American arrested for sex crimes here and in the US

Lite Beer

When I started my teaching job I had to go to the royal thai police headquarters and have a criminal record check done which included being fingerprinted. Recieved a document a month later stating that I had no criminal record in Thailand or my home country. All schools should and must do this with all new foreign teachers. Just the idea alone will scare aware any dodgy people.

When I started my teaching job, I had to go to the royal thai police headquarters and have a criminal record check done. It included also being fingerprinted. A month later I received a document, stating that I had no criminal record, not in Thailand nor in my home country. In my opinion all of the schools should do this, especially with the new foreign teachers. Just the idea of going through it would be enough to scare away any dodgy people.

crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif Sorry I just had to, because you're supposed to be a teacher w00t.gif

On topic: Another alleged offender off the soil - good work RTP wai.gif

What a nit picker! OK - royal thai police, or Royal Thai Police (Hint - you got it right at the end!) Sorry, just had to because you were trying to be a smart a**e! (OK moderators - "know it all")

Sorry you took my post so gravely into your heart, even though I wasn't talking to you at all. I left the spelling error you pointed there, so the diablo dude could make a counter post and we could share a laugh together - it was merely a tongue in cheek type of post :)

And no, I was not trying to be a a$$ hat - I'm not a native speaker myself, and tend to make mistakes as well, as do we all at times - I'll try to refrain myself from these types of posts in the future wai.gif

re @Soutpeel, banning all farang male teachers;

Imho what you suggest would be wrong course of action. It would be a 'nanny state'-reaction towards the issue. Why treat the root cause, or do something simple as requiring the same criminal record checks as most of the developed countries use, when you can transfer the problem to someone else and have them worry about it. Thinking more about it, it indeed would be according to Thai logic, to put in place such a ridiculous restriction rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is like a magnet for the trash of the World,the more they

catch the better,a few years in a Thai prison is what they need,then

deport them to their home countries.

regards Worgeordie

Why's that do you think? Couldn't be anything to do with massive bribe taking, lack of law enforcement and rampant prostitution could it? huh.png

This country deserves the trash it gets.

Thailand is also relatively pretty safe. That's why trash don't go to other places (e.g. most of Africa, parts of South America) where there are also massive bribe taking, lack of law enforcement and rampant prostitution.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

well well... My wife and I just removed our son from a school here in Nakon pathom because the owner and full time teacher at the school was recently caught in a lie hidding the fact that he was convicted of a brutal rape back in america and released in 2004. He served a 10 yr prison term to be be released early (3 years) on condition that he return back to Thailand not to return to the USA. He came to Thailand and started a career teaching English as he doesn't speak Thai that well. Then he was let go of his last job because the school found out that he had this criminal record. he then started his own school with his wife. According to the police and Thai school board it was perfectly ok because after all he is Thai and the offence happened in america not Thailand..... At least that was there way of thinking.... Back in America he is not allowed within 1000 ft of a school but here... living the life. We gave them the opportunity to go before the entire school (moms and dads) and tell them the story but they did not and kept it a secret instead... unfortunately without the support of others to make this known even though we had the paperwork from the USA we just let it go as we don't have time for that kind of stress.

What needs to be done is for both Thai and expat teachers to be police cleared from their respective place of origin and a working with children permit issued, no certificate no work.

Erm, maybe also test expat teachers on their qualifications and abilities? What for instance with the scores of English 'teachers' who know nothing about the language's grammar, and even barely speak it, but got a job here... Can't expect the same tests for Thais though, alas... I have witnessed appaling situations, even for my non-native English speaker's ears and eyes... 'In the kingdom of the blind (persons), the one-eyed (person) is king' (transl. fm. French)?

Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and Thaialnd pays EFL teachers miserably even in comparison to its poorer neighbours. Combine the low pay with a lack of a proper curriculum or even any kind of realistic and achievable goals; non-existent resources; impossible class sizes; obstructive or indifferent colleagues; unmotivated students - and it's scarcely a wonder that professionally qualified teachers who take their job seriously won't work in the country.

But the issue of sketchy EFL teachers is merely symptomatic of the whole Thai education system.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

well well... My wife and I just removed our son from a school here in Nakon pathom because the owner and full time teacher at the school was recently caught in a lie hidding the fact that he was convicted of a brutal rape back in america and released in 2004. He served a 10 yr prison term to be be released early (3 years) on condition that he return back to Thailand not to return to the USA. He came to Thailand and started a career teaching English as he doesn't speak Thai that well. Then he was let go of his last job because the school found out that he had this criminal record. he then started his own school with his wife. According to the police and Thai school board it was perfectly ok because after all he is Thai and the offence happened in america not Thailand..... At least that was there way of thinking.... Back in America he is not allowed within 1000 ft of a school but here... living the life. We gave them the opportunity to go before the entire school (moms and dads) and tell them the story but they did not and kept it a secret instead... unfortunately without the support of others to make this known even though we had the paperwork from the USA we just let it go as we don't have time for that kind of stress.

What needs to be done is for both Thai and expat teachers to be police cleared from their respective place of origin and a working with children permit issued, no certificate no work.

Erm, maybe also test expat teachers on their qualifications and abilities? What for instance with the scores of English 'teachers' who know nothing about the language's grammar, and even barely speak it, but got a job here... Can't expect the same tests for Thais though, alas... I have witnessed appaling situations, even for my non-native English speaker's ears and eyes... 'In the kingdom of the blind (persons), the one-eyed (person) is king' (transl. fm. French)?

Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and Thailand pays EFL teachers miserably even in comparison to its poorer neighbours. Combine the low pay with a lack of a proper curriculum or even any kind of realistic and achievable goals; non-existent resources; impossible class sizes; obstructive or indifferent colleagues; unmotivated students - and it's scarcely a wonder that professionally qualified teachers who take their job seriously won't work in the country.

But the issue of sketchy EFL teachers is merely symptomatic of the whole Thai education system.

When I started my teaching job I had to go to the royal thai police headquarters and have a criminal record check done which included being fingerprinted. Recieved a document a month later stating that I had no criminal record in Thailand or my home country. All schools should and must do this with all new foreign teachers. Just the idea alone will scare aware any dodgy people.

When I started my teaching job, I had to go to the royal thai police headquarters and have a criminal record check done. It included also being fingerprinted. A month later I received a document, stating that I had no criminal record, not in Thailand nor in my home country. In my opinion all of the schools should do this, especially with the new foreign teachers. Just the idea of going through it would be enough to scare away any dodgy people.

crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif Sorry I just had to, because you're supposed to be a teacher w00t.gif

On topic: Another alleged offender off the soil - good work RTP wai.gif

What a nit picker! OK - royal thai police, or Royal Thai Police (Hint - you got it right at the end!) Sorry, just had to because you were trying to be a smart a**e! (OK moderators - "know it all")

Sorry you took my post so gravely into your heart, even though I wasn't talking to you at all. I left the spelling error you pointed there, so the diablo dude could make a counter post and we could share a laugh together - it was merely a tongue in cheek type of post smile.png

And no, I was not trying to be a <deleted> hat - I'm not a native speaker myself, and tend to make mistakes as well, as do we all at times - I'll try to refrain myself from these types of posts in the future wai.gif

re @Soutpeel, banning all farang male teachers;

Imho what you suggest would be wrong course of action. It would be a 'nanny state'-reaction towards the issue. Why treat the root cause, or do something simple as requiring the same criminal record checks as most of the developed countries use, when you can transfer the problem to someone else and have them worry about it. Thinking more about it, it indeed would be according to Thai logic, to put in place such a ridiculous restriction rolleyes.gif

wai.gif As some non English English speakers would say - "Back at ya"! And as a non-native speaker you do a lot better than most natives! clap2.gif

I hope the US authorities are not so keen to get him back that they don't let him serve his full Thai sentence first. It would be wrong if he missed out on that experience.

Exactly.... just send back whatever is left of him, after he does his time here!

Before I came here two years ago from Australia, I applied for a Retirement Visa

from the Thai Embassy in Canberra (no Thai services now in Perth).

One of the things required in the package of documents to Canberra, was

a police background check which I enclosed.

Unfortunately I forgot something else (bank records from memory) and

the package was returned to me with...

"Due to time constraints, we suggest you enter Thailand on a tourist visa and change to

a Retirement Visa once there".

I did as suggested but when applying in Phuket, less paperwork was needed and

the police check was now not required!?

NS

Same here. I needed one to get a non imm b from the US but never needed once in Thailand.

I hope this American guy gets at least a few months in a regular cell in a Thailand

prison, before he goes anywhere. It sounds like this man needs his gonads removed

at the least. I have seen a prison up at Chiang Mai and after chatting with a few inmates,

I hope this guy gets to be like a few of them, they were all losing a bit of

weight as the prison diet is basic. They were desperate for an English newspaper, as

some had not seen or heard or read of any news for quite a while.

Stargeezer

What worries me is that all these schools don't even take the time to check on these applicants. When are they going to learn that? If the appropriate authorities had gone into this a little bit deeper they might've prevented all unnecessary suffering as mentioned in this article. As far as I'm concerned scumbag like him should never be allowed to return and rot in the Bangkok Hilton!

All what schools? I can tell you that any school that pays enough for a farang to live on will be checking references. The rules have become very stringent over the years.

Thailand pays the least of any country in East Asia... and.... They don't do a very good job of checking visas/passports when people enter the country due to corruption and laziness...

These two factors should pretty much explain why the bottom of the barrel for English teachers end up there. Good ones go elsewhere and get paid enough money to live and save, bad ones can't go elsewhere because they lack college degrees and/or have criminal records...

• Like 1

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time. Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.

Reference: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

Sure its can be very productive and talented people...., like Steve Jobs, Mel Gibson, Ernest Hemingway, Richard Greene, Picasso, Van Gogh, Robin Williams, Catherine Zeta Jones, David Dukovny, et, etc, a very long list. But also some people not productive at all.... like Adolph Hitler.

It is a very complicated mental problem...and a major cause of depression, suicides, and drug and sexual abuse...Ironically, Thailand has the best treatments centers and wellness retreats for bipolar disorder.

Bullseye - we got our first Hitler reference of the day... Here we go again:

Here's a 2nd one:

After reading "Mein Kampf" I think Hitler was just an enormous sociopath and criminal, no excuses for his well-founded strategy, please.

Maybe he was used by Big Money and Hugenberg et al., but this doesn't make him a sick soul.

so...you took your kid and left everyone elses there to an unkown fate....outstanding effort

Huh...i know someone that paid for the vip speedy service here

What worries me is that all these schools don't even take the time to check on these applicants. When are they going to learn that? If the appropriate authorities had gone into this a little bit deeper they might've prevented all unnecessary suffering as mentioned in this article. As far as I'm concerned scumbag like him should never be allowed to return and rot in the Bangkok Hilton!

All what schools? I can tell you that any school that pays enough for a farang to live on will be checking references. The rules have become very stringent over the years.

Maybe it depends on what area of the country you are in and who you work for! I have taught in the upper NE for many years and have never heard of a private or government school doing a background check. I recently become employed by a large and well known language school company that provides programs to government schools (it offers a program via power point presentations with a repeat, repeat, repeat motto) that hires without needing a police clearance letter. In fact on several occasions I offered to provide one and they said it was not a problem. This past summer one of their recruits was arrested in Udon Thani for allegedly killing his girl friend in (pattaya or pucket, can not remember but made headline news here on TV), as well they constantly send out e-mails regarding inappropriate touching of students is to be avoided! They also hire teachers without degrees and a few without even a high school diploma.

This company offers 33,000 baht/month plus a year end bonus at the end, operate in what I believe are nearly 70 government schools in Thailand, So if a large, well known language school operating under "Western Management" in government schools across Thailand does not bother with screening its employees, can you tell me what are the chances of government (or not) school outside of Bangkok doing so?

edit - 33,000baht/month

Edited by rct99q

I'm not sure how an American can get away with masquerading as a Brit. That alone should havea tThainot think yave made local farang leery. Everyone knows that there are dodgy farang here.

Just talk like a Brit: (Hello Chap it'sa pleasure to make your acquaintance and it's bloody right good of you to give me an English teaching job.) Why would Thai think he is not British?