Thai PM threatens to bar Yingluck from travelling abroad

Lite Beer

Breaking news: Foreigners posting on Thai Visa who were previously self proclaimed yellow shirt, Suthep sympathisers demanding 'democracy' and an end to corruption realise they just hated Yingluck all along as they now switch their allegiance to Prayuth (the 600 million baht soldier)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Breaking news: Foreigners posting on Thai Visa who were previously self proclaimed yellow shirt, Suthep sympathisers demanding 'democracy' and an end to corruption realise they just hated Yingluck all along as they now switch their allegiance to Prayuth (the 600 million baht soldier)

Sorry, how does that constitute a switch? They have been planning this coup together since 2010, at least that is what Suthep said.

She's using a figure of speech.She is not saying that a real gun was pointed at her. What is with some of you people.

How many Thai "up country" people do you think understand the difference between a figure of speech and speaking literally?

My mother in law still refuses to accept Yingluck could possible have done anything wrong. Father in law and rest of family now just shake their heads knowingly. Not her fault - she simply can't understand the political machinations and complexities and has had years of "Thaksin and Shins good, others bad" drummed into her by red shirts, red radio, village headman, etc. Many of the intended audience of this article will be the same. It puts a picture of poor brave Yingluck being forcibly removed from office under armed threat whilst she was valiantly trying to keep in control. And yes, some will be naive enough to believe it.

That's hardly the point is it. Here we have a supposedly educated General who appointed himself PM pretending ( I can only hope he is) to not know that Yingluck was using a metaphor.

Prayut hit out at her remarks, saying to reporters: "Who pointed the gun at her?"

That is disingenuous at best but otherwise a patronising remark aimed at reporters who do know what is a metaphor and what isn't. If O'cha come across without his trademark defensive approach to what he regards as criticism he might be taken a bit more seriously by those who still have enough braincells to see through the hagiographic haze...............................but I don't hold out much hope coffee1.gif

I know many well educated Thais. They understand exactly what a metaphor, simile or figure of speech is. But they don't use them as Westerners do. I don't hear idioms in Thai with anything like the regularity native English speakers use them. I'm sure the General fully understands this.

He also recognizes a not very subtle attempt by this reporter to use words which many, many, poorly educated Thais would believe to portray poor Yingluck being removed by force whilst trying to cling on valiantly. Nothing like reality, but an attempt to "paint a picture" that they would like people to believe. A court removed her for acting illegally. She knew it was wrong, but chose to chance it anyway. As she, or her brother decided, on other actions which caused their downfall.

Thaksin has spent a small fortune on PR trying to play down his conviction, his outstanding criminal cases, his true position when removed in 2006, and paint him as a misunderstood innocent benefactor. That PR machine is now starting on the myth building for zinggy Yinggy. Brutally removed from her vocation of leading the Thai people - what a load of old balls. Anyone with a brain cell knows her brother completely ran the last administration.

I can assure you there are very many educated Thais and foreigners who believe the current government was imposed by force:that includes its supporters.Yingluck was the last leader of a democratically elected government forced out by a coaltion of aggressive street protests, directed judicial decisions and military pressure (and I concede her own lack of resolve).

You are also wrong that poor treatment of Yingluck would have no foreign or domestic implications.That is precisely why the smarter components of the current government are privately urging caution.

Your patronising reference to "many many poorly educated Thais" as well as marking your political stance also indicates wilful ignorance.Poor education has nothing to do with intelligence, and all the studies show Thai voters (of whatever background) make their choice on the basis of astute perceptions of their own best interest.

Do you speak Thai incidentally because your comment on metaphors and idiom is fatuous.The Thai spoken language is replete with metaphors and idiom as any linguist will affirm.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Who pointed the gun at her?" - If Prayut doesn't know, we've all got problems...

No one pointed the gun at her. She is a drama queen seeking attention. No one pointed the gun at her.
What planet are you living on?

Another one eyed post. She dissolved parliament, therefore it was she who left the office and is now trying to stir up her followers by coming out with a fallacious statement that you obviously fell for. She has a press conference and states that whilst she was driving a car containing people, forward, she felt as if some held a gun to her head.

Elected PM without qualifications. In another press release she stated that she wont seek re-election but would like to be a social worker. Again, no qualifications. Now a car taking people forward. Clearly no qualifications. No License, driving forward. Doesn't know R from D, as the car had to be going backwards in the same direction the country was travelling during the past three years of her government.

What Planet is he living on? The planet of reality not the planet of fantasy.

This entry is similar to some one sees on WaPo when President Obama is the discussion. Prime Minister Yingluk drives some falang into foaming lunacy, vide supra, the way some folks go on about Obama's African birth certificate. It's not a question of disapproving of Obama or Yingluck, it's a question of the mental condition of folks who are driven bonkers by the place in History of those two leaders.

Sorry, how does that constitute a switch? They have been planning this coup together since 2010, at least that is what Suthep said.

So they started to plan this coup in 2010 under the Abhisit-led government??

Makes sense. Not!!

Well that is what he said and if you consider the unrest in 2010 perhaps it does make sense.

“Before martial law was declared, Gen Prayuth told me ‘Khun Suthep and your masses of PDRC supporters are too exhausted. It’s now the duty of the army to take over the task’, ” Mr Suthep said.

He had consulted Gen Prayuth since the 2010 political unrest on how to root out the so-called Thaksin regime and join hands to reform the country, fight corruption and dissolve colour-coded politics that divided Thais.

“We spent almost 1.4 billion baht on our movement over the past six months. Of the money, 400 million came from the families and allies of protest leaders. Another 1 billion baht was from cash donations from our supporters,”

"We have clear rules. If something triggers chaos or unrest we have measures"

Well isn't a coup a trigger for ..chaos and unrest. hmmmmm. He triggered the coup, declared himself almost god

He should arrest himself.... I do not think he got to be chief of the army on IQ potential

Since that trigger has been pulled, where is the chaos and unrest? Haven't the nightly shootings and bombings stopped, the calls for a separate state disappeared, and the protesters and anti-protesters returned to their homes?

wow, an amazing junta ...

CheerLeader1.gif

did you grow up under a ictatorship and now find Thailand with no self-governance, no human rights protections, no freedom of expression, no political freedom, arbitrary arrests and detentions, military kangaroo courts, revisionist history, and full-on media censorship 'just like home'?

tb, do you mind if I add - no more redshirts murdering innocent people, including children, no more rice farmers taking their own lives...................................

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Who pointed the gun at her?" - If Prayut doesn't know, we've all got problems...

She removed herself from office when she dissolved Parliament. No?

No. That was an olive branch that she didn't have to extend. She effectively neutralized her office (a huge distinction from "removing" herself from it) in an effort to prevent impending bloodshed. She has been the duly elected and constitutionally vindicated prime minister since her election in 2011. The fact a vast number of individuals on this site have virtually no understanding concerning the binding nature of constitutions/elections, political cum societal evolution, and habitually wield visceral hatred against people and circumstances of which they have no first hand knowledge, does not now, nor will it ever, change this fact. This is not our land. The Thai people deserve better. The military did nothing to defend this land's government during a blatant insurrection, demonstrating what even a teabagger/ukipper could apprehend. There will likely never be relief for the Thai "commoner." That is an actual crime, and one of epic proportions.

Well said. 'Visceral hatred" is the unifier for those who oppose Prime Minister Yingluck -- a position she still holds legitimately. It can't be fun going through Life with that much hatred within one.

She removed herself from office when she dissolved Parliament. No?
There is no legal or automatic connection in the countries I've looked into between the dissolution of a parliament and the continuance of a Cabinet and a government. In fact, there's no requirement in the definition of a Prime Minister that a Prime Minister even be a member of parliament. Thus, Yingluk was still the Prime Minister when she dissolved parliament. Yes?

Nope. She was caretaker PM

You contradict yourself pithily. Yingluck Shinawat is still the Prime Minister of Thailand so "nope" don't mean nothin'.

She's using a figure of speech.She is not saying that a real gun was pointed at her. What is with some of you people.

How many Thai "up country" people do you think understand the difference between a figure of speech and speaking literally?

My mother in law still refuses to accept Yingluck could possible have done anything wrong. Father in law and rest of family now just shake their heads knowingly. Not her fault - she simply can't understand the political machinations and complexities and has had years of "Thaksin and Shins good, others bad" drummed into her by red shirts, red radio, village headman, etc. Many of the intended audience of this article will be the same. It puts a picture of poor brave Yingluck being forcibly removed from office under armed threat whilst she was valiantly trying to keep in control. And yes, some will be naive enough to believe it.

That's hardly the point is it. Here we have a supposedly educated General who appointed himself PM pretending ( I can only hope he is) to not know that Yingluck was using a metaphor.

Prayut hit out at her remarks, saying to reporters: "Who pointed the gun at her?"

That is disingenuous at best but otherwise a patronising remark aimed at reporters who do know what is a metaphor and what isn't. If O'cha come across without his trademark defensive approach to what he regards as criticism he might be taken a bit more seriously by those who still have enough braincells to see through the hagiographic haze...............................but I don't hold out much hope coffee1.gif

Most Thais I know, which includes a large number of very well educated University professors, don't use metaphors as we in the West are prone to. In fact, most Asians I know don't. The well educated ones know exactly what metaphors, similes and figures of speech are. But, I rarely if ever hear them use such.

Whether Yingluck actually said these words or not, the reporting is a thinly veiled exercised in portraying her been forced from office under threat of force. When in fact she wasn't.

Unfortunately the news media in many countries now indulge in these blatant propaganda stories aimed at "painting a picture" they want the reader to believe, real or not. Like you refer to " supposedly educated General who appointed himself PM" or my referring to Yingluck as the previous PM appointed by her criminal fugitive brother and self appointed DM and rice policy committee chair.

Thais will and do react differently to criticism - look at the over reaction to cartoons or remarks made about Yingluck and the resultant threats issued by Tarit etc.

Are you saying that Yingluck had a choice in the matter? I seem to remember that she was forcibly restrained in custody on the army base, meaning did not have the choice to leave, while the NCPO took control of the country.

• Like 1

good and while he's at is please take all her assets and give to poor issn people and farmers whose lives she and her clone have ruined or made worse

Darling off Issan my arse a thieving rotten front for the whole vile gang MAkes me puke

Just a reminder that posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be removed. If you don’t want your post to be removed, spell people’s names correctly.

Other off topic deflection posts and replies have been removed.

It's his father that is the 600 million baht man. He is the one that sold the land.

Prayuth is ONLY the 180 million baht man. That's all he had before he got his share of his father's land sale.

Well said. 'Visceral hatred" is the unifier for those who oppose Prime Minister Yingluck -- a position she still holds legitimately. It can't be fun going through Life with that much hatred within one.

Wow, what a load of rubbish.

I very much doubt if any of the posters on here hate Yingluck, quite a lot pity her for what her brother has put her through and most realize she had very little input in anything during her time in office.

There would be many who hate what her brother has done to this country, but Yingluck, no, she has just been used by him and she may deserve some sympathy for that but not to the stage where it absolves her of responsibility.

That she has recently met with him on both her overseas trips would indicate she is still very much under his influence and orders.

While saying that it is also true that she was put in (accepted) a position of responsibility which she or her supporters cant really deny (although they try) and now she must answer to the country and the people as the one responsible for any wrongdoing by her Govt.

Considering that hate was one of the main things that got Yingluck elected into the position of PM in the first place, hate generated by the lies about Abhisit and the Dems, which is still being spewed out by posters on this forum, then to accuse others of hate would be just a bit hypocritical.

Incidentally the only position Yingluck currently holds is of an ordinary Thai housewife, she said so herself.

I agree with you that very few reasonable people hate Yingluck whatever their political views.Neverthless it was striking that the social media indicated widespread hatred during her time as PM.My impression this almost psychotic hatred was most widely spread in the Sino Thai urban middle class, which lambasted her for her poor English, alleged low IQ and general ineffectiveness.Oddly enough this hatred was not reflected in the aristocratic and upper class which had no time for her brother.They wished her out of the way but rather liked her personally, hardly surprising because she is a charming and pleasant person.Overseas her time as PM saw a great improvement in Thailand's image after the ineptitude of foreign relations under Abhisit.As you say she holds no position now other than housewife and I believe has no political ambition.

And yet, and yet ...she remains by some distance the most popular politician in the country and her brother the most popular politician outside it.The only real test of this is through a general election and it is not hard to understand why this is being pushed out to the far distance.That is why you can sure she will be banned.The wishes of the Thai people can only be accomodated up to a point.

• Like 2

Original news article:

"In July the junta allowed Yingluck to travel to Europe and the United States and last month she visited Japan and China, meeting her older brother and fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra during both trips."

Clip of Yingluk, Thaksin and Nong Pipe's visit last month to Chengdu zoo in China, posted on Yingluk's Facebook page :

Hard times are coming said one poster. Your right, it's not going to be easy, but where theres a will theres a way. But the recent news I heard of a new amnesty for political prisoners convicted or indicted is step backward not forward. The people should decide if they want this or not. Yingluck will be let off from the rice scheme.

Original news article:

"In July the junta allowed Yingluck to travel to Europe and the United States and last month she visited Japan and China, meeting her older brother and fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra during both trips."

Clip of Yingluk, Thaksin and Nong Pipe's visit last month to Chengdu zoo in China, posted on Yingluk's Facebook page :

Anyone who is married to an ex-bar girl would be proud to have Yingluck as their wife.

I'm sure there are a few nearly starving English teachers who would do the same.

In fact, &lt;deleted&gt; it, I would be happy to as well. I'm willing to put her past aside and accept her for who she is and all that she could be in the future. And her family too, no matter what people think about them. If that bully Prayut comes after her, he'll have to go through me.

With all the <deleted> going on with the top Police, the Pm has his hands full. Maybe a little mis-direction is needed.. coffee1.gif

You have wise man photo for avatar.

I lee-member you from bad monk in USA thread couple weeks ago.

Hmmmmm. You are Vellly Velly interesting to me.

What yur name? Where you flom?

biggrin.png