Mayamar day trip

Thai's need a passport to go to any country by air from Thailand. But at road /river border crossings with Myanmar just the ID card is acceptable for day trips (ie pedestians/boat passengers). For longer trips or entering with a vehicle, I think a passport is required.

I'm sure every country has different requirements, but can Thai's use their IDs to make a border crossing into Malaysia or Cambodia as well?

Thai's can not cross into Cambodia with out a passport or Cambodians into Thailand. NO day pass's or id's allowed.

Thanks for the replies but we will have some young Thai children who don't have either ID or passports so my other question is will they allow us to cross the border with just birth certs?

Thai domestic flights use this policy but what about border control with Myanmar?

Does anyone know if birth certs are acceptable for crossing the border on a day trip for young children?

Thanks for the replies but we will have some young Thai children who don't have either ID or passports so my other question is will they allow us to cross the border with just birth certs?

Thai domestic flights use this policy but what about border control with Myanmar?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure every country has different requirements, but can Thai's use their IDs to make a border crossing into Malaysia or Cambodia as well?

Thai's can not cross into Cambodia with out a passport or Cambodians into Thailand. NO day pass's or id's allowed.

Are you sure? As recently as July of this year Cambodians and Thais COULD use an ID card to enter/exit Cambodia/Thailand at least at Koh Kong/Hat Lek, on a day pass to travel no further than either Hat Lek or maybe Khlong Yai (if Cambodian) or Koh Kong for Thais in the reverse direction.

I know this because I accompanied a dual national Thai/Cambodian citizen, who only had 2 ID cards, one Cambodian and one Thai from Phnom Penh to Khlong Yai by car. Inside Cambodia we used her husband's taxi, which I used as a regular taxi service to Koh Kong, and once on the Thai side the lady got in my car (we would have used my car inside Cambodia too but as it was on finance at the time I couldn't take it out of the country) and I dropped her off at Khlong Yai hospital. She showed me her Thai ID card and she didn't have a passport.

For Myanmar, I think the policy on the type of ID Thais require depends on the border crossing and how long they intend to stay/where they want to travel.

Border passes are acceptable at the following 5 checkpoints, but with restrictions as follows:

Mae Sai/Tachilek - border pass is only valid for day trips (no overnight stays allowed) and can't leave Tachilek municipality.

Mae Sot/Myawady - border pass is also only valid for day trips (no overnight stays allowed) and can't leave Myawady municipality. We tested this recently with a Thai national using his border pass and us on day passes too using our passports and in reality you can travel as far as the mountain pass checkpoint without needing to show a passport and valid visa. The checkpoint is located around 20km west of Myawady.

Phu Nam Ron/Htee Khee - border passes only valid for Thai citizens, allowing access to the immediate vicinity of the border only and only for the day.

Three Pagodas Pass/Payathonzu - border is (or was) until recently only open for Thais (although this is set to change) and only on a day pass, with travel permitted only about 12km inside the country to the waterfall, which is presumably before a checkpoint.

Dan Singkorn - border passes valid for travel within the immediate vicinity of the border - will become an international crossing soon, but this hasn't happened yet.

At Ranong/Kawthong, a passport is required for Thais, but that then also allows a stay of 14 days visa free.

Edited by Tomtomtom69