Rex Hotel closes 30 December

tim armstrong

I'm putting this one here as many tv members may know this place. I just booked a room for next week at the Rex hotel on Sukumvit where I have stayed regularly for the past 12 years. The staff there told me it will close on 30 December, and they will all lose their jobs. Sad to see as this is one of the old hotels in Bangkok that has character. I think its been there since Vietnam days and has always been a good place to stay that was not quite in the night time action. I'd be interested if anyone knows what is happening to the site. My guess would be a Korean redevelopment from the ground up. Tim

Stayed there regularly from 1989 onwards.

All the staff knew me and I just walked in without reservation.

They did use double pricing though even showing the Thai price on a huge banner.

Paid 500B/nigth until better deals could be found elsewhere once price got up above 1k B

Remember Sukhumvit was sunny before they built the BTS

I won't be able to jump in to say goodbye to the staff, no plans to come down to BKK this month.

I only stayed at the Rex a couple of times. The last time I was in the coffee shop a few years ago it was like nothing had changed. Sorry to see it going the way of the Federal and Crown. What I enjoyed most about the Rex was the after hours coffee shop back in the late sixties and early seventies.