Bright prospects for Thai dairy farming in ASEAN market

webfact

Hi Gunna,

The difference between the Saudi systems to tropical dairy farming is, the are high input enclosed systems as I'm sure you well know! It is hot here but temperature control is a major limiting factor which the Saudis and Israelis have mastered. Here in Thailand, they still try to copy the Californian model of using sprinklers in humid conditions. Like a bacteria bath! So the comment in that piece about the quality of milk being higher in Thailand than its neighbouring countries is nonsense. I know for certain processors here struggle to find quality milk they can process. Hence the massive importation of skimmed milk powders.

The biggest challenge in my opinion to develop the Thai dairy industry is, firstly it is a relatively new industry to Thailand (80 years!). The innate understanding of simple cow comfort, cow requirements (water!!), nutrition is seriously lacking here.

Currently I see the Government's plans for the development of this industry being aimed purely at reducing foreign exchange of imported dairy products. There must be more of an input from the Government to develop the skills and understanding of smallholder dairy farmers who are essentially the future of the industry. Why are we still focusing and spending outrageous amounts of money in University research on napier and local grasses that are of poor digestive value!!! They can easily grow 3 good crops of corn here per year. The dairy industry in Thailand is still focusing on being a low input, low cost industry that is heavily reliant on the by-product industry. We must shift away from this mentality.

They have the ability to develop this industry but face many challenges ahead. They must open the doors to assistance and realise they can learn a lot from their neighbours.

I wonder if anyone in Thailand's Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has noticed that the best milking cows are usually grown in cooler climates. Yes, dairy cows can be bred in the tropics but good milkers are usually found in cooler climates.

I know you said usually, but feed input has more to do with per cow production than temperature. Saudi and Israel ( especially in the Negev Desert where I milked cows on a Kibutz ) are both hotter than Thailand. Maybe they should try the New Zealand system of Rotational grazing with 80-90% grass grown on the farm. Lower per cow production, but much lower cost of buying in feed.

image.png

Hence why they should shift away from the Holstein genetics and invest more in genetics that are suitable to these climates! Just look at India.

Holsteins suffer severely in these conditions. I don't understand why there is still this focus on Holstein genetics in this part of the world.

I wonder if anyone in Thailand's Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has noticed that the best milking cows are usually grown in cooler climates. Yes, dairy cows can be bred in the tropics but good milkers are usually found in cooler climates.