Sat Nav

Thanks for that, but I was looking for the actual size of the complete Thailand map. As I mentioned the Rotweiler map is more than 125 MB so if the total Thailand map for the Nokia is a lot smaller that would tell me there must be less detail.

Hi Gary

About to purchase the Rotweiler maps but am not quite sure waht I will have to do: Run the maps from the sd card or device.

Got a 610 and the device is reporting G:\ at 415MB total space, 281MB used and 134MB Free. The device currently has UK/Eire maps. Do I have to copy the maps off the device onto the SD card to get the Thai maps on the device? Are the maps prefixed *.img as there is a big 180MB one sitting on the device.

Already removed images and mp3's from the device that ain't needed

Cheers

I don't know for sure about the 610 but both of my Garmins store the maps entirely on the memory cards. If the 610 is like that, I would buy a new memory card and put all of the Thailand map on the new card. Having two memory cards is a simple way to keep everything separated and if you go back to the UK, you can just swap cards. You should have a program from Garmin called Map Source. You will need that program to be able to read the Rotweiler map and then to transfer it to your 610. I think some of the newer GPS devices have a lot more memory built in and if that is the case, it is still easy to swap maps back and forth between your PC and your GPS. (The map from ESRI cannot be read or manipulated from your PC). Be careful if you try to put both maps on the same card because some devices erase (format) the memory before installing any new maps. You probably have the UK maps on disk so maybe that is not a problem. If you don't have the CD/DVD with the UK map on it be sure to use Map Source to transfer the map from the GPS to your PC before installing the new map. Rotweiler is also very good about helping you if you have any problems.

Your way points and personal points of interest ARE stored in the GPS built in memory so you won't lose them when you change the memory card. You will probably want to delete UK information and that must be done manually. Your PC can save those for you if you delete them and make it easy to get them back if needed. Good luck and let me know if you need any help. The maps are locked so you will need to furnish your GPS ID number to Rotweiler and he will give you a pass code.

The UK/Ireland maps are actually stored on the unit so don't have them on my pc or disk. Also mapsource did not come with the product, (trying to get a copy from garmin but they are not so helpful at the moment). Got mapsource working in some form using Rotweilers work around of installing the training software but cannot see the same detail as the unit supplies. Can see all the files on G:\ drive so I imagine backing up the whole of the drive to my pc means I have a copy of everything.

Anyway gonna get the Rotweiler stuff and see how I go with this training version of mapsource. My worry is that this version of mapsource does not seem to bring the full UK maps to my pc.

Thanks Again

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mapsource [b]World map 4.06[/b] if you want it? Is a 141mb. let me know how you want it? If you do that is?

Thanks so much for the offer but I think that I managed to get it going by downloading the training kit for windows off the garmin website then loading mapsource form the site and the new version seems to work. If I have any problems will definetely take up your offer. Again many thanks.

Chock Dee