Tiling on top of old tiles

Robroona

Just had a bathroom refurbished, the tiler removed all the tiles, screened the walls etc before putting on the new tiles.

Now he is about to start the bigger bathroom and he suggested tiling on top of the tiles already there. They are a non smooth finish ie, not glazed and are more of a floor tile which someone put on the walls when the house was built. Tiler assures me that it is pretty easy and that all the big shops sell the special adhesive which he will use.

I got this man after recommendations about his work from elsewhere, but I have never heard of this being done in this manner before.

Anyone have any ideas before I let him proceed this way?

Not a problem.

Rip the old tiles off and you have a bigger mess; the wall could need re skimming; more unneccesary expense.

Can just add a latex into standard tile adhesive for extra bonding.

Let him proceed after you checked the adhsive he is proposing.

Not a problem.

Rip the old tiles off and you have a bigger mess; the wall could need re skimming; more unneccesary expense.

Can just add a latex into standard tile adhesive for extra bonding.

Let him proceed after you checked the adhsive he is proposing.

Thanks for that. The tiler showed me the stuff he has bought and it mentions latex on it

Not saying you can't do it or it definitely won't work, but it's not a good idea. It's not easy to bond to the old tile surface even if it is not a glossy tile. The old tiles do have a smooth surface and may have some oils built up on the surface. So the layer above the old tiles can work free and will shrink and expand and bow independently from the old tiles. This may make a hollow or grinding sound when you walk on it and crack and loosen tiles above over time. I've witnessed this happen in Thailand.

• Like 1

Not saying you can't do it or it definitely won't work, but it's not a good idea. It's not easy to bond to the old tile surface even if it is not a glossy tile. The old tiles do have a smooth surface and may have some oils built up on the surface. So the layer above the old tiles can work free and will shrink and expand and bow independently from the old tiles. This may make a hollow or grinding sound when you walk on it and crack and loosen tiles above over time. I've witnessed this happen in Thailand.

Its unlikely the OP will be walking on the wall tiles.

Its unlikely the OP will be walking on the wall tiles.

I promise not to. The floor tiles have all been removed, so that should not be a problem

• 4 weeks later...