'Weeping' Australia mourns Hughes

webfact

Phillip Hughes death: 'Weeping' Australia in mourning - Slater

(BBC) The death of Phillip Hughes has left a country weeping and has "changed cricket forever" - according to former Australian batsman Michael Slater.

The 25-year-old died on Thursday - two days after being struck in the neck during a domestic match in Australia.
"I think we've all wept in the last day or so," Slater told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I don't think anyone thought the outcome would be Phillip Hughes passing away."

Slater added of the batsman: "It is so heavy and confusing. It's not what happens in cricket. In this instance it has changed cricket forever.

"The whole of Australia is mourning because he was a fighter. He got dropped by Australia but came back out and scored lots of runs. Australians can relate to that - he was gritty. His death has affected a nation."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/30239932

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-28

RIP Phil

I can see there being new rules on bowling bouncers in all first rate cricket.

Everyone knows bouncers are there to do damage to the batsman and make him jump away. It is NOT going for the wicket, it should be banned immediately.... Unfortunately it takes the death of a young man to get this to happen... typical of everything in this world, to many rules born out of frustration and tragedy.

• Like 1

Maybe a High Ball rule similar to the Wide Ball rule, ie, above the hight of the batsman's elbow.

The bowler will have to live with this for the rest of his life... even worse if it was an intended bouncer.

Edited by Basil B

Bowlers have been using the bouncer as a tool for years and years. Don't see any sense in banning it.

I'd go further than that -- banning bouncers would be counter-productive and damaging.

1. These kinds of incidents, while extremely tragic, are very rare. If this were commonplace, Phil Hughes' death would not have come as such an appalling shock.

2. If bouncers were formally banned, there would still be accidental bouncers bowled (spiteful pitch, bowler loss of control) and batsmen unused to facing bouncers would be clueless as how to play them, maybe leading to more injuries.

Consider the case of the accidental beamer. No batsman is used to those and they are probably the most dangerous ball in the game.

3. In some ways, helmets are to blame, not bouncers. With the false security of a helmet, all batsmen, even tail-enders, are taking on the hook shot instead of ducking and weaving.

As with the case of the beamer, batsmen nowadays are much less adept or much less willing at the art of getting out of the way of short-pitched deliveries.

If a 40-year-old puffgut like Colin Cowdrey is prepared to open the batting at the WACA against Thommo and Lillee in their prime (and make 41), wearing a cap and a goofy smile, then today's batsmen could do it as well.

The last two batsmen to be killed were both struck after missing hook shots (Darryn Randall of South Africa was the other.)

4. Is it really beyond our capabilities to design a better helmet? I see riot police all over the world with their necks protected but still able to be mobile.

5. Cricket relies on this elemental contest between bat & ball; take away a major weapon for the fast bowler and you pretty much ruin the game. We might as well go and play softball.

• Like 2

Here he is, pic taken during that 1974 Perth Test

cowdrey_at-perth_zps2c44bde8.jpg

He's wearing a thigh pad above the left pad, but no arm, chest or head protection.

And I can't believe that there have been many more dangerous propositions than Thommo and Lillee at the WACA, especially for an old guy with slowing reactions.

The Hughes incident was a terrible, freak accident and should not lead to the emasculation of a great sport, whatever the emotions that many are currently -- and quite understandably -- feeling.

Cricket is called the Gentleman's game blink.png

I see nothing gentlemanly about hurtling a deadly missile at almost 100Kmh at your opponents head. w00t.gif

I cant think of any other game where you are allowed to deliberately injure or maim and kill your opponent.

Even boxing where the aim is to incapacitate your opponent they have rules of what is allowed. In football and rugby any injury to a player is dealt with yet in the "Gentleman's Game" there is nothing to stop you.

It's crazy that to play the humble game of cricket these days you have to wear full face helmet protection.

What happened to the leather on willow on the village green an a summers afternoon?

I feel for the players involved, it should never have been allowed to happen.

The bowler should be charged with manslaughter at the very least.sad.png

I see nothing gentlemanly about hurtling a deadly missile at almost 100Kmh at your opponents head. w00t.gif

I cant think of any other game where you are allowed to deliberately injure or maim and kill your opponent.

Even boxing where the aim is to incapacitate your opponent they have rules of what is allowed. In football and rugby any injury to a player is dealt with yet in the "Gentleman's Game" there is nothing to stop you.

It's crazy that to play the humble game of cricket these days you have to wear full face helmet protection.

What happened to the leather on willow on the village green an a summers afternoon?

It's sport mate and it was an accident.

xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.pngermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.pnghuh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png You cannot be serious...wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

I think you would have to prove it was intentional...

It was a fluke accident, but if the powers that be do nothing to reduce the risk of this happening again, I hope that it happens in a country where they may be by there negligence be charged with corporate manslaughter.

As for the bowler, he will have to live with this for the rest of his life, not a nice thought.

Edited by Basil B

Test cricket has been played for over a 100 years and this is the first time someone has died.

Maybe Test Cricket, but not in domestic and other levels of cricket.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/27/cricket-australia-hughes-deaths-idUKL3N0TH1XW20141127

That I think is only the tip of the iceberg, it does not account for Sunday games on the Village Green.

160g of dense material travelling at close to if not in excess of 100mph/160Kph can do a lot of damage, may be the first death in Test Cricket, but name a professional cricketer who has not had a serious injury in their career?

Edited by Basil B

Test cricket has been played for over a 100 years and this is the first time someone has died.

Maybe Test Cricket, but not in domestic and other levels of cricket.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/27/cricket-australia-hughes-deaths-idUKL3N0TH1XW20141127

That I think is only the tip of the iceberg, it does not account for Sunday games on the Village Green.

160g of dense material travelling at close to if not in excess of 100mph/160Kph can do a lot of damage, may be the first death in Test Cricket, but name a professional cricketer who has not had a serious injury in their career?

Just a tip, playing cricket isn't compulsory. In all levels it's played by hundreds of thousands of people each week.

Sounds to me like you want to play it using a tennis ball.

But you're right I guess, let's ban horse racing, F1 driving, rugby, soccer, baseball, hockey, cycling, skiing etc etc.

People have died while watching golf by getting hit on the head by a stray golf ball. Let's ban spectating as well.

Lets let's have a bit of commonsense please.

• Like 1

Another death being reported on BBC. This time in Israel. An umpire at the batter's end was struck in the neck by the ball as it ricocheted off of a bail. Ambulance staff tried to resuscitate him for an hour.

I think you mean the square leg umpire; which is where the umpire 'at the batters end' stands.

Although the BBC report doesn't make it clear which umpire it was.

A batsman's shot struck Hillel Oscar in the neck, possibly after a ricochet from the stumps at his end of the pitch.

However, from The Guardian

One of the players who witnessed the incident told the Nana10 website that the umpire, standing at the bowler’s end, was struck by the ball in his face after it ricocheted off the stumps from a shot that came straight down the pitch.

Another very sad incident, and my sympathy to his family and the batsman concerned.

I am sorry about my lack of indignation, Phil was a wonderful player whom I have seen many times but in any team sport in which there are upwards of 20 men careering around a small field with hard random balls travelling at high velocities, sooner or later an accident will happen and a player will be hit, and, because there are so many uncontrollable factors a small percentage of those hits will result in serious injury and a vanishingly smaller percentage will result in death. The only way to avoid it is to ban all team sports since deaths occur in all of them. Then you might find that the people who can no longer play Cricket, football, Baseball, Basketball, Polo or even volleyball might go and kill themselves snow boarding or surfing. Accidents cannot be avoided and while we should take every possible chance to try to avoid them, it will never happen. Watch the spectacle, enjoy the competition but also be aware that, just as in the case of 2,000 school kids crossing a road 2 times each day, sooner or later, it is inevitable that one will be killed by a car, no matter how well planned it is, it will still happen. We must simply understand that accidents cannot be planned, that is why they are called accidents.

In 1976, the English team' batting was getting pummeled by one of the finest fast bowling attacks ever assembled, that of the West Indies - Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Wayne Daniel, Vanburn Holder and Brendan Julien

The selectors' answer was to bring back the 45-year old Yorkshireman Brian Close to open the batting, after 9 years of not playing international cricket.

It was a good move -- he made 60 & 46 in the 2nd Test, and stood up, without a helmet, without a cap, and even without any hair, declining to show any pain or weakness despite as good a roughing up by short-pitched bowling as has ever been seen.

closey_zps3f06a3c4.png

"I used to get hit, but it only stays with you for a moment. I got hit on the body, legs, but you just get on with the job. It is mind over matter, it was the way I was brought up, the game came first, the team came second and you came last.”

Things have certainly changed.