What kind of wood is this?

beb

Hope I get this picture attached properly. I picked up a bundle of wood at a shop that sells charcoal and stuff for grilling. I think they cater to the roadside kiosk people. Anyway, I was thinking maybe I can use this for smoking since they apparently use it in cooking but wanted to ask if there are any wood geniuses out there that may be able to identify it for me.

any help?

Thanks!lGNIEUy.jpg

A mate of mine in the UK has a hedging/fencing business and whenever questioned by some of his HiSo clients as to "what wood are the posts made from?" - a reply of "tree wood" usually did the trick.

• Like 1

i don't know the tree,but if it is the stuff for starting the fire which they sell with the charcoal ,it has lots and lots of resin and smell like it too,i wouldn't use it for smoking.it will ruin your food.

Depends on what he means by smoking.

i don't know the tree,but if it is the stuff for starting the fire which they sell with the charcoal ,it has lots and lots of resin and smell like it too,i wouldn't use it for smoking.it will ruin your food.

I know what wood you are referring to and this photo is definitely not of that. I use lots of lychee wood and this is it.

This is very likely to be krathon wood, a tree that bear fruits that are not so widely sold in supermarket but definitely in local markets. When freshly cut the wood is almost pink, then darken to pale brown soon afterward. I use it to make furniture at my workshop. It's not very dense, but not prone to termite attacks. However better to keep it indoor as it will rotten quickly in a garden.

English: Santol or cottonwood. Latin: sandoricum koetjape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandoricum_koetjape