Looking for iphone repair place (Lamai area)

So my daughter watered my iphone 4s. The touchscreen is only partially responding now, even after a week of drying. So I think it needs to be replaced - hope that will solve the issue. Any recommendations for repair? However, I am a bit concerned about security:

I cannot make a backup with iTunes on my Mac, because every time I try, it says that there is not enough space left on the iphone to do this! (Seems that although the backup goes onto the Mac of course, some data has to still be written on the iphone during the process but it is absolutely full. ) I can also not reset it completely anymore, neither through iTunes nor through the phone itself (due to the non-responding touchpad) saai.gif I cannot even delete apps or any data, neither via the touchscreen nor over iTunes.

I have apps like paypal, ebay, amazon etc. on it and I really feel uneasy handing it over to some shady repair guy only to find all of my access data hacked...

Should I completely refrain from having it done in Thailand? Should I buy another one here (new? Used?) if so, where to go?

Edited by ocejanic

I would take it to Boyd at MNet, just up the hill from Tesco in Chawang on the right hand side (near Siresin) ... he's not going to be interested in what is on your phone... Although I suspect that water damage is usually not repairable, so it may be toast! He's been the local Apple guru for several years now, on Samui, with a good reputation.. thumbsup.gif

Icare is supposed to open sometime this month, just in front of Tesco Chawang, that would also be an alternative place to try... (if and when open) ...wink.png

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I tried to search this forum for:

"iphone rapair" which showed this thread

"iphone" which shows loads and loads of threads, thanks to the automatically added plug "Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app"

"repair" also showed many thread, but nothing specifically mentioning iphone repair, although there were a few about ipod

So, perhaps you could advice on the recommended search word, so that future users may use?

Out of curiosity, I tried to search this forum for:

"iphone rapair" which showed this thread

"iphone" which shows loads and loads of threads, thanks to the automatically added plug "Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app"

"repair" also showed many thread, but nothing specifically mentioning iphone repair, although there were a few about ipod

So, perhaps you could advice on the recommended search word, so that future users may use?

Well perhaps no one has specifically asked about Iphones, in the past (I cannot remember!....blink.pngtongue.png ) so would not show up in the search!

But when it comes to anything Apple on Samui, those I suggest would be the best bets (assuming Icare is open... they would cover warranty work)

The OP's warranty would be void in his situation if that new...sad.png

No idea about Apps I get lost on all that fan-dangled stuff!!... Tropo!

• Like 1

Thanks. I take it to Boyd, who has also fixed my MacBook.

Is it any better to buy iphones here instead of Germany - considering prices for new and used ones?

Depends on German taxes, I know for Russians, Apple stuff is a bargain here, because of taxes!!

You could easily check Mac store on line, in Germany and here too to get a good idea of base price!

I take it the phone being wet was not fixable? sad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Found a great repair guy in a tiny "phone repair" shop in South end of Chaweng, opposite the "Hotel Mercure Chaweng Tana", on the beach sude of the beach road. Guy had curly hair and looked somewhat Indian.

I walked in, put my iphone on his desk, and within minutes he had disassambled the display, tested, showed me that even a new display which he had connected didn't work on my phone, si concluded that some chip on the mainboard was defect, told me it would take 2 hrs and in case it still wouldn't work he would of course charge nothing.

I waited 1 hr on the beach and for 2000 Baht got a fully functional iphone with new chip AND new GENUINE display (!).

Two thumbs up for the guy. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

I would take it to Boyd at MNet, just up the hill from Tesco in Chawang on the right hand side (near Siresin) ... he's not going to be interested in what is on your phone... Although I suspect that water damage is usually not repairable, so it may be toast! He's been the local Apple guru for several years now, on Samui, with a good reputation.. thumbsup.gif

Icare is supposed to open sometime this month, just in front of Tesco Chawang, that would also be an alternative place to try... (if and when open) ...wink.png

Mine now when I touch the screen it doesn't move have to turn off and on about 20 times