Lopburi: Annual festival honours descendants of monkey god

webfact

Annual festival honours descendants of monkey god
The Nation

30248906-01_big.jpg

LOPBURI: -- The annual Monkey Festival held at the Pra Prang Sam Yot Buddhist temple in Lop Buri has become a major tourist attraction.

The owner of the Lopburi Inn Hotel, Yongyuth Kitwatananusont, began the festival in 1989 to show appreciation to the town's crab-eating macaques for bringing good luck to businesses.

Each year, on the last weekend of November, an elaborate feast is prepared for the thousands of crab-eating macaques that call the central province home.

Varieties of fruits and vegetables such as watermelon, grapes, peanuts, corn and cucumbers are served at the feast, along with cakes and boiled eggs.

Residents believe honouring the macaques with a feast will bring good fortune. Many believe the monkeys are descendants of the Hindu god Hanuman.

More than 3,000 macaques now reside in or within near reach of the temple, and flock to the festival in their honour.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Annual-festival-honours-descendants-of-monkey-god-30248906.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-01

God defined "A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions"

I didn't know it was possible for a monkey to create a universe, hey but that's me.

God defined "A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions"

I didn't know it was possible for a monkey to create a universe, hey but that's me.

Try to educate yourself about Hinduism so you wont appear to be such an ignoramus.

Residents believe honouring the macaques with a feast will bring good fortune.

Yet another entry for the good fortune/good luck list. My favorite is the Yu-fai. My old girlfriend's granddaughter went through that last month. Fifteen days over the fire or should I say charcoal covered with herbs and other goodies.