Degrees accepted by Khrusapha

Browncow3

Hi there,

I do not yet have a degree and wish to do one via distance learning. I'd like to do a general degree and a teachers qualification afterwards, as doing a degree in education requires practical time in the country where the university is based.

I don't want to do a degree through my home country (South Africa) which I know is preferred, because SA has a terribly bad administration standard. Many problems doing a degree online...

I'm looking at a degree in TESOL through Thongslook College in Bangkok. The director assures me it is in fact accredited and one can do a Masters in Ed. or teachers qualification afterwards. This will be ideal but I need to be SURE that Khrusapha accepts this degree for a non-b visa.

My other option is a Fillipine university such as UPO which has a very high standard of education.

I'm looking for a list (apparently available on the Khrusapha website but cannot locate it) of ACCEPTED degrees - by Khrusapha.

Anyone have one?

• Like 1

There are 2 institutions on the list of acceptable universities by Krusapa that are degree mills. There are top tier universities that Krusapa doesn't accept, so its a kind of monkey shoot. I would suggest you think about teaching in a different country as they have made it impossible to jump through their hoops. Most recently the letter that has to be sent to them from your home country. Can't be done but hey, when has that stopped them before.

Thongsook is accredited by the Thai Ministry of Education. But that will get you a degree BUT it won't get you a teaching degree. You would then have to do a Diploma in Teaching or an MA education

Also it is my understanding that doing Thongsook alone will not be eligible for further 2 year waivers, that's what my school has been told. But I haven't gone to TCT in person to check.

Edited by casualbiker

Where is this list?

Is Assumption international program M. Ed. Curriculum and Instruction on their list?

I asked at the admission desk and I was told that I can get a degree from them but they didn't know if it was accepted by TCT for a teaching license.

Just do an English degree in Ramkhamhaeng's international program. (IIS-RU)

Let (deleted) jump around with their thumbs up their jacksie's blabbering about fully qualified teachers in the west coming here for 30k a month and all the other BS beaurocracy that goes with it (better not hold their breath).

Enjoy your waivers until they find their senses.

Edited by ChrisB87
  • Like 1

If I was staying in Thailand to study (and money was a bit tight), I would do the Thongsook degree. That takes three years, but people are correct in that you'll need a post grad in education of some sort after that. If you could afford it, you could also do a PGCEi from Nottingham while on the Thongsook course. you would then qualify for licence after 3 years if you can finish the PGCEi while on the degree. THe degree at Thongsook is only 120 credits (compared to 360 in the UK), so I would think the workload would be light enough to do both. PGCEi is a Post Grad Cert in Education (International) from England. It is not QTS (qualified teacher status), but if you have a degree from Thongsook plus that, you will get a licence for Thailand. As things stand anyway. I know of people that have started the PGCEi (distance learning) without a degree but have experience of teaching English abroad. They seem to accept experience in lieu of a degree.

• Like 2

If I was staying in Thailand to study (and money was a bit tight), I would do the Thongsook degree. That takes three years, but people are correct in that you'll need a post grad in education of some sort after that. If you could afford it, you could also do a PGCEi from Nottingham while on the Thongsook course. you would then qualify for licence after 3 years if you can finish the PGCEi while on the degree. THe degree at Thongsook is only 120 credits (compared to 360 in the UK), so I would think the workload would be light enough to do both. PGCEi is a Post Grad Cert in Education (International) from England. It is not QTS (qualified teacher status), but if you have a degree from Thongsook plus that, you will get a licence for Thailand. As things stand anyway. I know of people that have started the PGCEi (distance learning) without a degree but have experience of teaching English abroad. They seem to accept experience in lieu of a degree

3,170 uk pounds (163,000baht) for PGCEi

wow.......plus the 130,000b for Thongsook.

and all this with salary's static or actually going down ( More hours, less money)

but it is was it is, i suppose.

Thongsook should be accepted by Krusapa for waivers, although I doubt ppl can confirm 100% as although it's accredited no one has first hand experience yet, since the first graduates won't graduate til next year.

After you get your degree, you should be able to get your full license via the Krusapa seminars. To the best of my knowledge they aren't available in English yet, only Thai, and I imagine places will be limited once they do come out in English. However assuming the requirements don't change, you'll have 3 years of study followed by 4+ years of waivers, so will have plenty of time to do the seminars.

Thongsook should be accepted by Krusapa for waivers, although I doubt ppl can confirm 100% as although it's accredited no one has first hand experience yet, since the first graduates won't graduate til next year.

After you get your degree, you should be able to get your full license via the Krusapa seminars. To the best of my knowledge they aren't available in English yet, only Thai, and I imagine places will be limited once they do come out in English. However assuming the requirements don't change, you'll have 3 years of study followed by 4+ years of waivers, so will have plenty of time to do the seminars.

Sly. Admin at my school asked at khurusapha and seemingly got told as it's not an education degree, no extra waivers based on attendance.

Which kinda buggers the whole idea of them wanting us to get degrees!

Sly. Admin at my school asked at khurusapha and seemingly got told as it's not an education degree, no extra waivers based on attendance.

Which kinda buggers the whole idea of them wanting us to get degrees!

Yeah no waivers based on attendance, but once she gets the degree she can start her 1st waiver.

As she doesn't have a degree, yet sounds like she's been here for a while, she likely has another method of securing visas/WPs (Possibly via her spouse), so would probably just continue doing her visas in the same way she has previously.

However I believe the Thongsook degree also qualifies for an extension based on Education, so visa wise I'm sure she'd be fine (And as part of the course requires students to teach, I assume that the internship is incorporated into the visa).

If she's been living and working in Thailand for a few years already, with no degree, then she's likely either able to get a WP (Some DoL offices are more relaxed than others), or she's been working without one.

Also as I mentioned, I believe Thongsook requires students to teach, in a sorta internship or assistant teacher type role as a part of their course. Thus the "Teacher's Assistant" job description would actually be legit when applying at the DoL (And thus not require a teacher's license).

Each province is a little different of course, but I think she'd need to be in a very strict province or working for a very unconnected school in order to be denied a WP (Assuming she has a valid visa/extension to put it on).

An intern is a student and would/could be on an ED-visa, with the teaching as part of the training. For that no work permit would be required, nor teaching license or waiver. (The internship must be reported to ????)

It can be a way to bypass the WP and teacher license requirement, but not sure what the rules are for a paid internship and if Thongsook qualifies for an ED-visa though.

If I was staying in Thailand to study (and money was a bit tight), I would do the Thongsook degree. That takes three years, but people are correct in that you'll need a post grad in education of some sort after that. If you could afford it, you could also do a PGCEi from Nottingham while on the Thongsook course. you would then qualify for licence after 3 years if you can finish the PGCEi while on the degree. THe degree at Thongsook is only 120 credits (compared to 360 in the UK), so I would think the workload would be light enough to do both. PGCEi is a Post Grad Cert in Education (International) from England. It is not QTS (qualified teacher status), but if you have a degree from Thongsook plus that, you will get a licence for Thailand. As things stand anyway. I know of people that have started the PGCEi (distance learning) without a degree but have experience of teaching English abroad. They seem to accept experience in lieu of a degree.

I'm not sure Nottingham will accept you on the PGCEi without a degree or some substantial reason, like lots of teaching experience. So I don't think your suggestion of doing two degrees at the same time would be possible in this scenario.

Mattyboy. Currently you can get ANY bachelors degree in any subject. BUT that will only give you 2 x 2 year waivers in which time you would need a teaching diploma or MA ed. But things could change, they could get better. Although to be fair it's only got worse so far!!!

If someone's goal, without an education, was to be a long time teacher in Thailand then I would recommend getting an education degree.

If your plans are for only a few years in Thailand then any degree is good.

" If someone's goal, without an education,"

Don't you mean without a bachelors degree, most people from Europe and North America would have a decent general education from school!

If someone's goal, without an education, was to be a long time teacher in Thailand then I would recommend getting an education degree.

If your plans are for only a few years in Thailand then any degree is good.

" If someone's goal, without an education,"

Don't you mean without a bachelors degree, most people from Europe and North America would have a decent general education from school!

Yes.

Without a univerdity degree.

Since the teachers council is requiring Ed degrees for teachers staying longer than 4 years, they might be stricter on basic university degree for any waiver at regular schools.

I'm not sure Nottingham will accept you on the PGCEi without a degree or some substantial reason, like lots of teaching experience. So I don't think your suggestion of doing two degrees at the same time would be possible in this scenario.

I know of four people that have done the PGCEi with Nottingham. Only two had degrees. The other two? One had about four years experiernce and the other about two years experience. Just saying what I know to be fact on this issue. Take it as you wish.

Here is the list of universities accredited by the TCT. Note that US universities aren't on the list, due to the large number of degree mills, so accreditation is carried out on a case by case basis.

http://203.21.42.34/acc/search/internew/maininter.html

Actually, the reason that US universities are not listed is that the US does not have a single nationwide accreditation organization. Instead there are several regional accrediting organizations, such as WASC. There are also accrediting organizations for specialized subjects.

Generally speaking, US schools that are accredited by one of these organizations are a safe bet:

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg6.html

I know of four people that have done the PGCEi with Nottingham. Only two had degrees. The other two? One had about four years experiernce and the other about two years experience. Just saying what I know to be fact on this issue. Take it as you wish.

Hah, so much for the "P" and "G" in the acronym then, eh? ;p

• Like 2