Thai PM pushes for 5th, 6th Thai-Lao friendship bridges

webfact

PM pushes for 5th, 6th Thai-Lao friendship bridges
By Digital Content

14170782577686-640x390x1.jpg

VIENTIANE, Nov 27 -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha promoted building the fifth and sixth Thai-Lao friendship bridges during his two-day visit to Laos which ended yesterday.

Before leaving Vientiane for Hanoi, Gen Prayut told reporters that Thailand and Laos agreed to build the two new bridges across the Mekong River with the fifth bridge linking Bueng Kan and Pakxan and the sixth linking Ubon Ratchathani and Saravan.

He said Thailand will finance construction of the fifth bridge and will study the project to build the sixth bridge.

The prime minister said Thailand would develop another special economic zone in Nong Khai province in addition to that in Mukdahan province and provide more permanent border crossings to support the considerable and growing border trade with Laos. He also discussed railway connection from Thailand through Laos to China with the Lao authorities.

During the visit, Gen Prayut met Lao President Choummaly Sayasone and members of the Thai business community in Laos.

The Lao president recommended that both countries forget past conflicts.

The Thai prime minister asked the Thai business community to increase trade and promised government support for them. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-27

The more bridges the merrier, this will assist Expats to take the short route to their nearest Thai embassy to get those tourist Visa's, now all we need is the General to announce the streamlining of Expats Visa's and frequency of said bridges will not be necessary.coffee1.gif

as long Thailand will finance it and the Laotians will build it i think we are fine...

vice versa i had my doubts....

I heard Australia funded the Nong Khai bridge? Anyone know if this is true and have any thoughts as to why they would?

Edited by Tuskfish

as long Thailand will finance it and the Laotians will build it i think we are fine...

vice versa i had my doubts....

I heard Australia funded the Nong Khai bridge? Anyone know if this is true and have any thoughts as to why they would?

The First Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai was funded by Australia as an aid project for Lao. Thailand benefitted too of course. It was opened in 1997, and was then the second bridge over the Mekong - there are now more bridges constructed and more to come. A friend of mine was the project manager for the bridge construction, and they had much opposition (including some sabotage) at the time from the ferry operators whose businesses were about to go.

As to why Australia funded the bridge it was part of aid packages to the former French Indo China colonies following the Vietnam war, which also involved Cambodia and Lao in a big way. Australia was involved in that war and perhaps felt the need for a more peaceful involvement in the region.

Why build a bridge at Pakxan I wonder. The 4th friendship bridge is only a hundred kilometers away (near Tha Kaek) and is barely used. Paxkan is a small town, no tourism to speak off and no connections that are any better than 100 km down south at Tha Kaek.

By the way, those proposed bridges won't help in getting expats to the nearest Thai embassy or consulates, the first and second have that already covered.

I am sure the Lao won't object as long as Thailand is paying the bill.

Oh about the ferry operators, the people with Thai and Lao passports that are using the Nakhom Phanom - Tha Kaek border crossing still primarily use the ferry as it saves travelling north from NP for about 8 km and than back south for another 8 KM to TK. Only people with other passports are forced to use the bridge, all I can say is that the situation hasn't improved.

Edited by sjaak327

Yea stupid humans, 2 have posted so far.

No doubt there needs to be greater connectivity between Thailand and Lao as there is only one viable land border at Chong Mek that can be used for trade and that connects to the largely undeveloped south of Lao.

There also needs to be better organization of cross border trade, anyone who has been to Lao will have seen the handcarts being pushed across the bridges and the boats ferrying cargos over the river.

As there is already a rail project underway from Lao to Vietnam connecting into it from the proposed Nong Khai rail will be essential in the future for eventually it will all link up right through to China.

However lets stop that bloody great dam being built for it will do terrible damage not only to the environment but to the people who live along and depend on the river for their livelihood, in 4 countries.

Excuse me but Chong Mek certainly isn't the only border crossing that is viable for trade and connects to the south of Laos. The 4th friendship bridge at Tha Kaek and the Second at Savannakhet also connect to the south of Laos and onwards to Vietnam. There is no need for a bridge at Pakxan with the 4th being in relatively close proximity. In fact, even the first and the second aren't that far from Pakxan either.

Edited by sjaak327

Yea stupid humans, 2 have posted so far.

No doubt there needs to be greater connectivity between Thailand and Lao as there is only one viable land border at Chong Mek that can be used for trade and that connects to the largely undeveloped south of Lao.

There also needs to be better organization of cross border trade, anyone who has been to Lao will have seen the handcarts being pushed across the bridges and the boats ferrying cargos over the river.

As there is already a rail project underway from Lao to Vietnam connecting into it from the proposed Nong Khai rail will be essential in the future for eventually it will all link up right through to China.

However lets stop that bloody great dam being built for it will do terrible damage not only to the environment but to the people who live along and depend on the river for their livelihood, in 4 countries.

Excuse me but Chong Mek certainly isn't the only border crossing that is viable for trade and connects to the south of Laos. The 4th friendship bridge at Tha Kaek and the Second at Savannakhet also connect to the south of Laos and onwards to Vietnam. There is no need for a bridge at Pakxan with the 4th being in relatively close proximity. In fact, even the first and the second aren't that far from Pakxan either.

Try reading my post again.

I said " Viable Land border" that is a border that does not immediately cross the river.

Yes there is a bridge farther into Lao from this land crossing but it is not a border crossing and therefor crossing it is not hampered by customs.

Been there seen that.