Pattaya Man Reportedly Shot For Chasing Tourist-Robbing Teenagers

Lite Beer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Shot in the face during chase to catch North Pattaya bag snatchers

shot-31.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Saturday a 33 year old front-seat passenger in a Baht Bus was shot in the face during a chase to prevent four men escaping with a bag which had been snatched from a Chinese Tourist in North Pattaya.

The incident began in front of the Long Beach Hotel in Soi Wongamart off the Naklua Road just before 2am. The victim, Khun Rajcharod, was riding as passenger in the cab of a Baht Bus, driven by Khun Orrachon aged 36.

The pair witnessed a bag snatch occur in front of the Hotel involving four men, who then fled on motorbikes. The Baht Bus Driver and passenger decided they should give-chase in an attempt to force the fleeing thieves to crash their bikes so they could be apprehended.

During the chase, one of the fleeing suspects produced a 9mm handgun and shot in the direction of the chasing Baht Bus. The bullet hit Khun Rajcharod in her left cheek and the chase was abruptly called-off.

At Banglamung Hospital Police began their investigation and will examine CCTV in the area in order to catch the four men who committed the bag snatch and especially the one who fired at the Baht Bus.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/158264/man-shot-in-the-face-during-chase-to-catch-north-pattaya-bag-snatchers/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2014-12-08

Count me in. +500 so theres 1,000 already in the kitty.

• Like 1

This is a big problem here, many of them carry guns

We have a saying. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns."

Which is not true. In singapore, where having an illegal gun carries the death penalty, there are no guns among the outlaws either.

And where chewing gum is not a good idea either.

The very small but highly policed city state offers what many European governments would like to see. A population that is well controlled and totally reliant on the state for protection. Can't be well controlled otherwise.

• Like 1

I say again. There should be a 7PM curfew for all Thai males who are not in gainful employment.

I'll go one further - free bus rides back to Nakhon Nowhere or the Chonburi factories for the unemployed, katoey freelancers (Laos isnt far from NN..) and at least 90% of the people who go from bar to bar flogging flowers and other useless items at exorbitant markups. Might seem harsh, but it would be interesting to see what impact if had on reported crime - my guess is that their provinces were more than happy to see them go.

Why does ANYONE want to visit Pattaya? Every day without fail there's a story of someone getting shot, robbed, stabbed, drugged , beaten by ladyboys. I've lived in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok for 4 years and haven't seen as much violence in that time that Pattaya seems to witness in the average weekend.

If this is all as seems ( and Im not casting doubt) then I would propose that we pay something back. All to often we are quick to criticise Thai behaviours but we never show any great outpouring for those folks who do act to protect and help other folks as it would appear here.

Mods, two questions

i) would it be possible through the forum to set up a donation fund for this lady to help with med costs

ii) is it possible through contacts maybe the Pattaya police to find out who the lady is and if fund can be set up, get some member here to get the money to her directly

Great PR opportunity to show the farang community paying something back but this is a secondary outcome

If there were 20 of us to chip in Baht 500 each which I will gladly do then that Baht 10K which would go along way to cover here costs and possible loss of revenue for the driver who presumably is the poor ladies partner/ husband.......

Putting this another way.. if it was you who was getting robbed and a songtaew driver just looked idly on and did nothing you would be quick to condemn their lack of action.....

Im no Johnny do gooder but with a few willing folks here and for very little cost we could make a difference to someone who tried to help others and got hurt due to this....

A good theoretical idea but why put the onus on someone else for your suggestion, why don't you organise it then give us all the details?

Whilst it is an extremely noble gesture to start a 'medical fund' for the person who was shot, it should be noted that all the drivers of sang-taews in Patt. are members of a co-operative and therefore, I would sincerely hope that said co-operative would pay all the medical costs of one of their members who was shot 'in the line of duty'!! Let's hope so!

• Like 1

Which is not true. In singapore, where having an illegal gun carries the death penalty, there are no guns among the outlaws either.

Very true. I live in Singapore, and gun crime is nearly non-existent. I'm all for gun control, but you have to remember that Singapore is a special case: small, urban population on an island with entry points that are easy to control.

I'm guessing you're an American, right?

Self-protection, do you agree most people would rather have the ability to be able to protect themselves and their familys verses that option being taken away? Some have been intimidated by propaganda into not thinking in their own best interest, Im guessing youre a European, right?

Yeah, lets all carry guns, that'll work. If people didn't carry guns it would be a damn sight easier to protect ones self. And yes I am European, thats where my reasoning comes from and not my gunho attitude!

I hope this brave driver doesnt have to pay for the hospital expenses himself. He knew that these types of crime is not good for tourism in Pattaya and tried to do something about it. I am ready to pay 100 baht to help and together we could raise enough money so he can fix his face.

As an expat living in Pattaya , I thank you Khun Racharot, for your bravery.

Edited by balo

I'm guessing you're an American, right?

American or not does'nt matters, I'm not an american and agree 100% with him.

car720, on 07 Dec 2014 - 15:37, said:

NeverSure, on 06 Dec 2014 - 23:38, said:

andygunther, on 06 Dec 2014 - 18:02, said:

Where is Charlie Bronson when you need him?

Six feet under....... rip.gif

Why does ANYONE want to visit Pattaya? Every day without fail there's a story of someone getting shot, robbed, stabbed, drugged , beaten by ladyboys. I've lived in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok for 4 years and haven't seen as much violence in that time that Pattaya seems to witness in the average weekend.

It's hourly, and we love it - feel free to stay in Bangkok and get your news from tabloid websites like Howard's. Gotta run - they've got a sale on butterfly knives and garottes at Central Festival tonight.

It is a saying but not thinking. In the US where guns are not outlawed you see thousands murdered by private guns, more than everywhere else in the world. So stop just repeating stupid sayings and start thinking.

• Like 1

It's hourly, and we love it - feel free to stay in Bangkok and get your news from tabloid websites like Howard's. Gotta run - they've got a sale on butterfly knives and garottes at Central Festival tonight.

Howard's??? What's that?

Well if you like looking over your shoulder 24/7 that's up to you. All we have to worry about in Bangkok is the police with their urine tests.

vogie

Yeah, lets all carry guns, that'll work. If people didn't carry guns it would be a damn sight easier to protect ones self. And yes I am European, thats where my reasoning comes from and not my gunho attitude!

Vogie IMO you are mistaken that it would be easier to protect one’s self. Mao killed 80 million Chinese, Stalin killed 60 million Russians and Hitler killed 7 million Jews. If the Chinese, Russians and the Jews had firearms for protection their governments would have not been able to slaughter their populations. What will you do if another manic gets in power in Europe? How will you defend yourself and your family, harsh language?

The” yeah let’s all carry guns dude” is not the how it works in America, there is no “gunho attitude” your being indoctrinated by media propaganda. It’s very safe with the average American owning firearms, as always it’s a small group of criminals and governments that use guns aggressively.

• Like 1

Howard's??? What's that?

Well if you like looking over your shoulder 24/7 that's up to you. All we have to worry about in Bangkok is the police with their urine tests.

Howard Miller, a Brit seen in Tourist Police garb on a couple of tabloid UK series about Thailand, is the man responsible for most of the content on PattayaOne, and thats the site that most of these news articles are sourced from. I doubt that his TV news program shows in Bangkok but its on FTA TV here.

Re your closing statement, I beiieve that you have grossly underestimated that amount of violent crime committed in Bangkok on any given week - it might not be reported in the Bangkok Post but turn on any Thai news broadcast out of Bangkok and you will almost certainly see a recreation of a drive-by robbery or an assault. No city of that size is going to be magically free of petty crime, but I'm inclined to wonder how much time you've spent on lower Suk between midnight and 5am - that's a nastier zoo than Pattaya IMO.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

Note this final para from the PattayaOne coverage:

Friends of the injured man were angry at Police at the high crime levels in Pattaya and lack of patrols, especially in the Soi Wongamart area, which is a known hotspot for street crime due to the high number of Hotels in the area. - See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/158264/man-shot-in-the-face-during-chase-to-catch-north-pattaya-bag-snatchers/#sthash.IuhyEU5I.dpuf

It's time for Thai people to tell their leaders that they've had a gutful of the BiB - nothing will ever change if they just keep putting up with their pay-as-you-go approach to policing. They are a disgrace.

I say again. There should be a 7PM curfew for all Thai males who are not in gainful employment.

I never understand this kind of thinking. What if they are going for an interview for a job that is at night? Going to a family member to get food or money for food. Let's say this happens, then let's impose curfew on all foreigners drunk and might have bad thoughts that can lead to illegal activities. Then make it 6 p.m. then curfew for people with less than 1 million baht in savings, or bad health, etc....

there also should be a ban on everyone coming to thailand who doesn't have their life in complete order.

so easy to throw stones..

Howard's??? What's that?

Re your closing statement, I beiieve that you have grossly underestimated that amount of violent crime committed in Bangkok on any given week - it might not be reported in the Bangkok Post but turn on any Thai news broadcast out of Bangkok and you will almost certainly see a recreation of a drive-by robbery or an assault. No city of that size is going to be magically free of petty crime, but I'm inclined to wonder how much time you've spent on lower Suk between midnight and 5am - that's a nastier zoo than Pattaya IMO.

Oh cmon, dont't rob the poor guy his last remaining pleasure in his life - putting down Pattaya!

Let him have a go at it, chances are, there isn't much else left for him to do.

So we, good, tolerant Pattaya residents should collectivly support him, and give him an opportunity for the little relief. What to us, Pattayans seems like an offhand, dumb remark about Pattaya, may mean a world to him! As most Pattaya haters, he prolly used to live here, and misses it..

So Imagine the guy reading good news about Pattaya, a brave, selfless baht bus driver standing up for a foreigner! After reading this, his day is ruined, thats for sure!

So let him vent! He prolly needs it badly!

It is a saying but not thinking. In the US where guns are not outlawed you see thousands murdered by private guns, more than everywhere else in the world. So stop just repeating stupid sayings and start thinking.

Wrong. Thailand's gun murder rate per capita is far higher than the US. It's about ten times as high. It's the 4th highest in the world. LINK

This thinking of yours is what happens when you're indoctrinated into thinking with your emotions. I would far rather be armed and able to defend myself than to have only criminals armed. Thais are dangerous. Avoid conflict at all costs.

I never understand this kind of thinking. What if they are going for an interview for a job that is at night? Going to a family member to get food or money for food. Let's say this happens, then let's impose curfew on all foreigners drunk and might have bad thoughts that can lead to illegal activities. Then make it 6 p.m. then curfew for people with less than 1 million baht in savings, or bad health, etc....

there also should be a ban on everyone coming to thailand who doesn't have their life in complete order.

so easy to throw stones..

- Even if it was the law, can you see the BiB enforcing it ? They barely leave the station at night unless it's to shake drunks down on their way back from WS.

- If this was your home country or mine, I could see your point - classic right-wing 'solution' is to limit people's freedom etc - but techically we are no longer living in a democracy so I guess he felt it was time to run it up the flagpole again

- job interview ? Are you serious ? The factory gates open at 7am, not 7pm, and convenience stores are open 24/7 - I've even seen a 'Help Wanted' ad at McDonalds here in Pattaya, all neatly laid out in English with salaries that were better than I expected. If Thailand really does have 'full employment', many of these kids are either unemployable or unwilling to turn up for the 12-hour days many Thas are forced to work.

As for banning everyone coming to Thailand who doesnt have their life in complete order, I think many here viewed the visa crackdown as precisely that and it was warmly welcomed. I guess it comes down to how you view someone who is working illegally on back-to-back Tourist visas or 30-day exemptions - Satan's spawn or just another Thailand addict who'll do anything to prolong their stay in this country.