Thai Charter writing: CDC panel mulls idea for 'limited amnesty' bill

webfact

CHARTER WRITING
CDC panel mulls idea for 'limited amnesty' bill

Olan Lertrudtanadumrongkul
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A proposal for an amnesty bill was discussed yesterday by a charter drafters' subcommittee as a way of accomplishing true reconciliation.

Anek Laothamatas, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee's sub-panel responsible for national reforms and reconciliation, suggested an amnesty covering political protests going back to 2005, and possibly including protest leaders and military officers.

But it might exclude those guilty of infringing on people's rights, lese majeste, and causing death, said Anek, who is also member of the National Reform Council.

The meeting was held at Parliament to review the reconciliation issue.

Boonlert Kachayuthadej, a member of the subcommittee and also an NRC member, supported the idea but stressed that it would not be a "blanket amnesty" because any such attempt would doom the whole process.

He added that there should be a strategy for listening to political parties and local movements to relieve their frustration at being unable to express themselves. This could help solve disputes and promote reconciliation.

"We should create a reconciliation mechanism for political groups and conflicting sides for them to forgive each other, and this might include an amnesty bill," Boonlert said.

Another member, General Ekachai Srivilas, said the responsibility for creating a reconciliation process should be under the constitution and Parliament, not members of the executive branch, because most of them were susceptible to conflict.

"It's difficult to restore reconciliation under the current situation because it is still in disorder, so a war room should be set up to monitor the situation all the time," he said.

He said the subcommittee should lay down three important frameworks, for negotiation measures including follow-ups and solving disputes, preventing further disputes, and ultimately reconciliation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/CDC-panel-mulls-idea-for-limited-amnesty-bill-30248491.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-25

And that won't be bias at all huh? amnesty for those of the selected political persuasion dotted with a few token reds for show.

Was this not the catalyst for the theft of the previous legally elected government?

but wait wasn't the proposed fast train also the previous governments proposal that now has the blessing of the powers that be?

Anything more you'd like to copy and claim as your own

Speak up we can't hear you, oh just get some new microphones I got a friend that can hook us up, she'll be right mate.

All men are equal, some are more equal than othersw00t.gif

• Like 2

And that won't be bias at all huh? amnesty for those of the selected political persuasion dotted with a few token reds for show.

Was this not the catalyst for the theft of the previous legally elected government?

but wait wasn't the proposed fast train also the previous governments proposal that now has the blessing of the powers that be?

Speak up we can't hear you, oh just get some new microphones I got a friend that can hook us up, she'll be right mate.

The previous government's proposal was to have a Chiang Mai fast train first. That's not happening now.

what a stupid idea

people like this should be immediately removed from any political body as they really don't have a clue - doesn't he realise what caused 6 months of protests and huge divide in the country - was he sleeping the whole time

• Like 2

The previous government's proposal was to have a Chiang Mai fast train first. That's not happening now.

I think it was a little bigger than you suggest, I believe the proposal was to link up China, Laos, too Thailand from North west, Chiang mai, and the north east, Nong Kai, Udon, Khon Kean Korat, too BKK, So just what is the plan now for the fast train???

I think it was a little bigger than you suggest, I believe the proposal was to link up China, Laos, too Thailand from North west, Chiang mai, and the north east, Nong Kai, Udon, Khon Kean Korat, too BKK, So just what is the plan now for the fast train???

The previous governments plan was 4 lines - starting with Bangkok-Pattaya, Bangkok-Phitsanulok, Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima, and Bangkok-Hua Hin, and then extending them to Rayong, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai, and Hat Yai.

The current plan is for the Bangkok - Nong Khai route and the Bangkok - Rayong route. Trains will only run at 160km/h.

Previous plan: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/High-speed-rail-network-to-link-Asean-countries-30188558.html

Current plan: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/thailand-junta-approve-china-rail-link-23bn

Here we go again.

"Boonlert Kachayuthadej, a member of the subcommittee and also an NRC member, supported the idea but stressed that it would not be a "blanket amnesty" because any such attempt would doom the whole process"

What they are doing now is dooming the whole process !

anyone from the CDC NRC NCP PUP POL ANC that even mentions the word amnesty should be immediately removed from the room and never allowed to participate again

It is honestly quite shocking that it is even on any agenda or even proposed

There should be an electric shock device wired to the table that has speech recognition software in the room at all meetings, anyone uttering a word that even resembles amnesty should be fried on the spot and removed in a bucket

I was for a while believing in Prayuth Chan-O-Cha but now I am not so confident - not a slight on the mans intentions which I believe are good for Thailand but I think he is having trouble finding like minded people to carry out this reform process, his position requires him to delegate as he can't do it all himself but I think there is a huge shortage of capable delegates that he can use, it seems that stupidity has no bounds in Thailand

The previous governments plan was 4 lines - starting with Bangkok-Pattaya, Bangkok-Phitsanulok, Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima, and Bangkok-Hua Hin, and then extending them to Rayong, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai, and Hat Yai.

The current plan is for the Bangkok - Nong Khai route and the Bangkok - Rayong route. Trains will only run at 160km/h.

Previous plan: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/High-speed-rail-network-to-link-Asean-countries-30188558.html

Current plan: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/thailand-junta-approve-china-rail-link-23bn

So now time to do the math on each proposal and the infrastructure purchased for the money, personally I like the original plan linking to asean counties.

But hey off topic, I say no to amnesty, you do the crime you do the time.

So now time to do the math on each proposal and the infrastructure purchased for the money, personally I like the original plan linking to asean counties.

But hey off topic, I say no to amnesty, you do the crime you do the time.

I prefer these double tracking plans to the very high speed plans. The whole system needs to be improved, but it needs to be done so that it doesn't cost too much for most people to use it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well that looks like a slippery slope to be going down! A crime is a crime and the police and justice system need to deal with it.

The 2014 military coup was a crime. Who dealt with that?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

anyone from the CDC NRC NCP PUP POL ANC that even mentions the word amnesty should be immediately removed from the room and never allowed to participate again

It is honestly quite shocking that it is even on any agenda or even proposed

There should be an electric shock device wired to the table that has speech recognition software in the room at all meetings, anyone uttering a word that even resembles amnesty should be fried on the spot and removed in a bucket

I was for a while believing in Prayuth Chan-O-Cha but now I am not so confident - not a slight on the mans intentions which I believe are good for Thailand but I think he is having trouble finding like minded people to carry out this reform process, his position requires him to delegate as he can't do it all himself but I think there is a huge shortage of capable delegates that he can use, it seems that stupidity has no bounds in Thailand

"anyone from the CDC NRC NCP PUP POL ANC that even mentions the word amnesty should be immediately removed from the room and never allowed to participate again"

Aren't you a little late with that idea? Articles 47&48 of the Provisional Constitution gives the NCPO amensty for its coup, "by its subordinates or by the subordinates of its subordinates, as well as orders and announcements issued by them."

Well that looks like a slippery slope to be going down! A crime is a crime and the police and justice system need to deal with it.

The 2014 military coup was a crime. Who dealt with that?

The junta dealt with that.

"Another member, General Ekachai Srivilas, said the responsibility for creating a reconciliation process should be under the constitution and Parliament, not members of the executive branch, because most of them were susceptible to conflict."

Why this continued deception that Parliament is somehow likened to an open and free-thinking institution? The NLA members were selected and appointed by the NCPO, of which 52% are military officers with a smattering of former Demoract and previous coup government leaders. The conflict of interest is no less than that of the members of the executive branch.

Didn't the protesters protest against amnesty? Why should they get they protest against?

They protested against the blanket amnesty. Most people supported a limited amnesty.

Amnesty is good, especially for the police (and the police chief).

Amnesty is only bad if it includes Thaksin and the Shin.

Since the Shin left, corruption has come to a halt, almost immediately.

This is the best proof that Prayuth is the greatest leader Thailand ever had.

Didn't the protesters protest against amnesty? Why should they get they protest against?

They protested against the blanket amnesty. Most people supported a limited amnesty.

That's like saying you want to get just a little bit pregnant...

Edited by dukebowling

Amnesty is good, especially for the police (and the police chief).

Amnesty is only bad if it includes Thaksin and the Shin.

Since the Shin left, corruption has come to a halt, almost immediately.

This is the best proof that Prayuth is the greatest leader Thailand ever had.

That is some good sarcasm...

That's like saying you want to get just a little bit pregnant...

No it's not.