New TV...can I mirror my laptop wirelessly?

cheeryble

Hi

bought my wife a fridge yesterday and am truly touched while we were in the shop she secretly ordered a TV a pretty good one my my standards for my birthday today and I just got the surprise. No, it wasn't on my bill and she is not spoilt!

Sony Bravia 40W600B

It's an internet TV and can have apps.

But here at her house (grandma's actually) there is no True visions or anything expensive like that.

I just told her what I want most is to mirror my Macbook and run off that as I always have plenty to watch on that.

So I just went to Create Network on the Macbook.

I saw Sony Bravia and clicked.

It then asked me for a WPA2 password.

I don't see one with the TV.

What to do?

The other thing that occurs to me:

Can i network with the TV to get my larger screen but also get my normal wifi from the router so I can run Youtube vids etc?

Thanks so much!

Already had a BIT of success missus got something on the screen that said Pair with Youtube and gave a code

when Iw net to the suggested site Youtube/pair and put in the code I could then open a vid on Youtube on my own screen and that Youtube vid started up on the TV.

BUT it wasn't mirroring when I stopped it on the macbook it kept running on the TV.

Well that's nice but frankly I need mirroring.

We tried the password wife told man to connect to the router but it was rejected to connect to TV.

I also notice when we went to Pair Device again it gave a different code.....pretty fancy.

Edited by cheeryble

I have a Samsung and tried mirroring it to my imac but it wouldn't have it. I think it is the difference of the two operating systems ( Android and IOS )

Well NE1, I'm pretty sure you CAN mirror....using an HDMI cable.....but it's a question if if one can network.

There may be some conflict with different systems but the network part might be designed not to conflict.

Dunno.

Just to clarify, you can't connect the TV to your Wifi?

Because if that is the case, then ChromeCast is the best solution - it does the connection for you.

You can then mirror Youtube or anything else, in full screen (providing you download the Chrome Extension called ChromeCast Beta, which has it tucked away in settings).

You can also download an extension called Videostream that allows you to play your own music or videos directly to the TV.

I still reckon it's the best $30 I've spent in a long time considering what it does.

Because if that is the case, then ChromeCast is the best solution - it does the connection for you.

You can then mirror Youtube or anything else, in full screen (providing you download the Chrome Extension called ChromeCast Beta, which has it tucked away in settings).

You can also download an extension called Videostream that allows you to play your own music or videos directly to the TV.

I still reckon it's the best $30 I've spent in a long time considering what it does.

So it's a sort of Apple TV really but cheaper?

I brought my HDMI cable from CM tonight so will try that out in a minute, but I'd probably buy a Chromecast.

Only question is.....can the hookup be done for free?

(whoops......doesn't ship to Thailand and is 2000 baht here)

I brought my HDMI cable from CM tonight so will try that out in a minute, but I'd probably buy a Chromecast.

That's still a reasonable price.

It's a Dongle that plugs into a spare HDMI slot, and powers from either a USB if your TV has one (I assume it does), but comes with a mains adaptor.

You plug it in, run an app to connect it, and run Chrome extensions to run it.

You can also cast from your Android mobile phone if you have one.

The Chromecast can't do what the AppleTV can do - but it might do for your purposes. It can cast the content of a Google Chrome tab, or cast the content of the entire screen, but the latter can be shaky if you're rocking a retina display resolution. Also, it does nothing as a standalone device.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chromecast can't do what the AppleTV can do - but it might do for your purposes. It can cast the content of a Google Chrome tab, or cast the content of the entire screen, but the latter can be shaky if you're rocking a retina display resolution. Also, it does nothing as a standalone device.

Retina display? Very exagerated

LOL, we're talking about a Macbook here, which has a viewing distance of a couple of feet, and 'retina' resolutions of 2880x1800. Mirroring that resolution wirelessly requires some bandwidth.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, we're talking about a Macbook here, which has a viewing distance of a couple of feet, and 'retina' resolutions of 2880x1800. Mirroring that resolution wirelessly requires some bandwidth.

I'm finding Chromecast to be very "laggy" even with a PC whose display resolution is only 1366 X 768. I gave up on it in favor of running a HDMI cable from PC to TV.

I have the 48 inch version of that same tv and haven't tried to mirror it yet but will give it a go.

Actually it showed my TV in my wireless network selection box. I clicked connect but it asked for a password which I don't have / remember but the mrs does who is not here.

Edited by bkkjames