ED Visa : 2 hours/day is coming?

Hi there!

As some rumors suggested, it seems new rules for ED Visa are coming : a recent notice pinned to the school wall states that 2 lessons/day is now a minimum while "new timetables are coming" according to the school (the current timetables arrangement allows only 2 days/4 lessons by week (or 3 days/6 lessons by week for "beginners", aka "Book 1").

That "VISA price" drastically increased too: I originally subscribed for a 1 year visa/120 lessons for 840USD. Nowadays, that 1 year visa is showing at 2240USD (400 lessons).

Now the stupid thing : if my calculations are correct, how could we achieve that 1 year VISA by attending 10 lessons / week with 400 lessons? clap2.gif

The worst thing is that I originally subscribed to 120 lessons, thus applying for a 1 year VISA at that time, but my lessons will expire well before! facepalm.gif My whole life here was planned (and booked!) according to that duration : 12 month house contract, 12 month car contract and of course: tickets.

Will I have to add 2000USD or more for those extra lessons? Not even talking about the "lessons everyday" requirements. No way! I'll certainly move elsewhere, I'm fed up with Thailand.

I'm a digital nomad, I just need an A/C outlet, and some internet connection. That's it. thumbsup.gif

I'll forget about my deposits, and I'll spend my money elsewhere once my lessons stock will be empty and I'll never get back.

Là Khon! wai2.gif

Edited by Andamania

It is horrible when you have to study for your student visa. Good luck elsewhere.

No need to be ironic: which kind of VISA do you recommend, if I'm NOT above 60? Elite Visa? cheesy.gif I'm not fitting into ANY visa - I'm a perpetual tourist.

BTW, I do not plan to marry a Thai (I'm using condoms).

Edited by Andamania
  • Like 1

As you are working you need a non imm B.

I'm not doing ANY business in Thailand or with Thai: the only bahts I see are those I withdraw from the ATM to live here. I'm just driving my business from my swimming pool, not the same thing. whistling.gif

Edited by Andamania

With 2240 USD it is already quite close to the costs of Thai Elite card, which is about 3200 dollars per year. Of course you have to pay that 500 000 Baht at once.

Why kill a golden goose? The current system works really well for everybody. A lot of farangs learn Thai, Thai teachers improve their English at the same time and many Thais earn their living from the schools.

It is like they are trying to find ways to prevent farangs from spending their own hard earned money in Thailand. Totally idiotic.

• Like 1

With 2240 USD it is already quite close to the costs of Thai Elite card, which is about 3200 dollars per year. Of course you have to pay that 500 000 Baht at once.

As with the Thai Elite card, even if you're paying the bill you're not sure a future "new rule" won't break whatever assumed as "acquired".

Totally fed-up, less than 6 month after my arrival. Welcome in Thailand! clap2.gif

Edited by Andamania

Any increase in cost will have to be stated by the schools, so far that has not happened.

Here's the web archive regarding the school offers at the date I subscribed. You'll find here, the actual page : hourly rates are the same of course, but the "one year VISA gift " moved from the 120 lessons package, to the 400 lessons one. That's a fact.

Moreover, They're are currently re-arranging the timetables from 2 days/week (weekdays depends on "level") to 2 lessons/day (any levels). That's another fact.

I doubt my school are re-arranging timetables, or raising their "VISA" price for nothing.

Edited by Andamania

The price and link you posted is for English classes. I assume that is what you are studying.

For Thai language it is 1$290.00 for 400 hours.

I'm attending English courses, I'm not a native english. If I'm forced to come to school, I prefer to learn the most usefull one.

By the way, my post above was not meant to underestimate the increase in cost of studying Thai and getting a visa and extensions.

I estimate that being now between 50 and 60K Bt a year. But that was known already since August at least.

I'm not doing ANY business in Thailand or with Thai: the only bahts I see are those I withdraw from the ATM to live here. I'm just driving my business from my swimming pool, not the same thing. whistling.gif

You still need a work permit whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

That's total non-sense : if tourists checks their professional e-mails and answers some calls, so they'll need a work permit. cheesy.gif

I do answer my e-mails from my swimming pool, while enjoying a Singha.

Come on.

That's total non-sense : if tourists checks their professional e-mails and answers some calls, so they'll need a work permit. cheesy.gif

Come on.

No it isn't you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Here is an example what is seen as working

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1329

Rules are rules.does your country of origin allow unfettered entry and no visa regulations?

If you don't like it well move n you're hardly like to be missed.

i like many others have been here many years we comply with the law why can't or why won't you?

The monies you talk about are far outweighed by the taxes I and many others who comply with the law here pay

Oh a special case are you well in your own minds that is.

Strongly worded statement for something that isn't black and white at all, open to interpretation and widely debated. Not to mention unenforced (zero historical arrests of digital nomads) and the fact that this is Thailand where laws are flexible anyway.

Funny to see the definition of 'work' in that link as starting with 'the engagement in work...' so what is work?

I just exerted energy and knowledge to write this post for the benefit of adding balance to the thread, I didn't have a work permit for that.

To most with common sense work is what is defined here in the personas non grata list - http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

' 3. Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training.'

I.e foreigners that take jobs from Thais. Which is fair enough. Not a digital nomad by the pool spending his money in a country with no government benefits etc.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training.'

Exactly the description of a digital nomad banging away on their keyboard , nowt more than common labouring on a par with that excellent old regiment Mc'Alpines Fusiliers.

a2566328003_10.jpg

Come on.

But it appears your not a tourist, you have stated your on an Ed visa therefore your not a tourist, and believe the Ed visa specifically excludes working as a T&C of your Ed visa and it seems you are working

The price and link you posted is for English classes. I assume that is what you are studying.

For Thai language it is 1$290.00 for 400 hours.

I'm attending English courses, I'm not a native english. If I'm forced to come to school, I prefer to learn the most usefull one.

How dare they, they have give you an Ed visa to learn English and make you go to class as well :o

As defined by your link:

"The engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits."

In short: "if you're spending calories to do something valuable, you'll need a work permit". I should tell my friends to stop looking at their stock exchange while visiting me cheesy.gif

I'm not fitting in that definition either: most of my incomes are coming from rentals I own in Europe, the remaining from stocks option. Not really the kind of work described here.

The VISA that would probably fit me best is "retired". But I'm well under 60 whistling.gif

Go and get a TE visa then, for such a high roller Thb 500k for 5 years is not a big deal then

As defined by your link:

"The engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits."

In short: "if you're spending calories to do something valuable, you'll need a work permit". I should tell my friends to stop looking at their stock exchange while visiting me cheesy.gif

I'm not fitting in that definition either: most of my incomes are coming from rentals I own in Europe, the remaining from stocks option. Not really the kind of work described here.

The VISA that would probably fit me best is "retired". But I'm well under 60 whistling.gif

Retirement is for over 50 not 60.

Strongly worded statement for something that isn't black and white at all, open to interpretation and widely debated. Not to mention unenforced (zero historical arrests of digital nomads) and the fact that this is Thailand where laws are flexible anyway.

Funny to see the definition of 'work' in that link as starting with 'the engagement in work...' so what is work?

I just exerted energy and knowledge to write this post for the benefit of adding balance to the thread, I didn't have a work permit for that.

To most with common sense work is what is defined here in the personas non grata list - http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

' 3. Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training.'

I.e foreigners that take jobs from Thais. Which is fair enough. Not a digital nomad by the pool spending his money in a country with no government benefits etc.

It is black and white:

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0366.pdf

It is discussed to death by people who don't know the law and/or think they are special.

• Like 1

It is horrible when you have to study for your student visa. Good luck elsewhere.

No need to be ironic: which kind of VISA do you recommend, if I'm NOT above 60? Elite Visa? cheesy.gif I'm not fitting into ANY visa - I'm a perpetual tourist.

BTW, I do not plan to marry a Thai (I'm using condoms).

Then TOUR! in perpetuity. Who gives a cr$p coffee1.gif

Go and get a TE visa then, for such a high roller Thb 500k for 5 years is not a big deal then

No way : spending 500,000THB without having ANY guarantee they won't break the rule afterward?

They haven't "broke the rules" with the more expensive TE programs to date as regards the visa options, and these have been in place for many years already

• Like 1