Karma.

How in the F are you going to sell to Costco and Walmart, they are the hardest companies to get in with?

USD 500.00=cheap lesson, people have lost a lot more than that. I don't understand the Paypal part though.

Thailand=cash and carry, even then they will try a bait and switch if you let the item out of your eyesight.

"I have Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. ready to buy!"

And you are not able to find a factory but have to go to a mall to buy your stuff cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Please don't take offense.

You sent the money to your wife? And she paid for the goods how? Did she get a receipt? How did she get the money to the Thai business if it doesn't exist? Does she have another paper trail for the money? Did you ever speak to this business?

• Like 2

As I Have Said Several Time:

* Paid Through PayPal Invoice. They asked me to pay via PayPal and I like PayPal.

* PayPal is the best, easiest, and best exchange rate [vs] Western Union, Thailand Bank in New York.

* I often move money from my checking account to my PayPal account, then transfer to Phapassorn's PayPal account, and then she transfers to her Thailand Book Bank. Easy.

* Yes, we talked to a gentleman named Itay.

* Phapassorn believes the name is an India name.

* I asked via email about a BKK location. At first, they said they had two. Then told me they had no BKK location.

* Yes, RED FLAG with the Koh Samui warehouse location. All product was, as told to me, made in China. (of course)

* I just took a chance. Not much money. I wanted Phappasorn to take some dresses to her family in Tha Bo - west of Nong Khai.

Thanks for ideas, positive comments, and good suggestions.

To several of you:

* Thanks for worrying about my money management and credit card skills. I'm quite good as I ran a $765M division for Micheal Dell, and have owned 14 small businesses - 5 were restaurants. Wanna compare assets? Any Time!!!

* As to Wal-Mart. Thanks for being the "Moral Barometer" for the world. I was not aware of the coronation of one of you.

* Wal-Mart and Costco are our only two big-box stores on Maui. We are a small island. They employ many many people that are most happy to work for them. Personally -- My conscience is just fine.

* Karma has been extremely good to me. Thanks for the snide comment.

Best to all of you. I leave Sunday via China Airlines and am anxious to be back in my condo off Inthamara Road, soi 25, not far from the Ari BTS Skytrain station.

Lived in Thailand 25 years , My wife has bought lots of clothes in Bangkok over this period for salehere in the north east,sister also has shop sell new army clothes, never been scammed, due to doing buisiness ourselves.

If you require any help ,please message me and I will be in Bangkok mid Dec, when we could meet.

regards Derek.