Tallest tree on Phuket?

Gforcejunkypkt

This really crap photo was taken from within my garden.

The tree in the photo is huge. I guesstimate 30 to 32 metres. See house and water tower for rough perspective.

The reason that it has lasted so long, is that every year it produces 100's of kilos of a fruit called "look year".

A small fruit that comes in bunches. It has a black, velvety skin. Big single stone and a tiny bit of fruit that tastes sweet 'n' sour.

Thais love it..........you can never get full.

This tree is being felled as I type. A pity.

That's really sad...why did they cut it down?

I seem to remember some massive trees when I went to the gibbon rehabilitation centre up the north east side if Phuket. I could be wrong but I am like 90 percent sure that's where I saw them.

I bet you're right @Bogan, given that's all national park land I would reckon that area has some of the biggest trees on the island.

This really crap photo was taken from within my garden.

The tree in the photo is huge. I guesstimate 30 to 32 metres. See house and water tower for rough perspective.

The reason that it has lasted so long, is that every year it produces 100's of kilos of a fruit called "look year".

A small fruit that comes in bunches. It has a black, velvety skin. Big single stone and a tiny bit of fruit that tastes sweet 'n' sour.

Thais love it..........you can never get full.

This tree is being felled as I type. A pity.

That's really sad...why did they cut it down?

The only reason I can think of, is that they were worried what would happen if it fell down.

Three months ago, there were very high winds and quite a few trees came down in my area. I lost a big tree in my garden. The next door neighbour had one of a row of five huge trees come down (on my wall). After that, he spent 50,000 Bt to cut down the other four and have everything removed.

The tree also had many dead branches which could mean it was dying from disease anyway.

Still sad, though.

• Like 1