Wimax News

The Coder

Found it interesting that Sprint in the US is investing $3 billion in WiMax that will cover 85% of US households next year. They expect over 100 million customers the following year. Speed will be 2-4mpbs and cost less than DSL. It is a 4G network that marries CDMA phone, EVDO services, and WiMax together. Intel starts production of WiMax chips for notebooks later this year and surely this will become a must have feature like WiFi is today.

So it begs the question, does Thailand have a WiMax roadmap? I know they did some trials in several provinces a year ago, but haven't heard anything since.

Roadmap? You'll only get blank looks if you ask anyone about roadmaps. Everything depends on politics, and you'll need to wait until some politician benefits a lot from a deal with some company in order to get anything rolling.

However, it is a good sign that Intel is supposed to be integrating WiMax into their next Centrino chipset (or was it the one after the next?). That should help push adoption quite a bit.

I think there are Wimax trials currently on-going in Chiang Mai, Roi Et and Khorat?

Sprint's press release is interesting, but little of it is believable. They've got too many disparate networks (Sprint legacy, cell, Nextel), and are struggling. I think this 'plan' is an attempt to mollify critics (financial analysts), and arrest the decline in stock price.