Best way to spend 6 mos in Thailand: retirement or tourist visa?

Hi, thanks in advance for any information. Sorry if this was mentioned specifically in another thread.

I want to go into semi-retirement, working six months a year in the USA and living six months a year in Thailand. I qualify for a retirement visa. I am 50, I have 800,000 baht and I will also will have the minimum pension income (though I understand that you only need one or the other).

I was just in Thailand and someone told me that I would be better off getting tourist visas and extensions to add up to the six months, rather than a retirement visa. They said it was easier.

Can any of you offer up any knowledge on the subject? Based on what I have read, it seems like those would be my only two options.

Thanks very much!

I do the same and obtain a non imm o-a visa for the purpose of retirement from the Thai Consulate in LA each year. I find it to be a fairly easy, straightforward process.

A Non 'O' ' A' will give you 2 years of stay in Thailand, after the expiry date of the actual visa, a re-entry permit would be required to allow re-entry .

Each entry within the validity of the visa would give you a 1 year permission to stay stamp, so enter the day before expiry of the visa, to get a fresh one year permission to stay stamp

I do the same and obtain a non imm o-a visa for the purpose of retirement from the Thai Consulate in LA each year. I find it to be a fairly easy, straightforward process.

A Non 'O' ' A' will give you 2 years of stay in Thailand, after the expiry date of the actual visa, a re-entry permit would be required to allow re-entry .

Each entry within the validity of the visa would give you a 1 year permission to stay stamp, so enter the day before expiry of the visa, to get a fresh one year permission to stay stamp

The LA Thai Consulate offers only multi entry non imm o a visas which would help in that situation assuming one can meet the timing issues. For me, the timing of our visits does not allow me to take advantage of that basically free additional year.

Cheat sheet for O-A (Multiple)

Los Angeles and Chicago both require that documentation be notarized ( police report, medical report, and income proof)

New York Consulate and Washington D.C. Embassy do not require notarization of documents

If you want to use the Consulates you must live within their geographical areas, even when doing it by mail. Any US resident can use the Embassy in Washington DC

I spend 8 months in Thailand and 4 months back in the US every year, and I have found the O-A Visa the best since the only thing I have to do is my 90 day reports and get a new visa every two years by timing it correctly

• Like 1

Los Angeles and Chicago both require that documentation be notarized ( police report, medical report, and income proof)

New York Consulate and Washington D.C. Embassy do not require notarization of documents

If you want to use the Consulates you must live within their geographical areas, even when doing it by mail. Any US resident can use the Embassy in Washington DC

I spend 8 months in Thailand and 4 months back in the US every year, and I have found the O-A Visa the best since the only thing I have to do is my 90 day reports and get a new visa every two years by timing it correctly

I just obtained a visa via the LA Thai Consulate in August and did not get my medical report nor income proof notorized. Edited by SpokaneAl

Guys, thanks so much for this great information. I really appreciate your time. It sounds like a retirement visa is the way to go and that the O A visa out of the L.A. consulate might be the best type and way to get it, based on my particular situation. I had never even heard of that variation of the retirement visa before.

I am a bit confused about the entry permit though. What do I do if I want to leave the country to do a side trip, say to Laos?

(I also do worry a bit about the part where I have to be in country before the expiration, in the event that I am delayed on any particular year.)

And I hadn't heard that I need medical proof, too.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

• Like 1

The medical proof is pretty easy. The Consulate offers a printable, fill in letter that you take to your doctor. My doctor is usually amused at the small list of very deadly and serious diseases it asks that he verify that I am free of.

That entry by date is what keeps me from taking advantage of the free second year of the visa. In order to take advantage of that great option, I must return substantially earlier than I would like.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

Your visa will be a multiple. During the validity of the visa itself you do not need anything to leave and re-enter.

Once the visa itself has expired, you will need a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. The cost is 1,000 for a single and 3,800 for a multiple. They are only valid for the duration of your current permission to stay.

I just obtained a visa via the LA Thai Consulate in August and did not get my medical report nor income proof notorized.

-----------------------

Don't confuse the Non O visa and the O-A visa which are two different things..

The O-A visa is the one that gives a possibility of two years in Thailand for each visa.

The Non O visa does not require a doctor's certification or a police records check.

The O-A does, and it is also more expensive initially.

They both have their good points and bad points, depending on what you want.

The Non O can be done in Thailand, the O-A must be done in your home country.

(The Non O extension can be done without ever leaving Thailand, if that's what you want).

• Like 1

The medical proof is pretty easy. The Consulate offers a printable, fill in letter that you take to your doctor. My doctor is usually amused at the small list of very deadly and serious diseases it asks that he verify that I am free of.

That entry by date is what keeps me from taking advantage of the free second year of the visa. In order to take advantage of that great option, I must return substantially earlier than I would like.

-----------------------

I agree, it's not hard.

But just suppose that, you do not have a doctor in the U.S.

Or you have not actually lived in the U.S. for several years, and do not have a "local police force", since you have not lived there.

When I retired, I had lived and worked outside the U.S. for nearly 20 years.

Where was my "home of record" and "local police force" then?

Not to mention my "local doctor" ?

As I said before, you pick and choose the best one for your conditions to get the best choice of a visa.

-----------------------

I agree, it's not hard.

But just suppose that, you do not have a doctor in the U.S.

Or you have not actually lived in the U.S. for several years, and do not have a "local police force", since you have not lived there.

When I retired, I had lived and worked outside the U.S. for nearly 20 years.

Where was my "home of record" and "local police force" then?

Not to mention my "local doctor" ?

As I said before, you pick and choose the best one for your conditions to get the best choice of a visa.

Agreed!

I just obtained a visa via the LA Thai Consulate in August and did not get my medical report nor income proof notorized.

SpokaneAl you have reported that before but so long as the LA Consulate still shows the notarization as a requirement on their web site, my advice to the OP would be to follow what they say rather than having it kicked back

For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”) - no single-entry Non-Immigrant O-A visas

Qualifications of an applicant

1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)

2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .

3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.

4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)

(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)

1. Four visa application forms |Download|

2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application. Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.

4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download|

*5. Four copies of:

- applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)

- or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht

- or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.

(When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence. The verification must not be more than three months old.

*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.

8. Effective Immediately - The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $200 - payable by cashiers check or money order only made payble to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los angeles"

source: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

• Like 2

For someone who only wants to stay in Thailand 6 months at a time, a Non Imm O-A visa sounds like overkill, even with cheap/easy access to a medical and police report -- and no notarization requirements. But, yeah, it does allow for an uninterrupted 6 month stay in Thailand (i.e., no exit/return half way through to re-energize the visa). So, if the only hassle you want is a 90-day report to Immigration, which can be done by mail, a Non Imm O-A might be the option.

But a two tourist visa option, with two trips required to Immigration for extensions, plus one exit/return trip, doesn't sound too appetizing. Yes, a 2 (or 3) entry Tourist visa can be easily obtained from the honorary Thai Consulate at Portland -- for $40 each entry. But also from Portland, being of retirement age and having the required financials, you can obtain a multiple Non Imm O visa, which will give you your 6-months in Thailand, but without any trips to Immigration for extensions. Only an exit/return half way thru your stay. And with a visa cost of $200, this compares to $190 for a two entry Tourist Visa ($40 each entry, plus 3600 baht for two extensions). That 10 bucks you'll save isn't worth the cost and hassle of two trips to Immigration during your stay.

See the Portland site http://www.thai-or.com/ for details. Mary Wheeler is who you'll deal with, and she'll be glad to answer any questions by phone or email. Oh, yeah, Portland still issues visas via mail application -- from anywhere in the US.

• Like 2

@Goldbear.

Bare in mind that to get a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement your 800,000 baht must be held in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to your first application and 3 months thereafter. You cannot get an extension of stay straight from a Tourist Visa, you must be on a Non Imm O Visa.

6 months in Thailand, 6 months in USA.

The best solution if possible, would be to get a single entry Non Imm O, that gives you 90 days. (Or multi entry Non Imm O if single not possible)

You can transfer your funds to a Thai bank allowing you the 60 days to season your money, then apply for an extension of stay.

Your extension renewal would then be timed to coincide in the middle of your planned stay, 3 months after you arrive, 3 months before you next go back to the USA, so you have a lot of leeway.

You'd just need a single re-entry permit each time you renew your extension.

No need to leave and re-enter Thailand following that procedure. Just a visit to your local Immigration office every 90 days.

Edited by Faz

@Goldbear.

Bare in mind that to get a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement your 800,000 baht must be held in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to your first application and 3 months thereafter. You cannot get an extension of stay straight from a Tourist Visa, you must be on a Non Imm O Visa.

6 months in Thailand, 6 months in USA.

The best solution if possible, would be to get a single entry Non Imm O, that gives you 90 days. (Or multi entry Non Imm O if single not possible)

You can transfer your funds to a Thai bank allowing you the 60 days to season your money, then apply for an extension of stay.

Your extension renewal would then be timed to coincide in the middle of your planned stay, 3 months after you arrive, 3 months before you next go back to the USA, so you have a lot of leeway.

You'd just need a single re-entry permit each time you renew your extension.

No need to leave and re-enter Thailand following that procedure. Just a visit to your local Immigration office every 90 days.

One of the things that you learn here in Thailand is to try and stay as far away from Immigration or your Embassy as much as possible, and the two suggestion above guarantees that the OP will have to deal with both

You don't have to keep 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank, you can always use the Embassy letter certifying income, but once again why bother. An O-A Multiple will give you the ability to come and go out of Thailand as many times as you want in the first year, and will only cost you a re-entry permit during the second year (1,900 THB, I think)

And why would you wan't to get a Non Imm O that only gives you 3 months and apply for an extension of stay just to stay here for another 3 months and next year go through the same time wasting process again. Yes, a Non Immigrant 0 is great if you are going to stay in Thailand or if you don't qualify for a Non Imm O based upon retirement but is a waste of time if you are going to go back to the US every 6 month and qualify for a Non Immigrant O-A, as the OP has stated that he does

Finally, if you follow the above instructions you are going to have to fill out the FBAR form for the US Treasury Department every year because you will have more than $10,000 in a foreign bank, for no good reason

And why would you wan't to get a Non Imm O that only gives you 3 months and apply for an extension of stay just to stay here for another 3 months and next year go through the same time wasting process again. Yes, a Non Immigrant 0 is great if you are going to stay in Thailand or if you don't qualify for a Non Imm O based upon retirement but is a waste of time if you are going to go back to the US every 6 month and qualify for a Non Immigrant O-A, as the OP has stated that he does

That is not correct. He would only have to get to the non-o visa once to get the first one year extension. After that he would only have to apply for the extension of stay. Which is normally a short visit to immigration.

As said before his first extension would be applied for 2 to 3 months after arrival which would allow for his arrival date to be flexible each year.

• Like 1

One of the things that you learn here in Thailand is to try and stay as far away from Immigration or your Embassy as much as possible, and the two suggestion above guarantees that the OP will have to deal with both

If you're including my suggestion of a multiple entry Non Imm O visa, you're wrong -- no Embassy or Immigration dealing involved at all. Only the exit/return junket mid stay. Which could interrupt those tanning rays....unlike with a Non Imm O-A.

So, I do agree the Non Imm O-A can be an attractive option, especially now that the Thai Embassy in DC no longer requires the confusing notarization goat rope. And, the medical and police reports, in many situations, should be stress free -- and of no real cost. So, yeah, certainly put this option at or near the top.

Especially if you can be somewhat flexible on your annual trips to Thailand. Example: Obtain the O-A visa in mid January; travel to Thailand end of January; do your 6 mos of beach time, without need of exit, only requiring a 90-day report to Immigration, which you can mail, or have your beach boy courier. Return to US end of July (although you now have considerable flexibility over that 6-month stay option, should you want to stay longer). Next year, plan to head to Thailand late December or early January, i.e. before your Non Imm O-A visa expires. Result: Another 6 months, or more, with only a 90-day report involved. All for the price of getting only one Non Imm O-A visa the previous January.

Several options this thread. Would have to agree with LSMan that the O-A is seemingly the most attractive.

I have to disagree with one statement. My US residence is in Missouri, in the Chicago Consulate zone Twice I have gotten a 90 day visa from Los Angeles, once in person and the other time by mail. I used the Chicago consulate on one trip. They require financial proof before issuing a visa, LA did not. In LA, if you apply in person, you pick up the visa, the next day. In Chicago it takes one additional day.