Tourism Authority says 'I Hate Thailand' a big success

webfact

same with the "quality tourist", i ventured out for Sunday lunch, and popped into some of my "old haunts" all the bars without exception was like a morgue, one well known bar not 1 customer, chatting to the girls and all complaining they have never known it so quiet, cant wait for the next load of bull about tourism figures are up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... has been widely reported and embraced as a factual account across the media spectrum ...

Guess for TAT, the end justifies the means.

But people don't like being lied to, and this might backfire.

"But people don't like being lied to..."

Seriously? I thought that was why so many farang males came to Thailand, you handsome, sexy man.

I'm sure most advertising is completely honest and straight forward. Ha ha.

Advertising and politics both depend on lies & obfuscation and a gullible public who are hungry for more of the same.

Most people are lied to one way or another constantly and either remain clueless or prefer the lie even when they know it's deception.

political-lies.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The fictional video denigrates the memory of the 2 murdered vacationers on koh tao and likely is an insult to their families integrity. due to their inability to solve the murder and fix the root cause more bandaids and window dressing is applied.

• Like 1

" But officer, I saw that TAT video where I could stay for two years on an overstay

and teach English. Why are you arresting me ?? "

Well said. Where is the follow up video? You know. The one of me standing in line at the embassy with tons of paperwork including proof of income and retirement, but being denied a retirement extension because I am under 50 regardless of the fact my only intension is to dump cash into the Thai economy.

You can't get any kind of extension at an embassy. They only issue visas. Probably a video wouldn't have helped you understand the correct procedure.

The requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement are clearly stated, so why would you collect documents and stand in line at the wrong place to obtain something for which you're not eligible? Just having money and being unemployed doesn't cut it.

Not everyone on the planet, whatever his "intensions," has some inalienable right to live in Thailand even with his imaginary single handed boost to the Thai economy. Anyway do what the farang in the video does. Shout and throw things. You'll feel better.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well they nailed the first part perfectly. Farang solution to all problems: get angry, shout at people and throw things.

Thai solution to all problems.......answer please ! think before you post.

Answer before I post?

It sounds like you're angry and about to throw something.

Anonymous U-tube account, and bares no indication..........you mdme hold the world outside Thailand for fooles?

A few days after the brilliant release tourists from all over the world took their vacation, cancelled their wintersport and stood in line (with a bag of stones) to book tickets to visit Utopia.

The clip reminds me of the friendly smiles when Thai ladies were standing in line to "borrow" money from me.

RE: Anonymous U-tube account, and bares no indication..........you mdme hold the world outside Thailand for fooles?

This is the basic MO of guerilla marketing, as I stated in my earlier post :)

'GUERILLA MARKETING' - DEFINITION:
A marketing tactic in which a company uses surprise and/or unconventional interactions in order to promote a product or service. Guerrilla marketing is different than traditional marketing in that it often relies on personal interaction and has a smaller budget, and it focuses on smaller groups of promoters that are responsible for getting the word out in a particular location rather than on wide-spread media campaigns.
'GUERILLA MARKETING' - EXPLAINED:
Companies using guerrilla marketing rely on its in-your-face promotions to be spread through viral marketing or word-of-mouth, thus reaching a broader audience for free. The use of this tactic is not designed for all types of goods and services, and it is often used for more "edgy" products and to target younger consumers who are more likely to respond positively.

As someone involved with the tourism industry, I can tell you that tourists are targeted by scammers constantly. They are relentless.

Without a doubt, some of the worst scammers are off duty Tourist Police posing as helpful strangers lurking around tourist sites.

I was hoping the TAT video was a training film for Thais. Teach the local population to be nice and respectful of visitors.

Not scam them all day long.

• Like 2

Incredible, that said the Thais who work with me thought it was real. They didn't ask my opinion about it strangely

How could it possibly have been real? Who was supposed to have been filming the guy when he was arguing with a policeman? (A policeman who was trying to HELP him. Ha!) Or throwing a rock at a pick-up truck? Or meeting the girl on a motorcycle? Or are we supposed to believe that somebody just films everything that everyone does - just in case the TAT might want to make a promotional video out of it? If that's the case, why can't they show us the videos from Koh Tao from a certain night a couple of months ago?

I also liked the implication that only a monkey would steal the guy's bag. Probably a Burmese monkey, because surely a Thai monkey wouldn't do something like that.

• Like 1

Too sweet. The video almost gave me diabetes... LOL

On a serious note, I really can't understand why Thailand doesn't clean up its act and have a sustainable tourism-based revenue stream, instead of coming up with shortsighted and half-arsed ideas all the time. Are these people not capable of anything more serious than plain fluff?

• Like 1

Incredible, that said the Thais who work with me thought it was real. They didn't ask my opinion about it strangely

Really??? Sheesh...

As for asking for your opinion, I guess they didn't because they assumed you'd be smart enough to know it's fake and will say so, which will torpedo their perfect nirvana out of the water.

Edited by outsider

Whilst I enjoyed this video...it was a complete fake.

I have a monkey and I can assure you that if a monkey got hold of that bag, it's contents would be empty it 10 seconds and chewed to bits.

...oh, and screaming at a cop, throwing a rock at a pickup, a Thai girl buying you a drink and the Thais giving back your stuff. Also fake.

The only real bit was that a soap dodger overstayed for 2 years as a teacher and dive boat instructor.

I don't really understand the point of the video, but production was good.

• Like 1

Ever since the Koh Tao murders, the Burmese stitch up, the RTP cover-up, and numerous other clown moves in the investigation, I really can't stand one thing coming out of the TAT. I watch this childish video,and think to myself: who gives a flying eff about some scruffy, white punk loser who can't manage his life overseas, but has to rely on "Thai kindness" for his comeback. I find it insulting for both Thais and foreigners. Oh, and thank you TAT for lowering the bar for qualified teachers here. I'm sure the MOE of Thailand is happy with your message. Personally, I'd never let my kid be taught by a jerk like that, fictional or otherwise.

For every TAT post about how wonderful Thailand is, (and it can be a wonderful place) I am also reminded of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, who were brutally murdered on Koh Tao. I'm reminded and how the lack of a Thai justice system and corruption have let the real killers go free.

So stick that in your TAT pipe and smoke it!

In July my wife and daughter went into a women clothes shop in Samet. The main street towards the gate where you have to pay the National Park Environment fee for the huge dump yard which is Samet nowadays. The sales lady in the clothes shop did not produce 1 smile, they were not allowed to try on a dress to check the size and got remarks that shoes had to be left outside the shop. One gets a better treatment at the Tax Department.

In general the people on Samet are a shadow of what is was let's say 10 years ago. Most resorts only work with Khmer employees as most guys performing (fire)shows on the beach, at least they are friendly. This video is pathetic and TAT should be ashamed of producing such garbage.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thought it was pretty good, apart from the stone-throwing. An angry Thai driver is to be feared.

Especially when they have tinted windows and no one can see them. That's when "Kreng Jai" Is null and void. The slightest spark and all that built up tension explodes.

Thailand... "The Land of the Emotionally Mai Sabai"

Anybody who does not realize that this was not a totally scripted promotional video is the type

of person that will fall for the black money scam. That said the TAT should not be surprised

if there is an increased number of tourists working illegally. I would also not recommend the promotion

of "no money, no problem" with bars, and accommodation. As for the ladies, "no money, no honey"

comes to mind. I rate this TAT promotional video a 3 out of 10 at promoting the attraction of the "quality"

tourists TAT says it wants to attract.

The people infuriated by this video, or rather it's message, don't seem to understand guerilla marketing rolleyes.gif The video in itself is a huge marketing success - over 1,3 million views (hit 1 million in about 2 days) in a really short time. The video was short enough, ending was positive, everyone will feel warm and fuzzy - a definition of a 'feel good'-flick basically. The reaction to the campaign was propably well anticipated (re this whole thread) and thus spiking without TAT logos and official account they made prolly 95% more viewers, than they would've with them, thus the marketing campaign can be deemed success prior to evaluating it's real impact in tourism.

And commenting on the content; yeh - the stone throwing part was so way over the top, that I myself almost turned away from the monitor and started running towards the jungle w00t.gif

How can you call it a marketing success if you dont know the statistics....

such as..

age groups

times

and so on.

Ive met marketing gurus like you many times... always wrong... jumps for joyous glee over a fart.....

• Like 1

The people infuriated by this video, or rather it's message, don't seem to understand guerilla marketing rolleyes.gif The video in itself is a huge marketing success - over 1,3 million views (hit 1 million in about 2 days) in a really short time. The video was short enough, ending was positive, everyone will feel warm and fuzzy - a definition of a 'feel good'-flick basically. The reaction to the campaign was propably well anticipated (re this whole thread) and thus spiking without TAT logos and official account they made prolly 95% more viewers, than they would've with them, thus the marketing campaign can be deemed success prior to evaluating it's real impact in tourism.

And commenting on the content; yeh - the stone throwing part was so way over the top, that I myself almost turned away from the monitor and started running towards the jungle w00t.gif

such as..

age groups

times

and so on.

Ive met marketing gurus like you many times... always wrong... jumps for joyous glee over a fart.....

Call me when you yourself produce any sort of flick that attracts a million views in 2 days time smile.png

And by no means am I a "marketing guru", just tend to understand the principles as I have a higher degree from a marketing institute - totally unrelated to the field of work I'm currently employed in wai.gif

Edit: contrast to last TAT official youtube video - released August 19th - is now bordering 30K views. (Search for Thailand Happiness by Amazing Thailand, and you'll find it whistling.gif )

Edited by jabis

A lot of people have watched this - but it could well have a negative effect if and when people realise they have been duped.....Especially after the fiasco on Koh Tao and coupled with other stories or incompetence, corruption and deceit.

it reflects badly on a country when they seem to think it's OK to "trick" people into visiting with this kind of underhanded approach.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

A lot of people have watched this - but it could well have a negative effect if and when people realise they have been duped.....especially after the fiasco on Koh Tao and coupled with other stories or incompetence, corruption and deceit.

Most tourists taken in by the video will be first time visitors here, will take but a few hours to realise they were duped,

Although i must admit i knew a guy who came here for holidays every year...would not hear a negative word about the thais but infact he was being constantly scammed and did,nt know, then one morning he was in a stinking mood...when asked what happened he told...i got hit with a bill for 22000bht last night in cowboy,

The guy does,nt even drink!

Over the next week or so and a few more expencive scams and a bucket of black cruddy water thrown over him he began to learn by his mistakes.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Ever since the Koh Tao murders, the Burmese stitch up, the RTP cover-up, and numerous other clown moves in the investigation, I really can't stand one thing coming out of the TAT. I watch this childish video,and think to myself: who gives a flying eff about some scruffy, white punk loser who can't manage his life overseas, but has to rely on "Thai kindness" for his comeback. I find it insulting for both Thais and foreigners. Oh, and thank you TAT for lowering the bar for qualified teachers here. I'm sure the MOE of Thailand is happy with your message. Personally, I'd never let my kid be taught by a jerk like that, fictional or otherwise.

For every TAT post about how wonderful Thailand is, (and it can be a wonderful place) I am also reminded of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, who were brutally murdered on Koh Tao. I'm reminded and how the lack of a Thai justice system and corruption have let the real killers go free.

So stick that in your TAT pipe and smoke it!

yes and for every reminder of withredge and miller i am also reminded of the 18 great years i have been here and the countless acts of random kindness i have encountered. a coin has 2 sides.

i personally cant bother to be offended by what is essentially fluff and actually a successfull attempt at viral marketing. the internet blurs the line between fact and fiction, get used to it.

such as..

age groups

times

and so on.

On principle i refuse to watch propaganda -

But at a guess , its easy to safely say many so called "'hits"" were people in Thailand .

And as to what nationality , perhaps even Thais , were lured into hitting the view button.

Who knows even instructed to over and over - just to give the appearance of success?

Certainly , it isn't considered viral .

Infact , a million hits for a campaign is not consider "'that successful"' were it even established as creditable "'without market manipulation " and internal factors like social media where 2out of 3 viewers are not even in their target audience.

as a previous poster said, i have a few thai friends and they thought it was a brilliant vid, until i pointed a few things out to them, it reminds me of the old East Berlin, when they were told the wall was built to keep out rapist and muderers, i just think anything this lot (and the previous lot) says, many just believe it and dont question it.