perfect helmet for hot Thailand? Nexx x30

ttakata

With the heat of the face,head.The helmet is like an insulator it keeps heat in.If you had Airconditioning on the motorcycle,yeah right,You could have air pumped in thru A hose.But Ya can't get hot air out.At least I have never heard of it.

Your just going to be hotter in Thailand than usual.

With the heat of the face,head.The helmet is like an insulator it keeps heat in.If you had Airconditioning on the motorcycle,yeah right,You could have air pumped in thru A hose.But Ya can't get hot air out.At least I have never heard of it.

Your just going to be hotter in Thailand than usual.

Motorcycle airconditioning!

http://entrosys.com/

Try the SHARK Evoline 3 serious, I have the ST model, can be full face or half, the chin bar folds all the way to the back of the helmet so no wind drag great in hot weather. When stopped just flip the chin bar up...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-arona-helmet

I have the Evoline 3 Haka model................I still find the top of my head gets really hot

Try the SHARK Evoline 3 serious, I have the ST model, can be full face or half, the chin bar folds all the way to the back of the helmet so no wind drag great in hot weather. When stopped just flip the chin bar up...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-arona-helmet

I have the Evoline 3 Haka model................I still find the top of my head gets really hot

I never had that issue, but in saying that i don't do much city riding mostly open road

I recently spent some time talking to the helmet expert at Revzillas physical location in the US. Basically he told me that in general most modern helmets vent roughly the same and anything purporting to do vastly more (which many brands do, every time they come out with something new) is just marketing. In the end, a helmet will vent least when you are the hottest, and vent the best when you dont really need it. That's just the inescapable physics of the situation. You need to be moving for it vent. If you're stopping often, or going very slowly, you're just going to sweat a lot. Period. Nothing is going to stop that, unfortunately.

I thanked the guy for his time & honesty and put down the uber expensive helmet I was just about to buy and picked up the HJC he recommended.

Edited by WarProfiteer
  • Like 1

Hell I solved that issue years ago I bought good helmet installed a good cooler on top Before going for ride fill with beer and Ice added two vents to force air through to helmet works great but gets a tad cold lost both ears to frostbite. Upside beer was cold.whistling.gif

I recently spent some time talking to the helmet expert at Revzillas physical location in the US. Basically he told me that in general most modern helmets vent roughly the same and anything purporting to do vastly more (which many brands do, every time they come out with something new) is just marketing. In the end, a helmet will vent least when you are the hottest, and vent the best when you dont really need it. That's just the inescapable physics of the situation. You need to be moving for it vent. If you're stopping often, or going very slowly, you're just going to sweat a lot. Period. Nothing is going to stop that, unfortunately.

I thanked the guy for his time & honesty and put down the uber expensive helmet I was just about to buy and picked up the HJC he recommended.

It is not that easy. And it cannot explain the price difference between helmets.

expensive helmets basically protect you better bc they use better materials and let you feel comfier.

It is not that easy. And it cannot explain the price difference between helmets.

expensive helmets basically protect you better bc they use better materials and let you feel comfier.

And to a certain extent you pay for the name!

as to helmet safety some years ago there was an independant test done (published in MCN) on the "named" helmets , yes the "bl**dy expensive ones and some of the cheaper helmets, and they performed just as well and some cases even better, so its a big hype to spend 100's £1// thousands of baht, just for a name.

Edited by mercman24

And to a certain extent you pay for the name!

no, you pay for a company that paying a lot of for R&D with top notch facilities and going through Moto GP and creating latest tech on both safety and comfort with the best materials that you can use for an helmet.

Or they offer better vision, visor or ventilation.

Moreover, what about the durability? I see cheap HJC's or AGV's dissolving within a couple of years.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

^ Unfortunately when companies pay top riders such as Marquez and Lorenzo vast sums of money they have to recoup that outlay, and they recoup it in the cost of their helmets. Which is why a helmet that is twice the price is not necessarily twice as good.

Nothing wrong with buying a Shoei etc, I have one at home and it's a nice helmet but I haven't found it be any better in any way than my Shark Speed-R which is 8000 baht cheaper.

• Like 1

what utter tosh, re: helmets dissolving, hjc and agv on what do you base this please, as to HJC i think Lorernzo uses HJC, just buy a decent amulet, get a priest to bless it and when you head hits the tarmac at 60 mph, you will not get a scratch believe me. (nah !! us falangs know different, buy a helmet),

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjhw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gopixpic.com%2F600%2Fshark-evoline-series-2-st-wayer-white%2Fhttp%3A%257C%257Cwww*sportsbikeshop*co*uk%257Cproduct_images%257Cshark_evoline_wayer_white_was_front-left-open*jpg%2F&ei=pzJ8VLrbCMmjugTL_oHYCQ&bvm=bv.80642063,d.c2E&psig=AFQjCNEY-wrL0bBbfrh_kWcdp7JLKv5jqA&ust=1417511892183918

don't know if this link works right??, but check the shark evoline helmets, they have the best of both..closed helmet, with full front able to open

Edited by myluckythai

I use a Givi Air 2 from Italy. It has great airflow while moving and really, nothing is going to work when your are stopped. It's not full face but they do make one.

Whatever you use, make sure its a quality helmet to good international safety standards. Much cheaper to buy quality helmets outside of Thailand, if that's an option.

I had an accident two years ago and my Neurologist felt certain that had I been wearing a helmet of lesser quality, my outcome would have been very different.

The biscuit tins that many use here in Thailand are just not up to it.

• Like 1

Buying a new helmet can be difficult. Finding the right helmet even more so. A good internet site to compare brands and prices is www.compacc.com. They are located in Rock Hill, S.Carolina. They have dozens of brands available with customer reviews and I found the best service and price.($150 less than dealer) I purchased my current helmet from them, a HTC Rpha-Max modular. It had all the fixtures, I wanted in a helmet. Highly rated impact protection, low noise at highway speeds, good ventilation, very little wind buffering, light weight, internal flip down sun-visor, modular design and removable liner and padding for cleaning. My previous helmet was a Bell Revolver, nice helmet but very noisy. Had to wear earplugs with it. Prior to making my final decision, I went to my m/c dealer showroom and tried on several different helmets that I liked. Comparing how easy it was putting on and taking off, the fit, clarity of face-shield, and peripheral vision. My choice of a modular helmet over an open-face or shorty was a no-brainer: <protection>. Modular over full face: I wear glasses and it is easier putting on and taking off. Ability to raise, to allow extra air flow in slow or stopped traffic and to be able to have quick drink or snack without removing helmet. My advice is before you buy, do some internet research, then go to a retail store to see what you like, try them on for correct size and fit. Then buy the one you like best. My ride in the US is a 2011 Suzuki GSX 1250FA sport-touring. Wish I could bring it to Thailand.

^ Unfortunately when companies pay top riders such as Marquez and Lorenzo vast sums of money they have to recoup that outlay, and they recoup it in the cost of their helmets. Which is why a helmet that is twice the price is not necessarily twice as good.

Nothing wrong with buying a Shoei etc, I have one at home and it's a nice helmet but I haven't found it be any better in any way than my Shark Speed-R which is 8000 baht cheaper.

jonny, the reason for them is not only forking out money for being sponsor but also doing valuable r&d on the track with top racers on fastest bikes.

so you say shark cannot pay what shoei pay for honda team or marquez?

maybe shark speed helmet fit your head better but dont assume same safety levels with a shoei in an accident.

Edited by ll2

jonny, the reason for them is not only forking out money for being sponsor but also doing valuable r&d on the track with top racers on fastest bikes.

so you say shark cannot pay what shoei pay for honda team or marquez?

maybe shark speed helmet fit your head better but dont assume same safety levels with a shoei in an accident.

Are you suggesting that Shark doesn't have the same safety levels as a Shoei? Possibly 20 years ago. Please do some research. Shark helmets score better than some Arai and Shoei helmets on the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme.(SHARP) eg All Shark helmets are at least 4 stars out of 5 stars eg Shark Evoline 3 (mentioned above) has 5 stars whereas a few Shoei eg Shoei Gt Air - 3 stars and Arai eg. Arai RX7 - 3 stars and Arai Condor only 2 stars.

If Shark helmets were in anyway inferior I seriously doubt many GP riders, the current world superbike champion and legends such as Carl Fogarty the most successful World Superbike racer of all time, would wear them.

Arai and Shoei make superb helmets no doubt, but I have to agree that a large chunk of the price is simply because of the brand name on the helmet. Some much better deals out there if you do a bit of research.

Just speaking from personal experience. The Shark is just as light, equal fit and finish and a comparable safety rating. I find it more comfortable as well but I would concede that is a personal thing probably due to head shape as you suggest. If I could buy either helmet again, even with both at the same price - I would buy the Shark.

I just think it's misleading to suggest that the most expensive is always the best. Other factors like sponsorship, advertising, designs etc can push the price of certain brands up, not only the quality of the end product.

Agreed about price etc & it was the

Same thing I found with Scorpion EXO R2000 I imported from USA

Now here is a helmet that no less than 17 MotoGP riders are currently wearing

so testing etc has been done & it shows yet price is quite good.

I have tried Shoei & Arai but none fit as well nor had the features the Scorpion does.

Have heard nothing but good about Shark too

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I purchased a Shoei Neotec in Canada prior to coming to Thailand because I thought It would be nice to use the modular features when stuck in traffic etc. I find myself not using them. What I like about the neotec is the internal sun visor. I find myself driving alot with the outer shied open. The helmet also vents alot with shield closed. I regret buying the modular a bit, I find it is more of a pain to open to take off and on. I was worried about finding bigger sizes in Thailand, which as it turns out have far more options then in my home town. I am currently looking at a different helmet for maybe some track days and more protection in event of a crash vs modular designs which Is basically the same as a open faced helmet. I am looking at getting an Arai Rx-7 possibly and find the local prices in Pattaya on par with Revzilla online.