Seeking advice for small business start-up in Pattaya

Zero percent on jet skis your having a laugh !smile.png

This year I brought into thailand a small inflatable quicksilver , and a 5 hp mercury outboard cost me on uk ebay

about 20.000 baht and customs wanted 22,000 after a few phone calls got it down to 15.000 sti crazy price for5 year old boat and 15 year old engine but I was kinda expecting that

how the so called customs can drop the import duty price in a phone call !!!!!

You have to remember your not in the us or uk dealing with normal customs

Here they do what they want I suspect my boat never had any customs paper work

corruption

my advise dont import anything !!!!!

You should try changing Customs brokers if that's the case. My broker imports 12 boats a month for his personal business and pays 7% VAT and that's it. My last import was an aircraft which he negotiated the VAT down to 4%, rather than the usual 7%. I have 2 used jet skis arriving next month....he figured 7% on a declared value of 50% of actual cost.

I was looking for actual, real life feedback from business owners. I'm not sure the background of you guys but you don't come across as particularly successful. Let me guess....old, fat, bald, met your wife on a barfine, living here on a pension?

There are 2 key words in your response that you may have overlooked and may wish to consider. Old and living. if you think being over 50 , never having to work again and screwing a 30 year old is not sucessfull go and ask some poor slob back in falangland where he would rather be. And strangely most of the fat falang I see are tourists.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few things..

You may want to check the import duty tarriffs for Jet Ski's..

Also the Jet Ski business is allegedly mafia controlled with co-operation of the police.

Will you get a permit to operate the business?

It is an industry that has such a bad reputation that on many beaches it is banned, Pattaya could follow suit.

I think the O/P needs to explore the established businesses in this "sector" ... assuming he is serious. If he doesn't run into some legal roadblocks from the authorities, he will certainly attract the "interest" of some others with vested involvement here in Pattaya who may express a lack of enthusiasm for his proposal.

If he does decide to go forward with the "plan," I hope he keeps us posted on his progress, It should make for fascinating reading.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You guys are a wealth of experience and thanks for sharing.

Import duties on jetskis: 0%

VAT: 7% but can be reclaimed from input tax credits.

So the mafia controls the Seadoo & Yamaha dealerships? I think you misunderstand my intentions. I'm not going into the hourly rental side with worn out Waverunners. I'm offering higher priced, performance models that are rented by the day, or longer term.

I am not competing against the Beach Road garbage in terms of quality, service, or value. Its like comparing a short time hotel to the Hilton. Different client base, different expectations.

Would be to sure about the tax, and there is more than just import tax, excise tax, interior tax, certain taxes on luxury items, etc. You should check with a customs expert, it may even be under yacht category or else requiring other things. Just be sure that they will not make it easy fro you doing any business whatsoever here!

Few things..

Also the Jet Ski business is allegedly mafia controlled with co-operation of the police.

It is an industry that has such a bad reputation that on many beaches it is banned, Pattaya could follow suit.

I think the O/P needs to explore the established businesses in this "sector" ... assuming he is serious. If he doesn't run into some legal roadblocks from the authorities, he will certainly attract the "interest" of some others with vested involvement here in Pattaya who may express a lack of enthusiasm for his proposal.

If he does decide to go forward with the "plan," I hope he keeps us posted on his progress, It should make for fascinating reading.

And exactly how would this be different than any other business that might attract the "interest" of Thais? What is so damn special and unique about jet skis? Why not rental scooters, rental cars, rental forklifts or rental scaffolding? Maybe I'm just stupid but what makes jet skis so unique that someone with vested interests would take such an interest in my start-up and ot any other type of business that would directly compete? So if I wanted to go into wedding planning tomorrow and some high end policeman's wife ran a competing studio, should I expect a beat down?

Are all these statements about my demise based on any real life facts or just what you've supposedly heard? It seems from reading Thai news that you are far more likely to reach your death from going into business with another foreigner, especially in property development and boiler rooms.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You guys are a wealth of experience and thanks for sharing.

So the mafia controls the Seadoo & Yamaha dealerships? I think you misunderstand my intentions. I'm not going into the hourly rental side with worn out Waverunners. I'm offering higher priced, performance models that are rented by the day, or longer term.

I am not competing against the Beach Road garbage in terms of quality, service, or value. Its like comparing a short time hotel to the Hilton. Different client base, different expectations.

Would be to sure about the tax, and there is more than just import tax, excise tax, interior tax, certain taxes on luxury items, etc. You should check with a customs expert, it may even be under yacht category or else requiring other things. Just be sure that they will not make it easy fro you doing any business whatsoever here!

Yacht category is 0% tax. Vat of 7% on the "declared" value. This is all public information. You think starting any business is easy? I used to work 14 hours a day, 7 days a week running my last business. I don't know anyone that would say they had it easy, in any country.

The advantage in starting a business in Pattaya is that a certain class of expat and tourist expects more in terms of service, value and selection than what is currently on offer on just about everything: groceries, furniture, housing, vehicles and so on. They don't want to be served by an idiot Thai with no English, they expect after sales and follow up service and expect guarantees to be honoured with no arguments. Thai businesses don't have to offer that in Pattaya currently as there are no other choices.

dont waste your time or money as they will be banned next year

• Like 1

As the OP has completley disregarded the replies that have all advised the same thing , don't do it , I would suggest all replies from now inform him to go ahead and do it as that what it seems he wants to hear.

Regards to the OP may he RIP.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As the OP has completley disregarded the replies that have all advised the same thing , don't do it , I would suggest all replies from now inform him to go ahead and do it as that what it seems he wants to hear.

Regards to the OP may he RIP.

I have completely disregarded the replies from those who have never operated a business in Pattaya and have nothing than rumours to criticize my plans. I was looking for feedback from actual business owners and not opinions. Unfortunately, I would think that those that are successful in business here may not have the time to read these posts and take time to answer me.

Few things..

AND The rules are, you have to have Thai partners or Directors, they own 51%

AND The Thai people have to be given access to the bank account.

AND you would be mad to go into THAT business in Thailand

Few things..

Thanks, appreciate the insight. And what business venture have you been successful at in Pattaya? Yeah, I thought so..... I asked for advice from successful business operators, not retirees....sorry....:(

This year I brought into thailand a small inflatable quicksilver , and a 5 hp mercury outboard cost me on uk ebay

about 20.000 baht and customs wanted 22,000 after a few phone calls got it down to 15.000 sti crazy price for5 year old boat and 15 year old engine but I was kinda expecting that

corruption

You should try changing Customs brokers if that's the case. My broker imports 12 boats a month for his personal business and pays 7% VAT and that's it. My last import was an aircraft which he negotiated the VAT down to 4%, rather than the usual 7%. I have 2 used jet skis arriving next month....he figured 7% on a declared value of 50% of actual cost.

I was looking for actual, real life feedback from business owners. I'm not sure the background of you guys but you don't come across as particularly successful. Let me guess....old, fat, bald, met your wife on a barfine, living here on a pension?

I don't understand why you have to be a rude ignorant git !!!!!!

As for your business acumen. VAT is a NON NEGOTIABLE TAX. so if your broker is only being charged 4% vat then the customs officer is on tea money.

It still remains a fact that opening a small business in Thailand leaves the Farang as the poor partner, even if he is supplying 100% of the money.

Now your going to tell me that you just ignore the rules and do not have Thai's involved. Good luck with that

Advice given to me by a friend of mine was do not do it , do not open business.

His main reasoning was never ending problems with staff.

Naturally I did not listen.

My advice is do not do it , unless you prepared to have never ending headaches with staff.

It is never ending, it is costly and it is beyond your control.

Basically , be prepared to work silly hours and do not only your job but also theirs

Post Removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Few things..

Thanks, appreciate the insight. And what business venture have you been successful at in Pattaya? Yeah, I thought so..... I asked for advice from successful business operators, not retirees....sorry....:(

For what its worth since 2004 I have owned (as far as Thai Law allows) and run a successfull buisiness covering all of Thailand. I suggest you start taking in the fact that your idea is at best naive .

You need to start listening to the advice you asked for or stop asking for advice if you dont want to listen to opinions that go against you.

People would not be repeating the same thing over and over again if it had no value.

• Like 2

Few things..

Thanks, appreciate the insight. And what business venture have you been successful at in Pattaya? Yeah, I thought so..... I asked for advice from successful business operators, not retirees....sorry....sad.png

For what its worth since 2004 I have owned (as far as Thai Law allows) and run a successfull buisiness covering all of Thailand. I suggest you start taking in the fact that your idea is at best naive .

You need to start listening to the advice you asked for or stop asking for advice if you dont want to listen to opinions that go against you.

People would not be repeating the same thing over and over again if it had no value.

The only advice I received was don't do it. Was that the same advice you were given? If so, why did you continue on? If jet skis are such a bad idea, what business idea would you feel has a good opportunity for Pattaya?

Few things..

Thanks, appreciate the insight. And what business venture have you been successful at in Pattaya? Yeah, I thought so..... I asked for advice from successful business operators, not retirees....sorry....sad.png

The only advice I received was don't do it. Was that the same advice you were given? If so, why did you continue on? If jet skis are such a bad idea, what business idea would you feel has a good opportunity for Pattaya?

If he had a good business idea, he wouldn't be telling you would he ? He would be off doing it :rolleyes:

I,m interested in joining your venture as a "silent" partner with much capital to invest.............I think-and hope-we could make a fortune,great idea thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Are you a funny guy? Do bar girls laugh at your jokes as well? Next time, try making jokes without buying them a drink. See if they are still laughing.

Will you be laughing when your daughter gives you the "news"? I know I'll be laughing:)smile.png:)...not laughing now, are you?

You're a troll, nothing more. If you were really the kind of businessman you made yourself out to be then you'd be smart enough to do some proper research instead of asking stupid questions in a topic like this; you'd also have a bit more wherewithal about you not to make silly posts insulting forum members with dull-witted cliches and nasty references to someone's daughter; and you'd at least have somewhat more insight into business (mal)practices common around places like Pattaya; and finally you would not discount the experience of long term expats who clearly know the place infinitely better than you do, irrespective of whether they had a business in Pattaya.

In fact, it's not so much your lack of respect for other people or inability to see the wood for the trees when NOBODY has backed you up in your silly ideas or obnoxious postings, it's actually the perfectly mundane fact you are asking for input ONLY from people who have done business in Pattaya, and you've been most forthright about this where anyone who had a grain of business insight would even welcome input about business generally in Thailand as well as specifically in Pattaya.

So yeah, even if you're legit you're still a troll, despite yourself.

• Like 1

I,m interested in joining your venture as a "silent" partner with much capital to invest.............I think-and hope-we could make a fortune,great idea thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Are you a funny guy? Do bar girls laugh at your jokes as well? Next time, try making jokes without buying them a drink. See if they are still laughing.

Will you be laughing when your daughter gives you the "news"? I know I'll be laughing:)smile.png:)...not laughing now, are you?

You're a troll, nothing more. If you were really the kind of businessman you made yourself out to be then you'd be smart enough to do some proper research instead of asking stupid questions in a topic like this; you'd also have a bit more wherewithal about you not to make silly posts insulting forum members with dull-witted cliches and nasty references to someone's daughter; and you'd at least have somewhat more insight into business (mal)practices common around places like Pattaya; and finally you would not discount the experience of long term expats who clearly know the place infinitely better than you do, irrespective of whether they had a business in Pattaya.

In fact, it's not so much your lack of respect for other people or inability to see the wood for the trees when NOBODY has backed you up in your silly ideas or obnoxious postings, it's actually the perfectly mundane fact you are asking for input ONLY from people who have done business in Pattaya, and you've been most forthright about this where anyone who had a grain of business insight would even welcome input about business generally in Thailand as well as specifically in Pattaya.

I don't think the OP is a troll, I think he has landed in Pattaya been given the goo goo eyes by a local lady, now he is desperately trying to find a way of making a living in Thailand

Will you be laughing when your daughter gives you the "news"? I know I'll be laughing:)smile.pngsmile.png...not laughing now, are you?

Again, nothing worthwhile to add yet you decide to post? Why? I asked for advice yet you want to accuse me of being a troll?

I take it you weren't particularly successful in the past? I only think that as it seems you are somewhat angered by me...no idea why. Not insulting family members...he attempted some rather stupid humor...so did I. If I wanted a comedian, I wouldn't come here.

corruption

So your customs broker who you admit pays the fixed VAT of 7% himself on imports managed to negotiate that same fixed 7% VAT due on your aircraft down to 4%.

You are talking complete bullshite.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

Will you be laughing when your daughter gives you the "news"? I know I'll be laughing:)smile.pngsmile.png...not laughing now, are you?

Again, nothing worthwhile to add yet you decide to post? Why? I asked for advice yet you want to accuse me of being a troll?

I take it you weren't particularly successful in the past? I only think that as it seems you are somewhat angered by me...no idea why. Not insulting family members...he attempted some rather stupid humor...so did I. If I wanted a comedian, I wouldn't come here.

He is my advice then go and start up a THB 2.0 million Ltd company, get your WP import your jet ski's and start your business get all the required permits and come back on here in 12 months and tell everyone how wrong they were

• Like 1

corruption

So your customs broker who you admit pays the fixed VAT of 7% himself on imports managed to negotiate that same fixed 7% VAT due on your aircraft down to 4%.

You are talking complete bullshite.

this poster should be able to outline the actual procedure on importing an aircraft into Thailand and how long it took and which government departments are involved as one can't just import and aircraft into Thailand and "pay the vat"