Going to have a problem doing bank transfers from Australia cannot receive SMS

Has anyone come across this issue? I was doing a bank transfer this morning and I have to receive a security SMS before my bank

will approve the transfer. Unfortunately I set up a vodafone account before I came here (The bank wont send an SMS to an international number) as Vodafone told me they had coverage in Thailand. I chose vodafone because they have a 365 day sim which means you don't have to pay every month irrespective of whether you make a call or not. The Vodafone one you can add say $20 credit....and you can just top up as required. The costs of calls, SMS etc are exhorbetent but my plan was to use it only to receive bank SMS ( free).

Would have worked out great if they actually had coverage here! I am in Chaiyaphum province out of town but has no coverage in town either. Now I don't know what I can do?

Anyone come across this issue or is there a way around it? The bank refuse to send security SMS to anything but an Australian number and wont send emails etc instead.

First of all you need to check with Vodafone who is their "Thai partner" and that at least will give you an idea of which service here in Thailand you will have to be able to obtain a signal from (DTAC, TRUE, or AIS),

Secondly do you have " international roaming" enabled for your Vodafone account ?

If I need to obtain a One Time Password from my Thai Bank to make a transfer when I am in the US I have roaming enabled with DTAC which uses AT&T as their partner. Sometimes I must travel to a nearby town where I can get an AT&T signal to receive the OTP via DTAC. So knowing who the roaming partner is will assist you in determining what is wrong

You don't state whether or not you use a separate phone to receive the SMS from Vodafone or if you just change SIM cards when you need to. The latter method sometimes does not work because you may not be able to "register" the SIM on a foreign network because the MIE number doesn't match the Vodafone account

I have sent vodafone an email. Probably get a reply in a couple of days. When you say roaming enabled isn't roaming about receiving data & mms messages? not phone calls and SMS. On my Iphone 5 it doesn't even ask if you want call roaming or not, only international data roaming. Unless I have to set up telephone roaming on the my Vodafone website? It is a package specifically designed for O/S that I am on too.

I do travel the world a bit and normally with Telstra and never a problem.

No roaming is set by your carrier. You may have a setting on your phone showing that it is enabled but your phone does not control roaming

You post seems to indicate that you are using the same phone for local and roaming but you can only do that by switching SIM's or by having a dual SIM phone, which I don't know if the iPhone has or not

First of all you need to check with Vodafone who is their "Thai partner" and that at least will give you an idea of which service here in Thailand you will have to be able to obtain a signal from (DTAC, TRUE, or AIS),

you dont really need to check, just select them all in turn as the provider, if it can connect it will. usually too your phone can figure this out itself without your intervention.

some providers do need you to tell them to enable international roaming which is not necessarily international data roaming (eg dtac requires notification here for when you use your thai sim in other countries, and they also forget that you have told them after a while, ais is auto) not all providers have the necessary international agreements in the place you may want to go to. to receive ordinary sms international data roaming isnt necessary but ordinary international roaming must be available, this will show as your phone being able to connect to a local provider when you use you own countries sim

try a different bank if you still have issues. as some banks will send to overseas numbers, not just to their own country's numbers.

Edited by ZugZugWangWang

I use Vodafone and transfer from OZ via Westpac and not have a problem. You do need to have data roaming on whilst in Thailand. I only put the Vodafone sim in to do the transfer then remove it. Also when you do your transfer send and receive in AUD for a better exchange rate.

You can also get on to the Vodafone web site to do a lot of the setting for your account.

My oz Vodafone sim connects to dtac and I have no problems receiving oz sms' s on it. My Vodafone account is post paid global roaming.

Kenny get yourself a samsung duos. You can have 2 sims running at the same time.

I only have 1 iphone with one sim and I don't make or want to make local calls. Only set it up to receive

SMS from back home (free). I did get onto My Vodafone and set the account to international roaming (it was off)

and still no joy. Said can take up to 15 min but I did it 2 hours ago and have rebooted the phone

Westpac bank send sms to overseas phone numbers, not sure what bank your dealing with. I have an account with U Bank, they refuse to send to overseas number. For the U Bank account, I just use a family members phone number back in Australia. When they get the sms code they just forward onto me.

2 solutions I use:

1) Choose a bank that only requires the SMS/OTP to set up a beneficiary and not every time you transfer, eg Stan Chart Thai. Then set up all your likely beneficiaries will still in Thailand. Once set up you can be anywhere in the world to make the actual transfer

2) For banks like TMB, BBL etc which require a SMS/OTP any time you do a transfer, buy yourself a Thai prepaid DTAC SIM card. costs 50 baht. Register it as your phone number with the bank. When you're overseas just put it in your phone. If you have a DUOS put it in the second SIM slot set to no data roaming to avoid possible internet costs if you happen to be set up for them. If not just turn off data roaming, switch the SIM card, do your business as usual receive the SMS then switch back. My DTAC prepaid SIM receives SMS for free overseas. Should you wish to add money to it you can do online via DTAC refill with either a credit card, or some banks will let you top up from their internet banking. Also register your SIM card on DTACs website while still in Thailand, so you can log in and do various things with it.

Have things in place before you leave Thailand

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were asking about Thai banks. Same principles apply anywhere though.

As your bank seem old fashioned, ask if they will accept instructions by fax. You may then be able to complete a "fax indemnity form", authorising them to accept instructions from you by fax. I have this for a bank in Singapore. They email me any forms and I can fax back instructions. Or for things like SWIFT transfers you take take blank hard copy forms for anything you may need and fax instructions to them.

All you need to do then is find a fax machine :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

Well I thought I did have things in place before I left Australia as far as the phone / sms was concerned. It appears my Australian phone company is partnered with DTAC and get very poor reception where I am. I think if I drive into town maybe better. The point I was trying to make is the bank was standing on its digs insisting I receive an sms code to make a transfer....yet they were happy to change my telephone number on the system and send the code to my new Thai number based on my say so. I hadn't identified myself on the phone or gave them my phone banking password or anything. How did they know it was me?

vodafone partners with DTAC in Thailand, I've been having issues with receiving calls and spent a couple of hours yesterday on to vodafone customer care with no success, I can call Australia, send and receive text messages and data is working fine. They tell me I will have to call back Monday to speak to technical experts.

Anyone else have this problem