Thai Appeals Court upholds death sentence for dancing gunman

webfact

Appeals Court upholds death sentence for dancing gunman

12-3-2014-10-53-27-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHONBURI: -- The Chonburi Appeal Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of the Chonburi first court for a cold-blooded gunman, who shot his girlfriend and her mother to death and then walked out of the scene in dancing manner.

The murder took place at car accessory shop in Chonburi province in August last year.

The shooting was captured by the shop’s CCTV camera.

The video footage showed Mr Yossaphon Hae-kla pulled out a gun and shot at his girlfriend and her mother sitting on a sofa.

His girlfriend died on the spot while her mother ran out of the shop but fainted in front of the door.

Yossaphon followed her outside and shot her several times to death.

He then walked and danced out of the scene as if nothing happened.

Early this year, the Chonburi first court him to death for shooting the two women cold-bloodedly.

It also sentenced him six months in jail for carrying a gun without permission and ordered him to pay 2.61 million baht compensation to the victims’ relatives. I

In hearing his appeal, the Chonburi Appeal Court confirmed the first court’s death sentence, reasoning that the gunman shot at both of them with intents to kill.

Besides, he was fully conscious when carrying out the murders in a cold-blooded manner. The gunman also escaped, prompting the arrest warrant to be issued against him, the court said.

His behavior after the shooting was also considered an insult to the law, it said.

The appeal court also upheld the compensation order against him. It, however, halved the jail sentence for Mr Yossaphon for 3 months due to his confession.

The gunman did not appear to hear the sentence today as he was detained at Bang Kwang Prison in Nonthaburi province.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/appeals-court-upholds-death-sentence-dancing-gunman

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-04

The death penalty in Thailand was almost unheard of I until a few years ago.

Executions carried out by Thailand.

2007 0

2008 0

2009 2

2010 0

2011 0

2012 0

2013 0

2014 0

These are the judicial executions. I imagine extrajudicial executions would dwarf these figures.

w00t.gif

• Like 1

That's great, don't hear the outcome of these too often. BTW, how many more appeals is he entitled too? Also, is he out on bail yet?

The gunman did not appear to hear the sentence today as he was detained at Bang Kwang Prison in Nonthaburi province.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The 6 months for carrying a gun will really give him sleepless nights.

No! They halved it to 3 months. So now he will sleep better.

Wonder what happens if he doesn't pay the compensation to the relatives? More jail time?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was reduced to three months because he confessed.

Maybe he will only get half a death sentence?

Hum! Half a Death Sentence! Now that would be interesting!

I suppose that would mean Life in prison as nobody would ever be able to figure out how to carry out the sentence.

'His behavior after the shooting was also considered an insult to the law, it said.'

So if your loony tunes you should also respect the law after you shoot someone? What is the behaviour so not to insult the law?

'The appeal court also upheld the compensation order against him. It, however, halved the jail sentence for Mr Yossaphon for 3 months due to his confession.'

Does the 3 month reduction change anything?

and how will he pay the restitution, by the speed of the trial and the severity of the punishment I am going to guess he does not have money and does not come from a family with money

You probably guess wrong, he owns a very successful business.

and how will he pay the restitution, by the speed of the trial and the severity of the punishment I am going to guess he does not have money and does not come from a family with money

The worst crime in Thailand is to be poor!!

And meanwhile the Red Bull kid is sniffing his cocaine in Singapore!!

With just two people put to death under the death penalty in the past 8 years, not sure if this means much. But, at least if he is locked up for life, and becomes the girlfriend of a gang leader in prison, that will be a bit of justice for the family he executed in cold blood. He gave up his right to breathe oxygen, when he pulled that trigger, so if he gets fried, great. If not, a life in prison would suffice.

No! They halved it to 3 months. So now he will sleep better.

Wonder what happens if he doesn't pay the compensation to the relatives? More jail time?

What difference will it make to him to get more jail time if he is already on the death row ! Will he get extension of stay?

Really surprised he is not out on bail.

Most cases i have red on TV where Thais kill foreigners get bailed out, why is that?

Last case was 3 teenagers on Koh Samui who killed a German.

Am I wrong? Thai kill Thai, no bail. Thai kill foreigner bail granted bah.gif

Edited by bander
  • Like 1