Street lighting.

Badrabbit

Where I live we have street lighting, looks like in the future we will not have street lighting as very few people pay, I pay when asked it's not a problem as the street lighting is important, so the village will now be plunged into darkness! we have a man who is a police officer who collects the money, he returned my money this morning saying "people not pay so no more street lighting" ridiculous!

is this in a gated community ?as in our village i don't recall paying an additional fee for street lighting

interesting maybe another poster has another experience

Not a gated community but a community non the less, someone has to pay for the street lighting, I wouldn't think it was free! I have paid before and paid this time but the money has been returned to me, don't understand this country a lot of the time.

is this in a gated community ?as in our village i don't recall paying an additional fee for street lighting

interesting maybe another poster has another experience

Not a gated community but a community non the less, someone has to pay for the street lighting, I wouldn't think it was free! I have paid before and paid this time but the money has been returned to me, don't understand this country a lot of the time.

well i have just asked my wife and we do not get a bill for street lighting

maybe P E A add a surcharge on everyone's electric bill i agree someone has to pay just how they implement this charge i dont know hardly the job of the local copper but like you say ????????????

Crazy country, no one wants to pay yet the street lighting is on at the moment 09.35 they are not on in the Next Soi, confused!

No one pays for street-lighting. It is government supplied and is funded by taxes. Sounds like some one was operating a con.

If your street lights are out, go to the Or Bor Tor that administers the soi and notify them of the problem. They usually fix the problem within a couple of days.

Crazy country, no one wants to pay yet the street lighting is on at the moment 09.35 they are not on in the Next Soi, confused!

No one pays for street-lighting. It is government supplied and is funded by taxes. Sounds like some one was operating a con.

If your street lights are out, go to the Or Bor Tor that administers the soi and notify them of the problem. They usually fix the problem within a couple of days.

It's certainly not the policeman who is trying to con anyone as he returned my money, seems strange that he does not know that the street lighting is paid for by the government, our street light are on at the moment, maybe I will get the gf to call the electrics office too find out what's going on.

Gf has just said "government pay for lighting on main roads etc" we have to pay for the lighting within the village which makes sense to me, it would appear that part of the village has not paid and there lighting is not working, it costs 200฿ per month per house, no idea what is happening now as my money has been returned to me, the lighting outside my house is on!

As mentioned, go to the Or Bor Tor, any time one of the street lights near our house don't work my wife calls or visit's them and it's promptly repaired and no we don't get billed for street lighting or the repair of.

ok now i am confused you have been paying 200 bht per month for what should be no more than 50 bht to top it off you pay this money to a local officer but you don't know where the funds go after that funds returned all sounds like something is amiss

I live on a small dead-end soi and have never been given a bill for street-lighting, nor, have I ever heard of anyone ever getting a bill for street-lighting.

i hope you mean a cul de sac soi

They mean the same thing. I used the common English usage before the French became "le tres chic".

• Like 2

When electricity was first properly run past my house (instead of having to run a wire from a neighbour) they erected a wooden pole with a strip light shining out over the road by my front gate. They then ran a wire into my house and installed an on/off switch. It was therefore up to me whether I wanted the street light illuminated or not, and yes I paid for the power used. I used to switch it on most evenings and extinguish it when I went to bed. The cost of running a single fluorescent strip is negligible.

Eventually the strip failed and my wife (eventually) got them (don't know if it was Tessaban or PEA) to replace the bulb. After a time of course it failed again, this time nobody bothered to replace and eventually the whole thing rusted away. Consequently no street lights on our road for years now.

I would think it's a private soi, hence no government funded lighting. Our situation is somewhat similar to the OP's. For some reason, most Thais in the estate refuse to pay the lighting and rubbish collection fee (B700/month). Fortunately, there are sufficient farang residents (who all pay), but of course the fee would be lower if the Thais paid too - they are, in effect, being subsidised. The situation was identical in the previous estate in which I resided - in most cases, Thais simply refused to pay. Unless such payment forms part of the contract for the house owner's purchase of the property (which is highly unlikely), these payments are unenforceable.

I would think it's a private soi, hence no government funded lighting. Our situation is somewhat similar to the OP's. For some reason, most Thais in the estate refuse to pay the lighting and rubbish collection fee (B700/month). Fortunately, there are sufficient farang residents (who all pay), but of course the fee would be lower if the Thais paid too - they are, in effect, being subsidised. The situation was identical in the previous estate in which I resided - in most cases, Thais simply refused to pay. Unless such payment forms part of the contract for the house owner's purchase of the property (which is highly unlikely), these payments are unenforceable.

My friend the policeman came to visit this morning, it is private lighting, you are right people are not paying, but he also seemed to hint that the owners of the estate were somehow pocketing the money, well what a surprise!