Family of Brits murdered in Thailand say evidence convincing

Lite Beer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Two Men Charged With the Thai Backpacker Murders Face a Dubious Trial

The two Burmese migrant workers accused of killing a pair of British backpackers on an idyllic Thai beach appearedin court to be formality indicted Thursday. But there are growing fears that any trial will be a sh

http://time.com/3617617/thailand-koh-tao-murder-david-miller-hannah-witheridge-indictment/

Scotland Yard only spent 2 hours in Koh Tao? The forces might have well just texted each other then.

According to Felicity Gerry QC, a prominent British defense lawyer specializing in high-profile sexual-assault cases, “Not to have any access until the day of trial can’t possibly be fair.”

In many other jurisdictions, including the U.S. and U.K., as soon as charges are brought the defense has access to all evidence, including witness statements, physical exhibits and expert testimony. This allows lawyers to take instructions from their clients and call their own experts to refute any testimony relied upon by the prosecution.

“Sometimes the analysis takes time,” says Gerry, citing the checking of telephone records or the disputing of forensic conclusions. “My concern would be it’s all far too rushed and unfair to the defense.”

The arrival of British police observers has not helped. A team from the U.K., including a senior homicide detective and crime scene analyst, was dispatched to Thailand early last month in order to assist in the investigation. However, they spent only two hours on Koh Tao after arriving by helicopter and did not meet with either the accused or their legal team. Their findings have still not been released.

“You’d expect the Thai police to welcome the additional assistance,” says Gerry. “My suspicion is that [the British police have] been limited regarding what they’ve been allowed to do.”

Do the B2 know the evidence against them? Would the defence know the evidence? Maybe someone here with a knowledge of law could enlighten me.

No discover laws in Thailand to the extent of the US. So neither do the defense or prosecutors have to share all their evidence before trial. Defense will get witness list and basic list of evidence to be presented -- the details and rest will come out during the trial. Much of trials in Thailand are handled by filings and not oral arguments. There will be a number of judges judging the case and not a public jury.

These B2 have pleaded not guilty time for you to stop accusing them .

By definition they are "the accused" and I simply believe they are the right people to be arrested and stand trial for this horrible crime. I also think they are likely guilty (why they were arrested and standing trial) but look forward to a trial but have a feeling they are going to end up changing their plea to guilty once the evidence starts rolling out and realize all the social media conspiracy folks can't help them especially now that the parents have come out with statements and further UK information to follow ... doubt there will be many except for tabloid style news sources continuing to promote baseless cover-up theories in the near future.

Dislike. (Catsanddogs). Can't get my comment out of JTJ's box!

Edited by catsanddogs

People often say why didn't the Burmese run is they knew they were going to be found guilty.

Well if they had of run, there are another 3000 Burmese on the Island who could have been guilty. It was an easy pick.

They say that because there's other people spreading rumors and conspiracies drowning out the actual facts.

One of the Burmese was arrested when he fled from Koh Tao to Surat Thani.

Perhaps you should refrain from making things up as the victim's families have asked? Because obviously you are ignorant of the facts surrounding the case.

The two Burmese migrant workers accused of killing a pair of British backpackers on an idyllic Thai beach appearedin court to be formality indicted Thursday. But there are growing fears that any trial will be a sh

http://time.com/3617617/thailand-koh-tao-murder-david-miller-hannah-witheridge-indictment/

Scotland Yard only spent 2 hours in Koh Tao? The forces might have well just texted each other then.

The Brits arrived in Thailand on the 22nd of Oct, went to Koh Tao on the 25th of Oct and met two of their counterparts that had been on the Island since the 24th Oct, they departed Thailand on the 12th Nov

www.thaivisa.com/.../771559-british-authorities-at-koh-tao-crime-scene/

People often say why didn't the Burmese run is they knew they were going to be found guilty.

Well if they had of run, there are another 3000 Burmese on the Island who could have been guilty. It was an easy pick.

They say that because there's other people spreading rumors and conspiracies drowning out the actual facts.

Perhaps you should refrain from making things up as the victim's families have asked? Because obviously you are ignorant of the facts surrounding the case.

Isnt this believing on what you read ? I seem to recall they were all playing volleyball when then police nabbed them.

But to be honest there does seems to be 3 or 4 story's to every bit of information.

Intresting story that one... What ever became of CHO ?

Edited by berybert

The Brits arrived in Thailand on the 22nd of Oct, went to Koh Tao on the 25th of Oct and met two of their counterparts that had been on the Island since the 24th Oct, they departed Thailand on the 12th Nov

www.thaivisa.com/.../771559-british-authorities-at-koh-tao-crime-scene/

Thank you for this. Slightly more reassuring.

par·a·phrase

express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

Nowhere in the definition does it say you change the words to mean what suits your agenda.

What you are doing is called distorting the facts. It appears you find it easy to be obtuse completely uninformed or are you simply being dishonest.

Anyone being honest who have read the family statements will agree ... they are confident the two people in custody are being rightfully charged ... this is what is in question. Sorry if these facts don't support a conspiracy theory but rather support their statements which I paraphrased on this particular subject of their statement.

You are just continuing to find ways to distract from reality

The reality is you still don't understand (or are you being obtuse maybe) that you have changed what the families actually said because you assume that it is not what they meant. Paraphrasing does not allow the meaning of the original statement to be changed into what suits your warped agenda. If you were being honest you would realise that the parents statement can be interpreted many ways and yours is unlikely to be correct.

Actually it is what they made clear as even reported (paraphrased) by the BBC ...

Thai murder victim families voice 'relief' at court charges

The families of two Britons murdered in Thailand say they feel "relief" that the case is coming to court and are "confident" about the investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30359459

No person being honest with themselves regarding the statements could see any other meaning to their words.

Clearly they think the two charged should stand trial not because they want two innocent people to stand trial but because they think they are the right people to stand trial. Please please stop with this nonsense distraction.

The BBC have paraphrased the families statement correctly. They obviously understand exactly what paraphrasing means and are being honest in their report. You have not been honest or are still being obtuse in the extreme. Please stop your nonsense but don't worry nobody is being distracted from the truth by your continued apparently deliberate dishonesty.

par·a·phrase

express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

Nowhere in the definition does it say you change the words to mean what suits your agenda.

What you are doing is called distorting the facts. It appears you find it easy to be obtuse completely uninformed or are you simply being dishonest.

Anyone being honest who have read the family statements will agree ... they are confident the two people in custody are being rightfully charged ... this is what is in question. Sorry if these facts don't support a conspiracy theory but rather support their statements which I paraphrased on this particular subject of their statement.

attachicon.gifDislike.jpg

I wish there was a dislike button on here and if a post got say 10 dislikes more than likes it would automatically disappear from view.

Do the B2 know the evidence against them? Would the defence know the evidence? Maybe someone here with a knowledge of law could enlighten me.

No discover laws in Thailand to the extent of the US. So neither do the defense or prosecutors have to share all their evidence before trial. Defense will get witness list and basic list of evidence to be presented -- the details and rest will come out during the trial. Much of trials in Thailand are handled by filings and not oral arguments. There will be a number of judges judging the case and not a public jury.

These B2 have pleaded not guilty time for you to stop accusing them .

They are still the accused. If they are acquitted or the court rejects the case they will stop being the accused.

par·a·phrase

I wish there was a dislike button on here and if a post got say 10 dislikes more than likes it would automatically disappear from view.

Because you don't like dissenting opinions? Or is it freedom of speech that bothers you?

I think it is amazing that they murdered two people in cold blood & did so without any cuts/bruises. They then went to work the next day without any changes in their behaviour!!

I don't know if they had cuts or bruises, nor do I know if they worked the next day or how they acted. Hell, I don't even know if they murdered them in cold blood!

I do agree with you in that they probably did murder them.

So..........

Scotland Yard spent only two hours on Koh Tao and did not meet with either the accused or their legal team.....Wow!! Great job Sherlock, then again what else could you have done? You were only there to observe the powerful and convincing evidence of the RTP. No wonder the family statement says the evidence APPEARS to be powerful and convincing.

I say it one more time, I will never believe in a million years the B2 are guilty unless I have seen independently (non-thai) verified DNA (if that is/was still possible). Nothing can change my mind, and definitively not a million posts from JD praising the RTP.

This case stinks too high heaven! So Sherlock, to end all this show the world your DNA findings! Just say you did independently verify the DNA from the repatriated bodies against fresh B2 samples and you will publish the result in due time. The fact that you didn't even meet them says it all.........you did not check the DNA, you accepted the RTP results. The B2 deserve better and so do their families!

Please show me a post where I praised the RTP.

"Nothing can change my mind " is probably true. You have decided not only are the accused not guilty, you have also decided who is. All without a trial.

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

So..........

Scotland Yard spent only two hours on Koh Tao and did not meet with either the accused or their legal team.....Wow!! Great job Sherlock, then again what else could you have done? You were only there to observe the powerful and convincing evidence of the RTP. No wonder the family statement says the evidence APPEARS to be powerful and convincing.

I say it one more time, I will never believe in a million years the B2 are guilty unless I have seen independently (non-thai) verified DNA (if that is/was still possible). Nothing can change my mind, and definitively not a million posts from JD praising the RTP.

This case stinks too high heaven! So Sherlock, to end all this show the world your DNA findings! Just say you did independently verify the DNA from the repatriated bodies against fresh B2 samples and you will publish the result in due time. The fact that you didn't even meet them says it all.........you did not check the DNA, you accepted the RTP results. The B2 deserve better and so do their families!

"Nothing can change my mind " is probably true. You have decided not only are the accused not guilty, you have also decided who is. All without a trial.

Even if you post a million posts, you for sure will not change my mind and BTW, I've said numerous times what would change my mind: independently (non--thai) verified matching DNA evidence between the B2 and the repatriated bodies. By the way did you know I hardly read your posts? They are all the same, <deleted>

Because you don't like dissenting opinions? Or is it freedom of speech that bothers you?

Doh That would apply to all members equally so its only stupid posts that would be removed. Actually I like to read different points of view and am quite willing to change my mind or point of view when I am wrong. I am a supporter of the death penalty but have recently changed my mind for countries that do not have a fair justice system.

Ah I see it now your worried that maybe it would be many of your posts that would be removed.

Edited by uty6543

So..........

Even if you post a million posts, you for sure will not change my mind and BTW, I've said numerous times what would change my mind: independently (non--thai) verified matching DNA evidence between the B2 and the repatriated bodies. By the way did you know I hardly read your posts? They are all the same, <deleted>
I, for one, live in Thailand. I expect Thai judicial processes to be run by Thailand and not by outside agencies. Like you said "I have said numerous times"... They are all the same :) nothing can change your mind.

When there is no damning DNA mentioned in the UK coroner's inquest, you will just decide the case isn't solvable?

Edit - still waiting for one post where I praised the RTP.

Edited by jdinasia

Isnt this believing on what you read ? I seem to recall they were all playing volleyball when then police nabbed them.

But to be honest there does seems to be 3 or 4 story's to every bit of information.

Intresting story that one... What ever became of CHO ?

The reason there seems to be 3 or 4 stories to every bit of information is because people like you push things they "seem to recall" as facts and propagate them irresponsibly.

It would be trite to say that the Royal Thai Police made a pig’s ear of this case from a PR point of view. They said far too much (which seems to be the norm in Thailand). This was especially so in the early stages of the investigation when so much was unclear. Even later on they should not have been talking about confessions or DNA matches. These are matters for the court.

Add to this a local press, many of whom seem to have a motto “don’t let the facts spoil a good story”. Media can publish what it likes with no accountability. Yes, the public has a right to know, but this right should be satisfied at the trial not in the immediate aftermath of what was a very confused situation.

However, none of this means that the two Burmese are guilty, innocent or guilty with massaged facts to ensure conviction. I simply do not know; nor does any other poster in this thread. In a trial by ThaiVisa the jury does not have enough facts.

The fact that the Thai police allowed the British police to come over speaks volumes, as does the report that the Brits seem to have given to the victims’ families. Of course I do not know the caliber of the officers who came over. Certainly they will not be infallible, but equally certainly they will not be naive fools. They would have got at least a wiff of a frame and the risk of this would be too much for the Thai Police if they had a great deal to hide.

In the end it will be for the court to decide and speculation is not helpful. Indeed in some countries this would be a contempt of court.

So..........

I, for one, live in Thailand. I expect Thai judicial processes to be run by Thailand and not by outside agencies. Like you said "I have said numerous times"... They are all the same smile.png nothing can change your mind.

When there is no damning DNA mentioned in the UK coroner's inquest, you will just decide the case isn't solvable?

Edit - still waiting for one post where I praised the RTP.

Wrong, if there is damning DNA, meaning the UK coroner ran a DNA test from the repatriated bodies (if that was still possible) against fresh samples of the B2 collected by non-thai officers, I will change my mind. Is that so difficult to understand? If however the UK coroner relied on samples given to them by the RTP from the B2 and compared them with his own findings this will NOT change my mind. That will be like a Nomsod test with results already known beforehand.

Keep the praises coming!

So it is claimed and also after he dyed his hair blonde. In that case, where is this fair-headed Burmese? No photo has ever been sighted and the 2 facing trial have black hair. It's little wonder that doubts persist in the wake of the staggering ineptitude of the initial investigation and police statements

So it is claimed and also after he dyed his hair blonde. In that case, where is this fair-headed Burmese? No photo has ever been sighted and the 2 facing trial have black hair. It's little wonder that doubts persist in the wake of the staggering ineptitude of the initial investigation and police statements

In the CCTV showing the 3 together, 1 has dyed hair.

True to form the Thai Justice system springs another surprise on the up and coming case against the B2 and changes their earlier statement.

"Koh Samui court PM session suddenly changes preliminary appointment for considering Koh Tao case evidence 25th Feb to 26th Dec" https://twitter.com/atomicalandy

A fair and transparent case likely to follow? Is it really only the judges that this needs to be proved to? No, the eyes of the world are watching and will be judging this. Thats one point the prosecutors got right in their statement when they mentioned they need more evidence because the worlds media is closely following this case.

True to form the Thai Justice system springs another surprise on the up and coming case against the B2 and changes their earlier statement.

"Koh Samui court PM session suddenly changes preliminary appointment for considering Koh Tao case evidence 25th Feb to 26th Dec" https://twitter.com/atomicalandy

A fair and transparent case likely to follow? Is it really only the judges that this needs to be proved to? No, the eyes of the world are watching and will be judging this. Thats one point the prosecutors got right in their statement when they mentioned they need more evidence because the worlds media is closely following this case.

Bringing this forward so fast does not give the defence much time more signs of desperation by the prosecutors .