Mitsubishi Aircon Problem

lj cm

I bought a new Mitsubishi Aircon (MS-GK13VA) a month ago. It worked fine, except sometimes, I could hear water drops inside the Aircon. Very irritating!.

The Aircon Guy's tried to repair it 3 times, but then gave up and installed a new (same model) Aircon. It has the same problem.

Has anyone ever had the same type of problem; and was it fixed.

I can probably get it changed again; but then I want a different brand and then the question is: what brand?.

I like to hear from someone, who have had a new Aircon installed within the last year, because you can apparently not trust the "good old brands".

Sounds like you are getting a sincere service effort. Where did you buy it?

The only problem is that you hear water drops in it, sometimes? Can you hear them when the fan is running?

Edited by Dante99

Sounds like you are getting a sincere service effort. Where did you buy it?

The only problem is that you hear water drops in it, sometimes? Can you hear them when the fan is running?

We have used the same Aircon guy all the 14 years, we have lived in Chiang Mai. He used to work for a company, but a couple of years ago, he made his own called 'CP Air'. He have installed all our Aircons and come and clean them 2 times a year. I will consider him as a professional.

After testing, I found out, that the water drops happen, when the compressor starts (and running) and the fan is on minimum. If I turn the fan to medium, no problem.

Maybe you have a relatively simple problem that the AC man missed or misunderstood.

Probably when the fan is on medium, it is louder than the noise of the water drops. AC units produce water (pretty much continuously) which is drained off so just maybe the noise is coming from the water dripping out of the drain pipe. Have you checked, it is usually a blue water pipe that comes out of the interior mounted unit, down the outside of the wall and ends above ground lever. It may be dripping on something that makes a noise instead of onto the dirt.

In rare cases the drain pipe is plumbed into the house drain but it would also be dripping water into that drain which could be noisy.

Assuming of course that a drain was properly installed and that water is not really leaking inside the AC unit.

Edit Dellboy posted while I was writing. He has the technical end down better than I do.

Edited by Dante99

After testing, I found out, that the water drops happen, when the compressor starts (and running) and the fan is on minimum. If I turn the fan to medium, no problem.

I have the exact same issue with a Daikin. It lasts only for about maybe 30 seconds then disappear to return some time later, but no leaking.

Now that you say, the "dripping" only started about 6 months ago after I changed to have the fan always at night setting.

Just a thought, with low air flow it is possible that the condensation drain path or part of it is icing up, hence when you increase air flow you do not have a problem.

That's what I'm thinking. The Aircon setting is on "automatic"; so when I turn it on, the fan is running full speed until my 25 degrees is reached. Then the fan turns to slow. When the temperature increases, the compressor turns on, but the fan stays at low. If the fan would just go to medium, until the 25 degrees was reached again, it would be fine.

I had before the icing problem with the Aircon in my car. Compressor on and fan low speed = icing.

I have the exact same issue with a Daikin. It lasts only for about maybe 30 seconds then disappear to return some time later, but no leaking.

Now that you say, the "dripping" only started about 6 months ago after I changed to have the fan always at night setting.

Exactly the same. 10-12 drops in about 30 seconds / one minute, no leaking, returns later.

Where is the water dripping from and to?

It doesnt sound like you even have a problem. Check that your drain is not blocked or kinked.

Also check that your indoor coil Is not turning into an iceblock when on cooling (low fan too). This is the first sign the system has a gas leak.

Edited by catmaninoz

Where is the water dripping from and to?

It doesnt sound like you even have a problem. Check that your drain is not blocked or kinked.

Also check that your indoor coil Is not turning into an iceblock when on cooling (low fan too). This is the first sign the system has a gas leak.

The water dripping is inside the Aircon. I can not hear, if it's on the left, middle or right side.

The drain is not blocked and I don't think there is a gas leak, because it cools very good. But that might change.

One day, when I feel like it, I will open it up at check, if I can locate the problem.

The main reason I wrote the post, was that there might be other people, that recently bought the same model and have the same problem.

It could be an assembly fault with a batch of Aircons from the factory. I'm sure Mitsubishi (or any other brand) would not do a recall of "slightly faulty" Aircons!?

If it's installed in an office or living room, you would probably not notice the water dripping; but in a quiet bedroom, you will.

I have two Mr Slims , had them twp years never the first problem , very happy with them . Both inverted models , cost a bit more but worth the extra money I think .

That's just what I needed to hear. Just joking; but I was sooo close to choose the inverter model. Maybe I can do a deal with my Aircon guy to "upgrade".

The inverter model also looks better.

Edited by lj cm

Exactly the same. 10-12 drops in about 30 seconds / one minute, no leaking, returns later.

I think that should answer your question. The dripping happens because of icing and can be solved by changing to a slightly higher fan speed setting.

With me it only started when I changed to the lowest fan speed setting.

I don't feel the need to solve my issue since I only hear it when I wake up, and at that point I close the aircon or get up.

Edit : I have inverter type aircons, so that doesn't make the difference

Edited by Anthony5

This dripping is normal. If you want to stop it you will have to remove the cover to expose the coil. Make sure all power supply is isolated first.

Then get some kind of strong adhesive foam tape and attach it to the coil ends, the exposed copper curves, and also any other spots you think the dripping might occur.

Just create a path for the water to fall.

If you are safe enough, you can run the system without the main cover piece on to spot any drips. The lower air resistance may change where the drips or if any occur.

Just guess and look for low points or splash stains. Use something made of rubber to close the gap and stop the drip.

Problem solved!

If I change the 'Vane' setting, so it moves up and down, there is no more water dropping.

Strange but true. It must be something about the airflow varies.

I like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.

my thoughts.....it's a lot drier now..so instead of there being a constant stream, there is just a water torture drip....which is likely making the noise as it hits the dry condensation pan. Mosquitoes will clog the condensate line, and if the line doesn't have enough of a downward slope, it won't drain properly. It never ever should be leaking inside the house. A clogged line can be fixed by putting your mouth on it and blowing just a little, then you will get a big gush of liquid and dead bugs. Otherwise, a thin wire to ream it is good, just don't stick it in farther than needed to reach the clog. Sometimes the pans aren't aligned properly, or they are rusted out.