Be careful out there

cornishcarlos

Very sad as it always is. RIP man.

When its your turn to go, thats it i believe.

All the best riding practices,all the best safety gear, usually isn't going to help in this type scenario.

Every single time you are on your bike, you must realise that this is a possibilty and could happen to anyone of us at any time.

• Like 1

So sad.

May he rest well and be remembered.

Every now and then this forum makes me think I shoud get a big bike again, but this is a good reminder that I should only go a little faster than traffic and my little scooter keeps me in check.

For slow speed but just as fun, I really liked adventure dirt riding with my D-Tracker 250 (with KLX wheels).

We woud ride slow off road but the trails were so technical it was a lot of fun (full gear saved me many times though).

Too bad I was horrible at dirt biking so I gave it up.

My son died 10 years ago on samui on a motorcycle the road was wet and he hit a hole covered in water and went head first into a truck it's not just the bad drivers out there but the poorly maintained roads strange but the hole was filled in two weeks later

Sorry to hear that but you are correct, so many things out here to be more vigilant about.

It always seems like a waste of life but then at least people are not afraid to live and do the things they enjoy :)

Stay safe everyone.

^

Very sorry to hear about your son, but this accident was on the mainland approaching the ferry pier, where the road is actually in decent condition. No argument that the Samui roads are very poor in spots, though major sections of the ring-road have been black-topped in the last couple of years.

If the info in the OP is correct, a distracted driver turned without indicating his intention in front of a bike- this is the #1 cause of multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents, and is a very difficult (or even impossible, depending on the circumstances) thing to defend against, especially when the area where the turn is made is in a clearly illegal spot.

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do- this is why I gear up. I don't know how this rider was dressed or if anything would have saved him, but the vast majority of bike crashes end in injury rather than death, and the thought of being disabled worries me more than anything else- proper gear can help minimize injuries, and hopefully less experienced riders won't look at this example as an inevitable outcome and will not use it to justify minimal protection.

I didn't post all the pics as I don't think it serves any purpose.

There was a helmet next to the guy in the road, looks like someone must have removed it or it would not have been right next to him. He was kitted out but looking at the impact, not sure anything would have saved him?

^^

We don't need the pics...

It's likely nothing would have saved him, but that's in this particular case for this particular rider- in any event, that's not the point I was making. We will likely have the 'he was wearing a helmet and still died' comments, but that doesn't reflect on the majority of other scenarios, most of which end in injury rather than death and which a rider is far more likely to experience, and that this accident shouldn't be some sort of cherry-picked justification for wearing less than the best gear. If you dress minimally that's your choice, but at least rationalize it for the right reasons (usually comfort or laziness) rather than looking at the ultimate price as an inevitability.

Edited by RubberSideDown

RIP fallen bro:(

u turning <deleted> careless trucks are big problem here in Thailand. many times i needed to do acrobatic maneuvers bc of a vehicle wants to us turn suddenly without any notice and without even checking.

all legal u turns at every 2 km are also a problem if you ask me. invitation to accident and according to people, u turns are major cause of accidents here.

Only in Thailand i have seen that many u turns!

RIP.

Really drives home the point that we all need to be safe out there. Here is someone on a high-viz bike who was still not noticed.

RIP to the rider... I can't count the number of times that some random driver / rider has pulled out in front of me without even looking to see if someone is approaching...

I adopt the attitude that every driver on the road in Thailand is trying to kill me... So far, so good, knock wood...

That's one of the best defensive driving techniques you can use .... works for me too!

A sad event.

RIP

But what was the motorcycle driver doing in the middle of the road?

You're obviously not a seasoned biker are you?

No, I'm not, although I ride my bike sometimes.

But as a car driver I have observed this situation many times.

The motorcycle driver was hoping to pass the car while he could see that he was turning, illegally, but that's not the point.

By hoping, he lost his life.

The OP is very right.......Be careful out there............. and don't rely on hope.