Ebola monitoring: Sierra Leone man found and held at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Sierra Leone man found and held at Suvarnabhumi international airport

25-11-2557-14-08-15-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Sierra Leone man who skipped Public Health Ministry’s mandatory monitoring system for Ebola virus has been held in custody at about noon today at Suvarnabhumi international airport as he attempted to leave the country.

An informed public health source said Sese Samuel from Sierra Leone failed to show up on November 15 for health re-examination as a preventive measure for all travelers arriving in this country from three western African countries where Ebola is spreading.

A search for him has since been ordered by the Ministry of Public Health and cooperation was sought with the police and immigration police.

Although Mr Samuel was found to be healthy and did not have any symptoms associated with Ebo, the Public Health Ministry will want to reexamine his health after the passage of a duration of 21 days – an incubation period of the virus.

The Sierra Leone national is now being held at the airport’s quarantine centre pending medical checkup.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sierra-leone-man-found-held-suvarnabhumi-international-airport

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-25

So he arrived on 13th and it's now 25th = 12 days.

Not out of the woods yet, but certainly the chances of him carrying Ebola must be getting fairly low by now. No symptoms yet, so virtually zero chance of speading Ebola even if he does have it.

A lucky result for the authorities on this one.

So are they planning on holding him for another 9 days before letting him leave? Seems a bit harsh...

• Like 1

Just get as much information on his whereabouts as possible and stick him on the next flight.

If he does not cooperating now in giving information on his whereabouts and where he has traveled he wont exactly be much good if he is struck down with it.

Ebola 'suspect' leaves Thailand
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1416906826_1-org.jpg
Samuel Sesay (2nd from left) with police and health officials. Photo Thai Immigration Police

BANGKOK: -- The Sierra Leonian man sought by officials after he failed to report to health officials guarding the country from the threat of the Ebola virus, turned up today (November 25) at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, ready to fly out of the country again.

Authorities announced yesterday that they were looking for Samuel Sesay, 30, of Sierra Leone, one of the countries afflicted by the deadly disease.

He underwent tests on arrival from Amsterdam on November 15, and was then taken to his hotel. When he failed to turn up for a further check-up with the Department of Disease Control the following day, officials discovered that he had checked out of his hotel and no one knew where he had gone.

A national alert was issued; at one point it was thought that he might be on his way to Phuket or another beach destination, until he turned up today for his return flight. He displayed no symptoms of the disease and was allowed to fly out.

The Chief of the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office, Dr Kajornsak Kaewjarat, said, “I knew about this man from Sierra Leone who disappeared. To be clear, we cannot say he was infected, as some of the media stated. It was just that he had travelled from a high-risk country and was on the list or follow-up.”

He explained that the system for catching Ebola cases includes Health Department recording the address the person is staying at, then keeping a watch on them for up to 21 days. This includes periodic tests at the nearest hotel to where the person is staying.

“If one of these people disappears, we will cooperate with Immigration officials and Tourist Police to find them.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/ebola-%E2%80%98suspect%E2%80%99-leaves-thailand-49813.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-25

Never shown symptoms.

Isn't now showing symptoms.

Probably won't show symptoms.

Stopped because of his nationality and nothing else.

This has to be the worst comment I've seen on Thai Visa in a while, by someone who just won't accept the way things are done and can't see why they are done that way.

Why do you think he was targeted? He is from one of Ebola 'hot-spots' and was told to report when he lands. He didn't follow these instructions and put the Kingdom and its citizens and risk. He deserved to be reprimanded for it.

Shame on you for howling at the authorities for doing their job.

Doing their duty included losing him did it?

He had no symptoms and still does not.

Authorities quite happy to put him on a plane with other passengers.

How much of a risk did he ever really pose?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Sierra Leone national found and cleared for Ebola
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Immigration Police have located the Sierra Leone man who failed to report for Ebola monitoring as he was about to fly out of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Samuel Sesay, 31, is now with officials at the airport's disease control checkpoint pending repatriation.

The health check-up showed the 31-year-old man, who came to Thailand on November 13 from Ebola-hit Sierra Leone, had no fever and was healthy. He was fined Bt2,000 for failing to report himself to health officials as required.

In related news, the Public Health Ministry and 13 related agencies and organisations held an Ebola drill at Chon Buri's U Tapao Naval Base yesterday in a scenario that a 150-passenger aircraft found three persons with suspected Ebola symptoms. The drill ran from the emergency landing, personnel preparation, patient screening and quarantine facility.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Sierra-Leone-national-found-and-cleared-for-Ebola-30248516.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-25

This story though it has a stisfactory out come form a health point of view, just highlights how prepared the Thai authorities really are for someone with suspect infections coming into this country, and their total lack of coordinating preventative measures when a suspect does actually arrive, then buggers off from his hotel, God help us all.

In the end though a load of panic over nothing as it turns out . So <deleted> did happen in this case if he was he tested,?, because one report said he had similar symptoms to Ebola.

How can anyone take future threats seriously when Peter keeps crying Wolf ???

Flying into Bangers' last week on a Qantas flight the announcement came over just before we were due to land advising that anyone who had been to any of the West African countries in the last 21 days was to 'identify themselves' to cabin crew in order for Thai Health Authorities to inspect them.I nervously looked around hoping that no one did!!<deleted>!!

No surprise there. The Press made it sound like he HAD EBOLA and was wandering around infecting people. More sensationalist BS.

Not true at all. A childish and petulant misstatement of what WAS actually reported, which was simply that being from Sierra Leone he was admitted to Thailand but required to report periodically for monitoring, which he failed to do. Get your facts straight before wading into a juvenile rant.

Quite right too.

Nope.

So you think it isn't a good idea to check people from a Nation which is know to be ridden with the mostly deadly and easily transmitting disease of modern times ?

Please show me where I said that……go on, point it out to me….I'll wait….

To help you in your search please check the other thread on this story where I have also posted.

P.S. did I say I'll wait?

because I will.

Edited by Bluespunk

Quite right too.

Nope.

So you think it isn't a good idea to check people from a Nation which is know to be ridden with the mostly deadly and easily transmitting disease of modern times ?

To help you in your search please check the other thread on this story where I have also posted.

because I will.

Maybe I was wrong and you were just waiting for an opportunity to accuse Wooloomooloo of being a racist ?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

Please show me where I said thatgo on, point it out to me.I'll wait.

This is all very confusing. I'm willing to wait for you to get to the point, Bluespunk, because I'm completely lost.

because I will.

Maybe I was wrong and you were just waiting for an opportunity to accuse Wooloomooloo of being a racist ?

Nope, why would I do that?

I don't agree with him but I'm not calling him anything like that.

Edited by Bluespunk

Please show me where I said thatgo on, point it out to me.I'll wait.

This is all very confusing. I'm willing to wait for you to get to the point, Bluespunk, because I'm completely lost.

Pardon?

Edit: My error.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Sierra Leone man found and held" what sort of journalism is this?..they just racially profiled him...they other day i heard police were going about asking for the yellow fever card when they meet any black man.....all BS

Never shown symptoms.

Isn't now showing symptoms.

Probably won't show symptoms.

Mr Bluespunk,

Maybe you should read this from the OP,

"An informed public health source said Sese Samuel from Sierra Leone failed to show up on November 15 for health re-examination as a preventive measure for all travelers arriving in this country from three western African countries where Ebola is spreading"

It seems right to me that they were correct in holding him considering that he failed to show for testing and also because he is from one of the countries where Ebola is spreading,

In fact it makes perfect sense.

He was tested and found to have no symptoms. He still doesn't, so much so the authorities were happy to pack him off onto a plane.