Can a Thai bank account be frozen ? By a UK solicitor

Can a Thai bank account be frozen ? By a UK solicitor, The accounts are in the same name, The UK account has already been frozen over a divorce dispute in the UK with the ex husband and ex wife being both English. The divorce was 14 years ago, The normal BS ex wife discovers her ex mother inlaw has passed away and wants to claim a slice of the inheritance from the Thai account now

Unlikely that even a local lawyer could get a Thai court to issue the necessary order, since the marriage/ divorce did not take place under Thai law. Also, the basis of the claim would have to hold up to the Thai legal standard. Unless there's millions at stake, I doubt a local lawyer would even take the case.

Unlikely that even a local lawyer could get a Thai court to issue the necessary order, since the marriage/ divorce did not take place under Thai law. Also, the basis of the claim would have to hold up to the Thai legal standard. Unless there's millions at stake, I doubt a local lawyer would even take the case.

If there is a similar case going on in the UK and the UK courts have frozen bank accounts in the UK then yes a Thai lawyer could petion a Thai court to do the same based on the UK ruling to support this, were the couple was married is some what irrelevant

I don't know how it works in the UK, but in America, a bank account can not be attached or frozen without a court order to do so.

Thailand will only get involved if asked too by a foreign government. I don't know of any foreign government who would use Diplomatic leverage to enforce a personal law suit.

There seems something amiss here. Without knowing the full details. Did the deceased leave a will? If not and she died intestate then the rules of inheritance would apply. Somebody previously married to an offspring but divorced for many years wouldn't have much of a claim. Why is the ex-wife under the impression she had a claim? On what grounds have the UK bank accounts been frozen?

The UK lawyers would need to engage a Thai lawyer, who would need to obtain a court order from a Thai court. Whether that is likely would depend on why they UK courts ruled to freeze them.

I don't know how it works in the UK, but in America, a bank account can not be attached or frozen without a court order to do so.

Thailand will only get involved if asked too by a foreign government. I don't know of any foreign government who would use Diplomatic leverage to enforce a personal law suit.

Well 1 its not America under discussion and second there is no "diplomatic leverage required" or foreign government intervention required in a case like this, this is a civil matter and provided a Thai lawyer takes on the case and convinces the court an order is warranted it can be done

Same rule in the uk only a court order can freeze a bankaccount

In Canada inheritance in not community property in a divorce if it is kept separate even during the marriage.

Canadian law is based on British common law so I am surprised there is a claim being launched by an ex

14 years after a divorce. Sounds like only the lawyers are going to make money.