Chiang Mai / Doi Saket water sources / quality

banter68

I understand that Chiang Mai city water is treated Ping river water, and may be OK to drink--certainly OK to filter then drink.

I also have read that some outlying villages, especially to the east and south of CM, use well water with unsafe levels of fluorides--which can have bad effects on teeth, bones, etc., especially for children.

Does anyone have good info on all this, and in particular, does anyone know where Doi Saket's water comes from? I am interested in staying in a moo ban just south of Doi Saket, which apparently has Doi Saket "municipal water." Some locals suggest that it is well water, but I have also heard that it comes from a local reservoir, which suggests that the source is (treated?) surface water.

It's almost certain to be surface water regardless of its supplier, and frequently hard. Ask around the mooban and you will find out. Or grab a sample and have it analyzed at a lab. I drilled a 70m bore a few km south of Wieng Doi mooban and the water is nice and soft but I personally wouldn't drink any water here that hasn't been made by distillation or RO.

edit - note that shallow wells are providing surface water.

Edited by cloudhopper

It's almost certain to be surface water regardless of its supplier, and frequently hard. Ask around the mooban and you will find out. Or grab a sample and have it analyzed at a lab. I drilled a 70m bore a few km south of Wieng Doi mooban and the water is nice and soft but I personally wouldn't drink any water here that hasn't been made by distillation or RO.

edit - note that shallow wells are providing surface water.

Thanks. I've gotten conflicting info in the moo ban (also my Thai is v. poor) and I'd like to avoid having to test the water in a lab--or at least know something about the source first so I know better what to test for. The issue for me is not whether to drink, but whether to cook with it, let our kids bathe/swim in it, etc.

Do you know the source of the water supply to local houses in Wieng Doi?

See also: http://www.academia.edu/5052829/Vulnerability_to_Fluoride_Toxicosis_in_Chiang_Mai_Thailand

The water supply in nearly all modern CM moobans is Town Water, or surface water.

Regardless, a proper sediment filter on main line into tank/house is recommended. For drinking/cooking, install a 3 or 4 stage above/below sink unit.

The water supply in nearly all modern CM moobans is Town Water, or surface water.

Regardless, a proper sediment filter on main line into tank/house is recommended. For drinking/cooking, install a 3 or 4 stage above/below sink unit.

What is a "modern CM moo ban"? Please describe. Thanks.

Wiang Doi

Water is great

Internet is a nightmare

Thai wives will apply pressure on yours to scam/extort you

It's not a good place to live, if you are a foreigner with a Thai gf/wife.

Water comes from the big reservoir, up the 108 a bit further and turn left.

Some nice eating places around the reservoir. Nice resort with swimming pool too, 30bht to swim.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Thanks all.

Does anyone have SPECIFIC info on Doi Saket tap water sources/quality?

Try the provincial water authority at their office, it is located on the super highway next to Tesco , they should be able to tell you wether you are fed directly from the town mains or via a borehole and treated locally if at all it is treated. Who do you pay your water bill to, take that with as well.

Wiang Doi

Water is great

Internet is a nightmare

Some nice eating places around the reservoir. Nice resort with swimming pool too, 30bht to swim.

You mean Mae Kuang reservoir? That would be good news. Thanks.

Wiang Doi

Water is great

Internet is a nightmare

You mean Mae Kuang reservoir? That would be good news. Thanks.

Yep, and Wang Tarn resort

http://www.wangtarnresort.com/activities.html

Mooban means village or housing estate. A modern CM mooban such as those bulit by Land&House/Urbana all have town water supply. Old moobans may rely on bore water.

So village and housing estate are the same, thanks.

What about the 15-20 year old Land & House developments like the one on the road to Mae Joe. Is that a "modern" one with town water?

Mooban means village or housing estate. A modern CM mooban such as those bulit by Land&House/Urbana all have town water supply. Old moobans may rely on bore water.

So village and housing estate are the same, thanks.

What about the 15-20 year old Land & House developments like the one on the road to Mae Joe. Is that a "modern" one with town water?

Watch out for L&H estates, they tend to flood and are poor quality around CM.