A Very Useful Word

ATF

Came across this last week when I had to go to court. I was the defendant!

Surprised I've never heard it before but obviously has a lot of uses here. I've always used expressions like MAI NA SONN JAI etc. in the past.

Anyway the word is ประมาท PRAMAT which means careless, thoughtless, couldn't give a rats etc.

Put it to good use and excuse me scholars if this is too simple.

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I tend to use sohn-jai or mai-sohn-jai with regard to having/not having an interest or care in the subject.

I thought bpra-maat was more about having a care-less attitude and (depending on context) being slanderous or giving offence.

Isn't that an invitation to the judge to lock you up and throw away the key? smile.png "I couldn't give a rat's yer honna, m'lud, guv ..."

You'll be happy to know I was exonerated and am still on the loose. PRAMAT is the verb to be careless etc.

It would seem to me that ประมาท would be better defined as negligent in the sense that somebody didn't exercise ordinary care. I don't think it speaks to the mindset and, as such, I don't think it should be translated as not "giving a rat's ass" (which, to me, indicates something closer to intentional conduct). Just my opinion.

• Like 1