Abuse against women in Thailand on the rise: study

webfact

The rise of abuse against women is not confined to Thailand , this is another one of the worlds anti social trends that we can do without , lots of theories have been bandied about , mine, too much alcohol and drugs.bah.gif

My theory, gets them a better deal in a divorce, so why not accuse him.

No real evidence anywhere in the world that violence towards women is on the rise.

And in Thailand, plenty of violence towards men, but nobody cares about what happens to men.

Time for campaigns to aim at reducing violence towards anyone.

great post and I completely agree, it seems acceptable to physically abuse a man. Me and my thai gf were sitting on beach road in pattaya people watching and saw a thai couple arguing, she slapped him around the face which my gf thought was ok and I said would it be ok if he hit her which she replied no because she is lady, I then said if she wants to act like a man she must expect to be treated like a man! A very big discussion followed

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an experienced statistician who has also been a state manager for one of the worlds largest community service organisations..... this spike is likely to be because of increased reporting not increased incidence as they portray. If so, this could actually be a good thing, as long as those reports are ACTED ON by the authorities and the follow-up support mechanisms are adequately and genuinely resourced. The latter part is what is of most concern to me.

• Like 1

The rise of abuse against women is not confined to Thailand , this is another one of the worlds anti social trends that we can do without , lots of theories have been bandied about , mine, too much alcohol and drugs.bah.gif

No real evidence anywhere in the world that violence towards women is on the rise.

And in Thailand, plenty of violence towards men, but nobody cares about what happens to men.

great post and I completely agree, it seems acceptable to physically abuse a man. Me and my thai gf were sitting on beach road in pattaya people watching and saw a thai couple arguing, she slapped him around the face which my gf thought was ok and I said would it be ok if he hit her which she replied no because she is lady, I then said if she wants to act like a man she must expect to be treated like a man! A very big discussion followed

Wow. There's so much wrong with this, I don't know where to start!

tumblr_mlzxfnHs8z1r8t4b8o1_500.png

If you think hitting your spouse/significant other is "acting like a man," then you're reinforcing toxic masculinity. And that's exactly the problem to begin with! Of course it's unacceptable for either partner to assault the other, but the very fact you phrased it as you did demonstrates how deep the issue runs, and why ultimately it is our violent understanding of masculinities (plural, btw, because of sociocultural contexts) which needs to be addressed.

This reads more as a report, not a study. Stating a few statistics is not a study. What research was done? By whom? It sounds more than a little incredulous there would be a 50% increase in violence to women in one year. Why, also, was there no report of statistics of violence toward men? The fact that it is being one-sided reveals a media and cultural bias shared around the world that refuses to acknowledge that abuse is not exclusive to women.

Yeah, that comment doesn't reveal way too much about how you treat women, at all.

Abuse against women in Thailand on the rise. Abuse against men in Thailand on the rise. Abuse against foreigners in Thailand exponential!

Yes, you poor baby! You have every right as a white person to come and dominate others in lower class societies around the world with your money. And all you ask is that you are considered far more important than anyone else, and exempt from any type of harm while others suffer.

• Like 1

Abuse against women in Thailand on the rise. Abuse against men in Thailand on the rise. Abuse against foreigners in Thailand exponential!

Yes, you poor baby! You have every right as a white person to come and dominate others in lower class societies around the world with your money. And all you ask is that you are considered far more important than anyone else, and exempt from any type of harm while others suffer.

No just to be considered equal! It's the Thai Chinese who dominate with money - and corrupt police officers Edited by slipperx
  • Like 1

As the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" widens. abuse to others is just

another symptom along with teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, alcohol abuse, kids smoking

etc etc etc.

I don't think it being a featured regular theme on prime time TV is helping either.

No just to be considered equal! It's the Thai Chinese who dominate with money - and corrupt police officers

If you honestly believe that you aren't treated 10,000x better than some poor Thai girl on Sukhumvit, then you're either in a dream world of your own making, or need to go home immediately.

• Like 1

No just to be considered equal! It's the Thai Chinese who dominate with money - and corrupt police officers

If you honestly believe that you aren't treated 10,000x better than some poor Thai girl on Sukhumvit, then you're either in a dream world of your own making, or need to go home immediately.

For some that maybe true but not for everyone.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The rise of abuse against women is not confined to Thailand , this is another one of the worlds anti social trends that we can do without , lots of theories have been bandied about , mine, too much alcohol and drugs. alt=bah.gif>

Im sure you are an expert and well researched this topic prior to commenting - if by well researched I mean "pulled your opinion out of your ass"...

My research was at least as good as "The Nation" who reports 95% of Thais support the Junta, etc.

Thailand, hub of silly reports.

Not only that, but I am bright enough to use the "quote" button without adding rubbish lines to my posts, unlike some posters.

"Bright enough" - lets agree to disagree...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My sad reality is to ALLOW domestic abuse if i see it in public. I am amazed that I said this, but it's true. I've seen too many farang beat up very, very badly when interfering. So am I part of the problem?

Never interfere in a fight between Thais even if its a woman involved, worst case scenario, they both attack you together.

Thais are unpredictable, make no mistake, their smile don't mean they like you or want to be your friend. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

My sad reality is to ALLOW domestic abuse if i see it in public. I am amazed that I said this, but it's true. I've seen too many farang beat up very, very badly when interfering. So am I part of the problem?

Never interfere in a fight between Thais even if its a woman involved, worst case scenario, they both attack you together.

Thais are unpredictable, make no mistake, their smile don't mean they like you or want to be your friend. coffee1.gif

One time in my building, this French guy was just beating the ____ out of this tiny Thai girl at 4am, and I went running outside - half the guy's size at that - to try to stop him somehow, at least with reason. And to my shock, this Thai girl stopped and calmly waited for him to come back and they could go at it again. It was very disheartening!

That doesn't mean she 'deserved' it, or any of the typical things you'll hear men say. Because it's in her background that she's used to this, and that's the part she doesn't deserve, to be conditioned to accept this treatment. But it was eye opening for me.

The rise of abuse against women is not confined to Thailand , this is another one of the worlds anti social trends that we can do without , lots of theories have been bandied about , mine, too much alcohol and drugs. alt=bah.gif>

Im sure you are an expert and well researched this topic prior to commenting - if by well researched I mean "pulled your opinion out of your ass"...

So you want to discuss 2 + what? = what?, and when someone offers logic, you offer an ad hominem.

The OP describes a problem. Without discussing legitimate solutions, or implying that the OP may be unfair in its focus is to imply that one wishes to discuss 2 + what? = what? without really offering any solution, but feeling good about it just the same.

• Like 1

define abuse?

Your post?

The definition of abuse would be a good factor to conclude before moving forward. The distribution of abuse, the definitions of each case, and by whom and why, would also be a good move forward.

This is another ad hominem to detract from getting to the truth before any solution can be targeted.

Why only Women ? They should also include abuse and torture again man too in Thailand....

Because men are not the topic here. As clearly stated in the title, women are the topic here. And yet, for some reason, every single time a topic about women's issues comes up (sometimes even in a dedicated woman-oriented space, which this is decidedly not), the reaction within just a few comments/posts is "what about the menz?"

Incidentally men on men violence is an effect of the dominance of men backfiring on other men. It's not some proof that men and women are equally targeted in the same ways with the same intent.

The proper response to "Wow, look at this increase in violence against women" is not, "That's horrible, but let's talk about violence against men now!"

I think what the poster is suggesting is that women may be the topic, but women are mistaken to think that they can abuse men by delegating them to cannon fodder on forums where the topic is women.

I disagree with that you confine the poster's view to only two possibilities, and express that you are threatened that the focus will be taken away from women being abused if men are also focused on.

Don't you think that the two contribute to each other, and that finding similarities in the two would turn focus away from a competition and into a working relationship?

Yeah, that comment doesn't reveal way too much about how you treat women, at all.

What the poster said is true, and statistics will support that. How the poster said it could be overlooked, in its crudity, merely because it is true and incites raw emotions, understandably so.

Now the thing is, and your other posts reflect this, is why on earth you are coming across with ad hominems and not contributing with clear and informative information?

• Like 1

There must be something about domestic violence that fascinates Thai women , many of whom spend the evening glued to channel 7 on the television .

Every episode constitutes violence and often women against women and men against women and attempted rape . People often do in real life what they have seen on television .

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.
  • Like 1

Mine because the Police are disinterested in it and the perpetrators know this and carry on with impunity, youll always get the " it happens elsewhere" people but "elsewhere" will take this much more seriously.

This is not constructive. If you wish to illuminate us on your vast wisdom over the issue, then this is definitely not the best approach. Just my take on it.

I understand the tone and implications of the poster's response, and I see the bit of sarcasm as well, but it is only sarcasm.

Remember, the ones you champion are also mothers, and those mothers are the primary contributor for raising the male children, who grow up and become the focus of your obsession.

You can endeavor to make laws that mop up the leaks, and bemoan the damage that the leaking causes, but until you consider all the factors that go into what is causing the leak, the mopping will go on.

Now, I am curious how you determine the poster is white, and not a female, and then exonerate your intentions as pure and sincere.

If women, who are largely responsible for raising the generations of young males, speak to said young males on this level ("...you poor baby!"), then perhaps it is no wonder young males grow into adult males and don't give a rip about women's rights... because the abuse they suffered growing up is a pot ready to boil over on the next woman who triggers their pent up emotion.

What I am suggesting, and what I think needs a second look, is that women reconsider their role in raising young males, and perhaps perform better in understanding the proper upbringing of young males, so that when they reach adulthood, they are equipped with the elements of behavior that women desire most.

But please, in respectfully addressing your other rants, do not take responsibility for "getting to keep the children", or "being abandoned with the children", and then forfeit your responsibilities and go out with those "burdens" under your care, and raise a damaged product, and then condemn it.

Just my take on a few perspectives.