Bangkok taxi driver returns wallet to Japanese tourist

webfact

Taxi driver returns wallet to Japanese tourist
By Coconuts Bangkok

47-450x300.jpg
Photo: MThai

BANGKOK: -- An army lieutenant who took up a second job as a taxi driver returned a Japanese man’s wallet, who was nice enough to send his tour agent to pick it up today.

Punnapa Fuangfoo, representative of Tour Japan travel agency, met with Lt. Thanorm Khetsinboon today at the JS100 radio station to retrieve the wallet of Jun Kuwaki, which contained about THB21,000 in Japanese yen.

Thanorm said he picked up a Kuwaki on Ratchada Road and dropped him off in Soi Sukhumvit 23 on Friday before discovering his wallet, which contained identification, under the seat.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/12/taxi-driver-returns-wallet-japanese-tourist

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-12

• Like 1

Right on schedule....... I often thought it would be amusing to take 100 wallets with a some cash

in them and clear ID, and drop them in 100 taxis. How many do you think would come back?

The last time I forgot my mobile phone in a taxi, I called my number and the taxi driver ransomed my

phone back to me..

• Like 1

Are these events being scripted by the TAT?

----------- -------------

For your information..... I have personally had my lost wallet, passport, an airline ticket, and $300 dollars in U.S cash returned by a Thai taxi driver when I mistakenly left it in his taxi.

That was quite a few years ago now, but I can personally attest to the fact that it does indeed happen.

When he found my valuables, he actually drove to the guesthouse where I was staying (where he had dropped me off earlier) and asked the guesthouse owner to give it to me.

He never asked me, nor would he accept, a reward for returning it to me.

I see, it is a good thing, that he did that.

What I don't get: why and how is this news- worthy?

He returned a wallet!

Where I come from, people do that everyday and it will not end up as headline- news!

People do that stuff and it is nice...but only on a very slow news- day and only under outstanding circumstances, is this news!

I wonder how many of you Thai bashing sour moaners would return a wallet full of cash?

If my family was starving, I would keep the wallet. If I was flush with cash, I would return

the wallet. Morality always has a certain dependence on financial circumstances....

Actually Thailand did not do that bad in the famous Readers Digest Lost Wallet test.

Gotta love Norway... :-)

http://www.xys.org/forum/db/4/155/242.html

Percentage of lost wallets returned per country:

(city results are at the end of the post)

-------------------------------------------------

Norway 100%

Denmark 100%

Singapore 90%

New Zealand 83%

Finland 80%

Scotland 80%

Australia 70%

Japan 70%

South Korea 70%

Spain 70%

Austria 70%

Sweden 70%

U.S. 67%

England 67%

India 65%

Canada 64%

France 60%

Brazil 60%

Netherlands 60%

Thailand 55%

Belgium 50%

Taiwan 50%

Malaysia 50%

Germany 45%

Portugal 45%

Argentina 44%

Russia 43%

Philippines 40%

Wales 40%

Italy 35%

Switzerland 35%

China (Hong Kong): 30%

Mexico 21%

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I have a question, not sure if anyone knows. A few times when I've been refused by a drive they said that their "card" was broken or out of money or something like that, while pointing at something under the steering wheel. That was the excuse for not going. Anyone know what that is? But really if its broken or about to expire why would they stop? Or at least turn off the "available" light and just pull up to someone and say "I can take you a short distance"

edit: maybe its not card they are saying? Gas?

Edited by taony

He returned a wallet!

Where I come from, people do that everyday and it will not end up as headline- news!

People do that stuff and it is nice...but only on a very slow news- day and only under outstanding circumstances, is this news!

"Where I come from, people do that everyday and it will not end up as headline- news!"

How do you know that? If the incidents are not reported then you would not know that they happened.

He returned a wallet!

"Where I come from, people do that everyday and it will not end up as headline- news!"

How do you know that? If the incidents are not reported then you would not know that they happened.

Oh, so clever! coffee1.gif

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody sees it...

Edited by DM07

He returned a wallet!

But in LOS, where so much else is thievery and robbery, an instance of a Thai doing the right thing becomes newsworthy.