Really Confused About The New Airport And Domestic Cont. Travel

Sophie

Well, trying to put togheter an itinerary for 10 people incl. myself and can´t find information about what airlines will fly domestic routes from what airport in Bangkok. My guess is that Thai will fly their domestic flights from the new airport and some of the low-cost carriers eg. AirAsia and Nok from Don Muang, but how can I find out for sure?

And does anyone what kind of transports that will be available between the two airports, but I read in a previous thread about an expressbus, any idea of what sort of time between connections that will be necessary if transfering airport?

Any input will be of great help!

Regards

brit's right. I have friends who work at the new airport as part of the construction. Nobody knows, nobody will know and I think nobody wants to know. It's not ready for flights. My mother has just booked her flight to Bangkok and it's into Don Muang. One way you can tell is by the airport code. BKK is Don Muang (old), and there's a new code for Suvarnabumi, which I can't remember. So, just do as you did before and book'em. :o

PM seeks early airport opening

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra suggested yesterday that domestic flights should be relocated to the new Suvarnabhumi Airport about two weeks ahead of the September 28 opening schedule.

He said airport officials would discuss with the six airlines that currently provide domestic services whether it was feasible to implement such an early relocation.

If the domestic flights were moved first, it should be easier to ensure that the relocation of all international flights on September 28 would be smooth, he said.

"I've told the airport's board chairman that the domestic flights should be moved from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi on September 15, 16 or 17 so there are fewer problems when we move all flights to Suvarnabhumi on September 28.

"The changeover is a gigantic task, since millions of pieces of equipment have to be hauled overnight to ensure a smooth continuation of flights," he said.

The Nation

Cross your fingers and hope.

I am a flight attendant based out of BKK. When the new airport opens up (28 Sept) which is what we have been told now to prepare for, all flights domestic and international will be flying out the new airport. Using the old airport for domestic flights was talked about but the idea was nixed. The old airport will be using as a private airport for VIP's and such and reverts back to the military.

All transport that headed to old airport will revert to new airport including the A1-A4 buses. Again we have been told to be ready for 28 September but we have been also told it may not happen till the new year. Crew lounges for checkin - which includes computer systems are not even up with office space just given recently after being changed many times.

When I know more I will post. Hope this helps.

brit's right. I have friends who work at the new airport as part of the construction. Nobody knows, nobody will know and I think nobody wants to know. It's not ready for flights. My mother has just booked her flight to Bangkok and it's into Don Muang. One way you can tell is by the airport code. BKK is Don Muang (old), and there's a new code for Suvarnabumi, which I can't remember. So, just do as you did before and book'em. :o

At the moment Suvarnabhumi has a temporary (interim) IATA code, which is NBK. The day that the new airport is opened the BKK code will be tranfered to Suvernabhumi. Don Muang will get another IATA code.

Well, if you can believe any such thing from our beloved PM's mouth, then all flights, domestic or international, low-cost or not, would be moved to Suvarnabhumi by the end of Sep, notwithstanding all other rumours. Perhaps, it is not logistically wise to have two airports? Or maybe, it is because it would make it easier for AOT, or whatever agency, to collect more revenues from higher landing fees, etc.? Who knows! I can't help but wonder: can't we Thais ever plan and expect anything ahead realistically? Why is it always about "face" or pride or honour? Why not more of something concrete, like safety, security, and services?

Anyway, as of now, it sounds like there will only be one commercial airport for Bangkok, according to YOU-KNOW-WHO. Sorry, I don't have any more new answers than the ones you heard before. :o

VBT = IATA code (Bentonville Municipal Airport ) Are you sure ?

NBK = IATA (interim) code Suvarnabhumi

Source: http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/19

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airpo...by_IATA_code:_N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airpo...by_IATA_code:_V

Woops I rearranged the code letters.. :o

"Suvarnabhumi Airport (IATA: NBK, ICAO: VTBS) (Thai: ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ), also New Bangkok International Airport (NBIA) or Second Bangkok International Airport (SBIA) is the long-delayed new international airport of Bangkok, Thailand. The airport is presently using interim IATA airport code NBK, but it will inherit the code BKK from Bangkok International Airport after it is decommissioned. [1] The ICAO code for the airport will be VTBS."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

Edited by britmaveric

Well, trying to put togheter an itinerary for 10 people incl. myself Any input will be of great help!

Regards

What are your planned travel dates? Itinerary? Carriers?

Generally speaking it would be best to stick with an all TG itinerary, if possible, for maximum protection (missed flights), and ease of travel (i.e. being able to check bags through to your final destination). Another recommendation might be to schedule an extra day between int'l and dom. connections, in-bound and out-bound.

Thank´s so much for Your advise!

Seems that nobody really can tell just yet!

We are flying in to Bangkok on feb. 9th at 3 pm and are hoping to make the Air Asia flight to Krabi at 5.05 pm. If all the airlines will use the new airport we wont have a problem but a transfer to Don Muang would be impossible.

I`m afraid TG is out of our budget but realize it´s a very good idea :-)!

Thank´s again, we´ll keep looking for other Krabi afternoon/evening flights to have some options.

If any news on the subject, pls post again. I´m sure that we are just one of thousands trying to find this information :-))))!

We are flying in to Bangkok on feb. 9th at 3 pm and are hoping to make the Air Asia flight to Krabi at 5.05 pm. If all the airlines will use the new airport we wont have a problem

2:05 is a tight-ish connection, probably at or near the MCT (Minimum Connection Time). At either the old or new airports, you'll have to clear Immigration, wait for your bags, clear Customs, go the domestic check-in area, check-in with Air Asia. You might give yourself a bit more of a cushion. What is your carrier into BKK?

At the current airport, at Don Muang, you'd have to walk (or take a courtesy bus) from the International Terminal(s) to the Domestic Terminal. Siince no one has done this at Suvarnabhumi yet it is difficult to say if the process will require less time. In theory it should be easier at the new airport, at least until the new low-cost terminal is constructed.

We´re flying LX (Swiss) into Bangkok and when travelling with children as we are ,we have never had to wait in the long lane at Immigrations :-)))! We´ve been swept right thru!

Usually 2 hours is the minimun req. connection-time I think, unless on TG conn. flights, if I remember right they only req. 1 hour.

I´m leaning towards making a day´s stop in Bangkok just to be safe!

Doesn't anybody read the other's replies? When the new airport opens both domestic and international airlines will fly from this airport. The old airport will cease to exist as an airport for scheduled carriers when this happens.

There is talk about building a low cost terminal next to the new airport for budget carriers (like Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) but this being Thailand don't expect to see it soon.

We´re flying LX (Swiss) into Bangkok and when travelling with children as we are ,we have never had to wait in the long lane at Immigrations :-)))! We´ve been swept right thru!

Usually 2 hours is the minimun req. connection-time I think, unless on TG conn. flights, if I remember right they only req. 1 hour.

I´m leaning towards making a day´s stop in Bangkok just to be safe!

You really are cutting it very fine. At the moment it's impossible to say what the immigration queues will be like at the new airport.

I usually bank on about 45 minutes from the time of actual landing until getting through customs. With the photographs at immigration it can be longer. I hope the new airport has a fairer queuing system with just the one queue for all foreign passport holders rather than choosing a queue and hoping it's quicker than the one next to you (why do I always choose the slowest one?).

Air Asia will probably be delayed but you can't build that into the equation. They are VERY strict with their 45 minute closure prior to flight departure. If you are late, you won't get on the flight, kids and excuses won't help you.

Air Asia will probably be delayed but you can't build that into the equation. They are VERY strict with their 45 minute closure prior to flight departure. If you are late, you won't get on the flight, kids and excuses won't help you.

Probably delayed?...ha ha...you can count on it! But your right you can't build that into the equation. Even if they late you still must check in on time.

Doesn't anybody read the other's replies? When the new airport opens both domestic and international airlines will fly from this airport. The old airport will cease to exist as an airport for scheduled carriers when this happens.

There is talk about building a low cost terminal next to the new airport for budget carriers (like Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) but this being Thailand don't expect to see it soon.

I think most of the people responding to, and contributing to, this thread understand that the OP will be making their in-bound international to domestic connection at a single airport. Until the OP mentioned their travel date it was unclear if that might happen at the old airport, or at the new airport. Now that we know it is 9 Feb it seems likely that this connection will occur wholly at the new airport. Having said that, they will still have to clear Immigration (wait), pick-up luggage (wait), clear Customs (possibly get an inspection, wait), find the AirAsia check-in counters, check-in (wait), clear domestic security (wait). My guess is that AirAsia will be using bus gates at the new airport, so they may even have to increase their minimum check-in time?

Some of us were merely highlighting that the connection may be challenging. I think the LX flight(s) land in the afternoon so maybe bulld in a 3 hour connection, or stay over and take an early flight the next morning.

...the OP will be making their in-bound international to domestic connection at a single airport...Now that we know it is 9 Feb it seems likely that this connection will occur wholly at the new airport.
It looks the same to me: arrival from Europe and departure for Krabi at the same airport, either Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi.

Sophie, if you have to book your hotel already now, do so on the basis of it being uncertain at this time whether you will pass through Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi.

One new development is disturbing, though. The official date for the start of international flights to Suvarnabhumi remains 28 September 2006 but insiders say that this will be delayed. Didn’t I read somewhere on ThaiVisa that the international pilots association does not expect it to happen until late 2007? (The search function is too atrocious to find that thread) On the other hand, the Prime Minister and the airport authority seem to have agreed to start operating all domestic flights from Suvarnabhumi on 15 September 2007.

This brings us back to square one on Sophie’s dilemma, but I understand she has in the meantime already decided to stay one night in Bangkok between arrival from Europe and departure for Krabi.

---------------

Maestro

Just heard from my parents who arrive here from the UK at 15.05 on the 28th September, they have been told they are flying into old Don Muang

Hi guys,

I'm getting a bit worried by the dates mentioned

I will be flying in on TG international flight on 20 Sept

I presume to Don Muang

My onward flight is to Chiang Rai with TG :D

If domestic flights have moved to the new airport by 18 Sept

does anyone know what transfer facilities may be available

or will TG be responsible for the transfer ? :D

:o Confused

tung tsz

We are flying in to Bangkok on feb. 9th

By that time, February, all carriers will be flying out of Suwarnabhumi.

Unlikely!!!! :o

britmaveric:

This is the answer I get from most travelagents, airlines and "insiders" I have contacted...

It´s crazy that the single largest connection-point in Asia have´nt worked all this out by now...

If I was travelling by my self I would´nt care much, just take it as it comes, but with all our small children tired after a long flight we need to make it as smooth a trip as possible :D !

We`ll just have to wait and see I guess!

I presume to Don Muang

My onward flight is to Chiang Rai with TG

Based on the current situation your Bankok-Chiangrai flight will leave from Don Muang.

THAI have made it clear that as long as their international flights arrive at Don Muang their domestic flights out of Bangkok will leave from Don Muang.

---------------

Maestro

Sophie - Amazing Thailand!!!! :D We've been talking about the new opening for years - date keeps getting moved. Its a running joke to most of us here. I'm sure it will open eventually, but my main concern it doesnt open before its ready out of major safety concerns... cracked runways, leaky airport terminals, relocation of those pesty birds are among just a few concerns. Not mention the nepotism in creating this airport makes me what other corners were cut when building it???? I guess time will tell. :o

I presume to Don Muang

My onward flight is to Chiang Rai with TG

Based on the current situation your Bankok-Chiangrai flight will leave from Don Muang.

THAI have made it clear that as long as their international flights arrive at Don Muang their domestic flights out of Bangkok will leave from Don Muang.

---------------

Maestro

Many Thanks maestro :o

tung tsz