Is Walter Mitty alive in Thailand?

mrtoad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a real contender; He must be almost 80.. Reckons he was the drummer with the rolling stones... Before Keith Moon died no less... He's too confused for words but his stories keep coming He bought a long tail boat (no money) in Bangtao and got the chap to take him way up the coast... Couple of days later my mate got a call from the reception of the Renaissance hotel asking who this bloke was. He'd booked in and told them he was expecting money etc He had paid the longtail boat owner a 20k deposit, he lost that. My mate bailed him out of the hotel - he'd arrived with no luggage and was only wearing a sarong thing. He told me his phone was a gift from Marconi and he got free calls forever.. I could go on with the stories but they're so OTT it's mental. He was going to buy a condo together with the leader of some African republic etc, then he'd go AWOL and pitch up 6 months later after a flurry of faxes and emails.. I don't think he was a blagger, just a tadge mental maybe?

He sounds like a quality contender. I love the Marconi free calls, that's a classic . One of the things noticeable, is that the stories seem to get taller and taller.

I met a real contender; He must be almost 80.. Reckons he was the drummer with the rolling stones... Before Keith Moon died no less... He's too confused for words but his stories keep coming He bought a long tail boat (no money) in Bangtao and got the chap to take him way up the coast... Couple of days later my mate got a call from the reception of the Renaissance hotel asking who this bloke was. He'd booked in and told them he was expecting money etc He had paid the longtail boat owner a 20k deposit, he lost that. My mate bailed him out of the hotel - he'd arrived with no luggage and was only wearing a sarong thing. He told me his phone was a gift from Marconi and he got free calls forever.. I could go on with the stories but they're so OTT it's mental. He was going to buy a condo together with the leader of some African republic etc, then he'd go AWOL and pitch up 6 months later after a flurry of faxes and emails.. I don't think he was a blagger, just a tadge mental maybe?

He sounds like a quality contender. I love the Marconi free calls, that's a classic . One of the things noticeable, is that the stories seem to get taller and taller.

Hahaha! That's quiter ironic.. He was really tall, I mean (compared to me anyway) 6'5.. 6'6 maybe. I guess he was harmless, if you didn't buy into his stuff and run around like a lacky trying to find him stuff (which my good mate did, he was so desperate to believe him it was hurtful)

I was not actually "at" Woodstock, but lived within 100 miles of it and several friends went. It rained most of the time and the spectators were ankle-deep in mud and there was a lot of Mexican weed around to make things seem better. So they told me. The myth making began almost immediately.

I dodged the draft with a sham medical condition to get a 1-Y deferment and I've always been proud that I did it. The Vietnam War was a disaster and a disgrace and I was nimble enough to avoid participating.

Do I qualify?

Yes - I owe you a beer and want to hear the stories - Oh, for you Europeans & Canadians, a 100 miles is not very far by US standards, now what was the name of that farm in New York made famous by that song??facepalm.gif

Mate in parts of Australia 100 miles (160Km) MIGHT get you to the next door neighbour - not kidding...

I'm going to skip all the name calling and tit for tat posts and just say that I think the reference to Walter Mitty is off track.

I think the whole point of the Walter Mitty story is that everybody's life is exceptional... We meet people every day that have been to incredible places and have done incredible things, and we have too at one point or another. Further, we all have a choice in how we live and we are usually the ones who set the limits on ourselves for what is possible or impossible in our lives.

You can live any life you choose to live and do anything you set your mind to do. It's just a matter of making the choice and relentlessly pursuing the dream.

It is true, and sad, even unfortunate, that some people prefer to spin tall tales about their fantasies rather than being happy with who they are... but if a person finds that too many of the people they are hanging out with are BS artists, they have a choice to make about who they are hanging out with and how they are living their own life, because you can't change other people.

Humm ... I've pondering of claiming any Walter Mitty fame.

Seems I sadly be lacking in that department.

All I can admit to is ...

Meeting Cat Stevens ... though, by this stage he'd become Yusuf Islam again.

I was a motorcycle courier in London, had to drop a parcel off at his London home

Dressed in that white skirt and skull cap and man, he had a long greying beard.

Friendly enough though.

Got his autograph ... but that was on my parcel deliver slip.

Ditto Christopher Skase ... a delivery to his Hamilton Home.

Only the Aussies would know him.

Arrogant Pig. Lovely home.

Spent a bit of time with Craig McDermott, Aussie Cricketer.

I was in Primary School when Woodstock was on.

But there was thing I did which gave me my 3 mins of Fame.

I did a Beer Commercial in the late 80's

Got paid $300 and all the beer I wished for.

Have the ad somewhere on a VHS ... I'll dig it out one day and show the kids.

Has anyone claimed the annual Walter Mitty yet?