Linux VPS multiple domains and other questions

Gopro

Could some linux users advise please

1. Can a linux VPS host multiple domains easily?

2. If not -is it best just to have a single domain on a single VPS?

3. I like the idea of a managed VPS but the cost I find is expensive for the amount of domains I wish to host, hence looking to managing my own with outside support. Does anyone recommend a better solution v's cost offering?

4. I have an online cart being built. I want to host it on a linux VPS with cpanel installed, once cpanel is installed, is the structure and after configuration just the same as a standard cpanel hosting service? I.e I know how to use cpanel somewhat although I'm not an expert. I'm looking to see if a vps changes the ball game for me in terms of file structures etc through cpanel vps.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Gopro

1. Yes

2. Sometimes worth it anyway but depends on the value of each site. If not huge then sharings cost effective.

3. Message me, fully answering this question publically is against forum rules. But simply, unmanaged server with seperate management is feasible, cost effective and something a discussion can arrange.

4. As gregory mentioned, cpanel is expensive. Great for a cheap shared hosting with 100 customers on a server but not the cheapest on a vps. I can recommend webmin and virtualmin. Not quite as user friendly but actually more powerful and completely free.

4. As gregory mentioned, cpanel is expensive. Great for a cheap shared hosting with 100 customers on a server but not the cheapest on a vps. I can recommend webmin and virtualmin. Not quite as user friendly but actually more powerful and completely free.

there are several free server management GUI available, I use ISPConfig 3 and am happy with it.

Technically you can run as many domains as you have available ports on the host IP address... Just need to configure DNS to point at the IP:port# for the specific domain...

Correct if you want a different server software for each site, but unnecessary and never done.

Apache, nginx, iis etc can all run unlimited sites (resource dependant)on the same port and ip. Running web on anything other than port 80 or 443 is just bad, real bad!